Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S5: Third-party/extended batteries

S5 will probably be my first Android phone (last is iPhone) with a choice of swapping a battery that increases more battery life. Ill wait until there are enough reviews for different capacities of extended batteries, just wondering which is going to be my first.

Update:

Although I have been on iPhones for years and LOVE them a lot, I have to admit GS5 is a great device. Been fiddled with my new Galaxy S5 since yesterday and the battery life is still at ~35 %( moderate usage), but as it has an option to swap out spare or extended batteries, I also placed orders for a slim extended battery on mpj and a OEM on Amazon. Gonna post my battery result later.

Both of IOS and Android have pros and cons for sure. I thought I would be stumbling for days getting used to it, just figured it out very quickly. The grip is comfortable to hold, screen is awesome, and everything on the s5 just seems to be good enough for me!

Last edited by dsgroub; 04-18-2014 at 01:01 AM.

Global Posts
    1,654 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Default re: GS5 third-party/extended batteries

Uhm... Ok... but there are plenty of higher capacity batteries for the S5 already in use. The higher capacity batteries are not going to be specific for the S5. Mophie batteries are high quality. Maybe I don't completely understand what you are trying to say.
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.
    Premium1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Uhm... Ok... but there are plenty of higher capacity batteries for the S5 already in use. The higher capacity batteries are not going to be specific for the S5. Mophie batteries are high quality. Maybe I don't completely understand what you are trying to say.
    I think OP means user replaceable batteries that go into the phone versus an external solution you suggested.

I'm with you though I love mophie. I'll probably get two of their powerstation xl's to replace my hypershop plugs that died in less than a year.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    iPhone 5S+Galaxy S5 user. Google Glass Explorer.

Follow Me:

App.Net: sleepnclass
    Twitter: sleepnclass

Peace & Blessings.

I'm hoping Samsung does an external battery charger and battery combo pack like they have done in the past. That's going to make me switch away from my iPhone for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by I Monarch View Post
    I'm hoping Samsung does an external battery charger and battery combo pack like they have done in the past. That's going to make me switch away from my iPhone for a while.
    this.

Follow Me:

Peace & Blessings.

They won't in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Xzibit3 View Post
    They won't in the U.S.
    I was able to get one off of amazon for my note 2

Follow Me:

Peace & Blessings.

Quote Originally Posted by deadp1xel View Post
    I was able to get one off of amazon for my note 2
    Oh, from what seller? I would like that to come with my S5, and was the phone in good condition?

Oh, from what seller? I would like that to come with my S5, and was the phone in good condition?
    I meant he external battery. It was a samsung original battery shipped and sold by amazon.

Follow Me:

Peace & Blessings.

I meant he external battery. It was a samsung original battery shipped and sold by amazon.
    Oh.

Oh.
    Ya sorry.

Follow Me:

Peace & Blessings.

Default Re: GS5 third-party/extended batteries

No problem, I'll just end up buying the extra battery and battery charger thing.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I am focusing on several batteries already. Will Samsung launch official extended battery?

No problem, I'll just end up buying the extra battery and battery charger thing.
    I want to buy that too. Hopefully it will be available soon.

Follow Me:

Peace & Blessings.

I want to buy that too. Hopefully it will be available soon.
    Agreed.

I can't wait to see some wireless charging options!

Quote Originally Posted by dsgroub View Post
    I am focusing on several batteries already. Will Samsung launch official extended battery?
    I doubt, they want you to buy the extra battery and portable battery charger.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Well, then, I still have to wait for extended batteries of ZL or Mpj, mugen is way too expensive for me.
    tfbrown69 likes this.

I used third-party batteries for the S1 with the external charger and found it annoying and not as good (crappy choice in battery perhaps)

I much preferred using 'real' OEM batteries (claimed, but didn't say Samsung and didn't seem to have NFC when I used them) for the S3.

Every once in a while I seemed to get a warning about the battery not being permitted, but that was sporadic and usually didn't stick, but I'd usually like to give it at least a couple of weeks to see if anyone has any problems with 'em.

Looks like the OEM batteries on ebay are 25-32 range, which isn't bad, but I'm wondering if I should make due and wait a couple of weeks/months and see if they come down to where I can buy a couple for less than that.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Default Re: Galaxy S5: Third-party/extended batteries

Got mine yesterday and feel it is an impressive device with good battery life so far.

I see Anker still has not released a battery for the S5 yet. Is there another 3rd party manufacturer that is as reliable as Anker and has released their battery for sale?

I'd rather avoid an insurance claim because I got a cheap battery that explodes and destroys my phone, but on the same token I'd rather not pay Samsung's exorbitant prices for a battery.

My new S5 battery drains fast and I don't considered my usage "heavy". Is it necessary to do some fully charge cycles?
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Quote Originally Posted by arisamoe View Post
    My new S5 battery drains fast and I don't considered my usage "heavy". Is it necessary to do some fully charge cycles?
    Based upon my own experience, I’ll have to fully charge a new extended battery several times because the phone may fail to read it correctly, but with a new stock battery I think its unnecessary.

Anker 7500mAh Extended Battery Combo for Samsung Galaxy S5 - TPU Back Cover Included
    http://www.amazon.com/Anker%C2%AE-75...0-20&m1k=vb_ac

I received this product compliments of Anker Direct for review and feedback purposes. Following are my initial thoughts after using the Battery/Cover combination for approximately 1 week:

Packaging - The Battery and Replacement Cover arrived securely packaged with warranty/contact information as I've come to expect from Anker.

The Battery - 7500mAh almost triples the original battery life of your Samsung Galaxy S5 at the expense of NFC functionality. I went from having to charge my phone numerous times throughout the work day to not even thinking about where my wall charger or car charger were for over 24hrs. of extremely high usage, including everything from calls, web browsing, video chat, video streaming and camera usage. Anker warns that due to size of battery and cover there may be negative effects on signal strength however in my experience this has not been an issue. Anker took all the features of the phone internals (micro sd/sim/speaker) into consideration, leaving all of these areas fully exposed without the need to remove the battery.

The Cover - The cover replaces the original Samsung back cover, providing exceptional phone protection, covering your phone's corners, sides and back. Ease of access to all buttons and constructed of a soft TPU material adding a nice soft texture and grip to your phone. Unfortunately this comes at the expense of water resistance, at every reboot the phone will warn you to check the back cover, not a concern for most, but those who purchased the Galaxy S5 on the basis of water resistance may want to stay away from this battery if they want to be chained to an ac outlet or external battery (Highly recommend the Anker Astro Battery line if this is more your style Anker 2nd Gen Astro3 12000mAh External Battery Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology)

Warranty - 18 months!!! What manufacturer stands behind their products, not to mentions batteries for this length of time?

Cons - In my particular usage the only potential con is the enormous size of the battery and cover, however the additional usage time greatly outweighs the added bulk.

All in all, I love the Battery and Cover, inexpensive and quality/features and warranty are top notch compared to the competition, great addition to my Anker family of accessories.

Totally agree.For a new extended battery,you need to charge and fully drain the battery for at least 3 times,then the battery would be in best condition.I bought an Onite extended battery for my S5,and the seller told me to do so.Till now,it works well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dsgroub View Post
    Got mine yesterday and feel it is an impressive device with good battery life so far.
    Where did you get it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast