USB cable question

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I currently use a USB extension cable (when charging) because the cable that came with my current phone is ridiculously short. I know S5 has USB 3.0 and I believe I had read that this will mean faster charging. Will I need to buy a new 3.0 extension in order to take advantage of the speedier charging?

Last edited:

iOS Gravity

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I currently use a USB extension cable (when charging) because the cable that came with my current phone is ridiculously short. I know S5 has USB 3.0 and I believe I had read that this will mean faster charging. Will I need to buy a new 3.0 extension in order to take advantage of the speedier charging?

I always thought that it meant files would transfer faster. Nothing about charging.

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
The new charging block is 5.2v where as all previous are 5v. The cable will not matter as much as long as you are still using the 5.2v block it came with. The USB 3.0 is for fast data transfer (pictures, music, video, etc...).

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I am unsure of this USB 3.0 issue as well. I am getting my S5 this week, moving from iPhone, but I have several micro-USB cables lying around.

Can I charge and sync the S5 with an old micro USB 2.0 cable? Or will I have to purchase all new 3.0 cables for this phone? Thanks guys!

ImNoPrince

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I thought the 3.0 is 2amp, 2.0 is 1amp and USB is 0.5amp when it comes to charging from most Ports . However if you use a 2amp charger with a 2.0 cable it will still charge at the 2amps if the Phones port is set for that much draw. Now they might have some crazy circut that pulls from the Micro and 3.0 to get you more but still will only be 2amp if that's what the charger is putting out.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So I apologize if this seems like a crazy question, but when you're trying to watch playoff hockey and help your wife research a phone... And I also don't want to make a new thread when an existing one can work as well.

Anyway, the current micro USB chargers we've all come to know and love... Amperage and charging power aside, let's keep it simple here. She has a micro USB charger for her Droid 4. I had it for my Droid 4 and I have it for my Droid Maxx. I have it for my old Kindle. Her tablet. Her old HTC phone a few years ago. Etc. We also have the corresponding micro USB car chargers as well.

Will these chargers be able to work with the Samsung Galaxy S5? OR, is this a brand new type of charger that isn't micro USB, meaning that we have to get new home and car chargers (akin to when Apple switched to its Lightning connection for its newer devices)?

We haven't been to the VZW store to see one in person to check on this, and the VZW site does nothing to help to answer these questions, so this is the quickest way for me to ask and get clarification. VZW has a nice deal where you get a S5 or HTC One M8 (the only ones we'll consider) and get a second free, and my wife and mother in law are due for phones, but if we have to buy all new charging equipment, it may factor into the decision.

ImNoPrince

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Short answer is no they will still charge off old items you have , no different then plugging them in a PC . However they will take much longer to charge and might even drain if trying to use features in the car while on a smaller amp charger. The good thing is you get 1 charger so home will be no issue.

Also the Cables ( usb- MicroUsb) will still be fine you might just need to upgrade the Charger part to get 2amp ones

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I just ordered a 2.1 amp car charger with 3.0 cable for $6 in ebay. So, it's not really that expensive to upgrade your cables.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Short answer is no they will still charge off old items you have , no different then plugging them in a PC . However they will take much longer to charge and might even drain if trying to use features in the car while on a smaller amp charger. The good thing is you get 1 charger so home will be no issue.

Also the Cables ( usb- MicroUsb) will still be fine you might just need to upgrade the Charger part to get 2amp ones

Well, first off, thanks for your answer because it helps very immensely.

Second, my car charger is weak for my Droid Maxx but hers is super strong and really charges my Maxx well. So, I figure she'll buy a new car charger, I'll take her old one, and that'll solve that issue. Eventually I'll get an extra wire or two for her so she doesn't have to run to the bedroom every time and grab the wire (which I do now for my Droid Maxx's charger -- on the oft chance I need to charge it; I usually don't have charge issues with the Maxx.)

Enough rambling. You helped me, and I am very thankful for that.

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
My issue is once I get the S5 I will be over with the 2 Iphones ( wife and kids) plus the booster I normally have plugged in for whereever we are going . I'm going to most likely pick up one of these as I already have an AC one at home and with my Camping gear. It works great charging everything .

Saicoo 8A 40W 4 USB High Output Ports Car Charger 83cm Cable Length Apple Samsun | eBay

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H2FK7O0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3593711

ImNoPrince

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks they also have a 5 port 40W one as well on Amazon . I'm just waiting to see what I'm going to do Phone wise and if I'm going wireless charging once I do if available on the Phone I get.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I thought the 3.0 is 2amp, 2.0 is 1amp and USB is 0.5amp when it comes to charging from most Ports . However if you use a 2amp charger with a 2.0 cable it will still charge at the 2amps if the Phones port is set for that much draw. Now they might have some crazy circut that pulls from the Micro and 3.0 to get you more but still will only be 2amp if that's what the charger is putting out.

The Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II charger was usb 2.0 and charged at 2a. I didn't notice any difference in charge time on my note 3 using a 2.0 or 3.0 cable

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

ImNoPrince

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II charger was usb 2.0 and charged at 2a. I didn't notice any difference in charge time on my note 3 using a 2.0 or 3.0 cable

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Yes this was most likely because the charger was 2amp , The above was a reference to PC/MAc Ports for charging . As far as cables and , Car and AC chargers there are plenty of Cross over that will get you different results. But really the Charger Output is the most important thing . Data transfer is another twist and main difference between 3.0 and 2.0 when talking Data speeds.

The real funny thing is they said they were going to a USB standard ( Mirco was suppose to be it for phones except Apple) yet they just keep finding ways to trick people into buying NEw when they really don't need to most of the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2