Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S5 Wireless Charger (PHOTO)

dpham00 likes this.

Default Re: Galaxy S5 Wireless Charger (PHOTO)

I really wish Samsung would just make it standard. I don't mind paying a little more just annoyed that it is harder to find cases with the Wireless back

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    droidxixis likes this.

Question please, gents:

how much thicker will this "Wireless Charging Caseback" be?

i.e. how much additional thickness would we have to suffer for the privilege of being able to charge wirelessly?

as much as i find this wireless charging idea to be nifty, especially by one's bedside nightstand, i question this:

- do i prefer having a white cable (w/micro usb plug) discreetly at my nightstand, or, would i prefer having a black 3"x3" square "coaster-like" flat object sitting there ALL the time. Being there ALL the time is quite likely worse than having a white tiny cable next to one's bed or mattress. This black "coaster" would be there at ALL times!
    atg284 likes this.

I don't have exact dimensions, but On my note 3, the Wireless charging back is noticeably thicker and heavier.

The advantage is that when I wake up, I don't accidentally hit the phone off the table with the cord dangling. Has happened to me before. Also sometimes my daughter will grab the phone without looking to see if the cord is attached.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    atg284 likes this.

I'm thinking I'll buy this someone after its available and won't cost an arm and a leg

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Default Galaxy S5 Wireless Charger (PHOTO)

As long as aftermarket cases still fit, that's what I'm worried about.

Does anyone know if those 3rd party charging pads will work for s5, or is samsung using proprietary tech (not Qi?) ?

Not interested in a flat charging pad. Tilted is better IMO.
    Denisej likes this.

I'm torn over getting one. They have the flip cases too and the green is purty. When they're in store I'll need to look at it...and see how annoying the little flap on the port is.

Global Posts
    1,424 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rahxephon View Post
    As long as aftermarket cases still fit, that's what I'm worried about.

Does anyone know if those 3rd party charging pads will work for s5, or is samsung using proprietary tech (not Qi?) ?
    I think any Qi charging pad will work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

still, the most important aspect for me is how much thicker the wireless charging caseback will be?!?
    i do not wish to "contaminate" my S5's attractiveness and slimness by a thick wireless case! then again, that microUSB3 plug is really clunky to plug in and unplug each and every day! also: that little door to water resist the microUSB3 port is sure to snap off soon -- it is so very flimsy! designed and planned obsolescence?

where would one order the original Samsung wireless charging "set" (pad + caseback)?

it's not available yet, so it seems.

also: no one can tell us how much thicker and what colors those casebacks come in. i have a white phone and i certainly don't want to be forced to switch to a black "wireless charging compatible caseback"!!

Here it is on Amazon for $ 30 in black, no flip cover. I ordered mine yesterday. They are preorder and it looks like a month out.

Edit: They are Qi specification.

Samsung Wireless Charging Cover for Samsung Galaxy S5 - Retail Packaging - Black by Samsung http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ITI24EK/...idcentral00-20

Sent from my SM-G900P using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by SlackBlade View Post

"...They are preorder and it looks like a month out..."

Now, did you read that as "a month out"? It actually says 1-3 months! I'm kidding around -- I do the same thing: $5 to $10, i hear that as $5. haha.

SlackBlade likes this.

I looked on the Samsung website and it said the size is the same just the inside lining is different. I hope so because it doesn't make any sense if no phone cases will fit.

Posted via Android Central App
    SlackBlade likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tomadamsphoto View Post
    I looked on the Samsung website and it said the size is the same just the inside lining is different. I hope so because it doesn't make any sense if no phone cases will fit.

Is it possible to charge through a case?

Global Posts
    723 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomadamsphoto View Post

I hope so to but I have my doubt's. Every other wireless charging back from Samsung has been thicker than the standard one.

LCAcor likes this.

I'm still waiting for the wireless S-View flip cover

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jschu22 View Post
    I hope so to but I have my doubt's. Every other wireless charging back from Samsung has been thicker than the standard one.

@jschu22: i think you're right about the past wireless charging covers. on this one, however, if you were to see the 2 pics posted on samsung.com's site, the inside of the cover looks very very simple, barely anything at all, besides a few tiny pinhead-sized contacts (presumably for the charging) and a tiny metal plate (presumably for the inductive waves to get absorbed). these do not look that thick to me.

net/net: for me, as much as i dislike having a thicker phone with me ALL the time, the negatives of having to open that flimsy and easy to break off micro USB3 port cover each day multiple times (at my desktop pc during the day, next to my bed at night), it is better to live with a tiny amount of extra thickness and live with that coaster-like black charging pad at all times, rather than having to open and close that flimsy cover multiple times each day.

i don't really want that black coaster right there next to my desktop keyboard at all times, but that beats having to open/close the port cover AND having a dangling white cable hanging around all the time as well.

it's an imperfect solution, especially with the thickness of the charging pad. i'd be happier if that charging pad were to be thinner, i.e. 1/8" thick as opposed to what appears to be around 1/2" thick now (just guesstimating from the pictures).

what do y'all think?

my gut doesn't believe what these GooseWhite guys are saying:

Qi Wireless Charger Kit for Samsung Galaxy S5 | goosewhite

Quote Originally Posted by Dualmonitors View Post
    my gut doesn't believe what these GooseWhite guys are saying:

Qi Wireless Charger Kit for Samsung Galaxy S5 | goosewhite
    What part do you not believe specifically?

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

coming soon:

Galaxy S 5 Wireless Charging S-View Flip Cover, Black

Quote Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
    I'm still waiting for the wireless S-View flip cover

When are the wireless charging covers going to be released? Amazon has it but says 1-3 months

personally, i'm interested in thin.

thus, these flip cases are not of personal interest.

they are very well designed, however, as the built-in window gives the most important tidbits without the need to open it up.

I too want to try this wireless charging concept, mainly because of the sealed USB port on the S5 and the fact I plug my phones in at least 3 or 4 times a day. Samsung's site has a sign-up page and when the wireless rear covers come in stock they will alert you. It says they expect stock within 2 weeks last time I checked. I have looked at a lot of third party Qi charging pads and none of them look too nice, either badly-shaped, no grip, sketchy reviews, cheap looking construction, etc. I think I will wait for the Samsung charging pad as it appears to have a textured surface that might grip the phone. Can't understand why any of these manufacturers would make a charging pad without some kind of textured/grippy surface.

Quote Originally Posted by globalexpresspilot View Post
    ... I have looked at a lot of third party Qi charging pads and none of them look too nice, either badly-shaped, no grip, sketchy reviews, cheap looking construction, etc. I think I will wait for the Samsung charging pad as it appears to have a textured surface that might grip the phone. Can't understand why any of these manufacturers would make a charging pad without some kind of textured/grippy surface.
    Qi charging pads do not need a lot (or any) texture because most are charging on a flat surface. I have 2 different Qi chargers and one is a 3 coil and the other is a one coil. 3 coil is easier to line up, but my 1 coil charges faster. The 1 coil I use is:

CHOE UPGRADED Qi Wireless Charger Charging Pad for Nexus 5, Nexus 7... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C40OG22/...idcentral00-20 for $24.99

And you have to buy or use an existing wall wort between 1000 & 2000 mw. I bought:

Amazon Kindle 9W PowerFast Adapter for Accelerated Charging by Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006GWO5WK/...idcentral00-20 for $19.99.

These worked on my S3 and I will be trying it out for my S5 and I should have no problems I hope.

thanks for the suggestion of the non-Samsung branded wireless charger.

the whole idea of having to concern myself with how warm an off-brand wireless charger would make my S5, etc, all worry me to some extent. these issues were written about by some of the reviews on that charger.

as unpleasant as it is to have to wait for the Samsung accessories to come out, i know i'd regret not waiting for them once they do become available. i even worry about an off brand foil-like accessory to the inside of the caseback. these have the possibility of screwing things up if designed poorly. with the original, Samsung-branded wireless caseback, we know the foil inductance receiving foil is permanently ON the caseback itself and that it is properly designed, thereby lending a level of peace of mind.

i'm impatiently waiting for the Samsung wireless charger to come out. it's ridiculous that they have this inconvenient microUSB3 port cover and yet get the phone out the door but the wireless charger with no "available date" whatsoever. their samsung.com website is also sorely lacking. poor feedback to customers. it doesn't say at all when it is expected. when i so-called "pre-ordered", it didn't even take a credit card!! all they did was to send me an email saying that they'll notify me when the charger becomes available and then i can place an order. well, that's not pre-order! that is pre-notification! yikes. poorly run website.
    SlackBlade likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast