Pre-phone Spigen Flip View Case Review

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
So I bought this case ahead of my receipt of the S5: Amazon.com: Spigen? [Interactive Window] Samsung Galaxy S5 Case Flip [Flip] [Flip View Metallic Black] Premium Slim Flip Cover Folio Case with View Window for Galaxy S5 / Galaxy SV / Galaxy S V - Metallic Black (SGP10842): Cell Phones & Accessories

This is not intended to be an exhaustive review for two reasons. One, I don't expect that most of you will order this case, and two, I don't have the phone. I'll update after I have the phone, but in the meantime, here's a closer look:

20140407_151805.jpg

As you can see, for $17, you get the cover, 3 Spigen screen protectors, and other paperwork including authentication, Google Play download instructions, and a nice thank you note. On closer inspection of the case, you will notice that the metallic look (billed as "Metallic Black") is texturized plastic...a thin, rubbery material. This is wrapped around a rigid Spigen plastic case (likely an off-the-shelf case with the cover applied afterward). The material is decent, rating around a 6.5 on a scale of 1-10 (with genuine leather at 10). The case is kept closed with the help of a magnet wrapped in the same plastic. The feel is good and the cover appears to sit quite flush with the rigid plastic with little lateral movement.

20140407_151922.jpg

The inside is coated with fine felt, which appears sufficient to avoid scratches. The rigid case itself is very thin, which is fine since it is covered with the rubbery plastic. The window is quite rigis itself, not a pliable plastic, so it shouldn't stick to the phone. Overall build quality is good.

20140407_151945.jpg

The case can apparently be used as a landscape stand, although without the phone, it does not work, meaning it is the weight of the phone that keeps it in place. Good luck with that while using it on your tray table on a bumpy landing into Phoenix Sky Harbor. Plus, I can't say I care for the magnetic clasp hanging out like a tongue, but YMMV.

61jswRZcipL._SL1500_.jpg

The cutouts all appear correct and fully accessible (with the caveat that I haven't tried it on a phone yet). But the one thing I do no like is the messy top and bottom openings. Here, you can see that the clean form factor elsewhere is not successful on the bottom, where there are many layers of material laying on each other (at least, I hope you can see it).

20140407_152345.jpg

Overall, I like the case and will use it at launch. I plan to pair it with a wake on open app once I have the phone and will report back functionality versus the Sammy Flip Cover when I do. However, I'm a bit of a case sluut, so I expect to change cases after three or four weeks.

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for thhe review, I hope you enjoy the case. I use my Note3 Samsung S-View case for business because of the professional look it gives.