Galaxy S5: Tempered glass screen protectors?

Krack-Berri

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
I recently started buying temepred glass protectors and replaced all my devices which previously had a normal screen protector on. feels much better and screen resolution is as perfect as without any thing on

montanaxvi

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Had the Tech Armor ballistic glass installed and loved it. Smudges were non existent and didn't have a scratch on it. The only problem I had was the top left corner started to come off and I had some dust and debris from my sloppy install so I picked up another one and did a clean install tonight and I'm having the top left corner not making full contact, almost like my screen isn't level with the top left corner being just a hair recessed. Anyone with glass on their S5 run into anything like this? The first one didn't have this problem when I installed it so I'm thinking my screen have actually gotten pushed in somehow.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I can now say with confidence that the Luvvitt branded glass protector is pretty much as good as the stock screen. I have been using mine for a month and it is still perfectly clear and scratch free. The oil resistant coating is very good. I never think about it being on my phone. I'm sure there are thinner protectors out there but I wouldn't notice those either.

Here I am 8 months later and I thought I would give a follow up review. My screen protector has picked up a couple of superficial scratches and one scratch that might actually be a crack. It looks like a long curved scratch that is almost shaped like the outline of half of the tip of my thumb. Only the potential crack/scratch is ever visible with the screen on and that one is only visible from a certain angle with a certain color on the screen behind it.
It is of note that I work in an environment where there is a lot of broken glass. There is glass dust left behind on the tables we work off of. It is about as harsh an environment as I could imagine a screen ever seeing from the standpoint of getting cosmetic scratches.

In summary, worth every penny. Very durable. Great price.

InfernoST

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Just saw this. By now you pro ably know that it works just fine.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kenorian, thanks for getting back too me, as you said i did find out, everything fits great. I purchased the Zagg Glass protector and am finding it a treat to look at and use it was also super easy to install.
I have to add that the Mophie case is well worth money, it adds a little weight but does make the phone fit much better in my hands.

Last edited:

khanhtrinh

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
How long have you guys had tempered glass on your screens? Does it become unclear and reduce display quality over time?

I just got one from Zukin & Co with only 2GBP (and a stylus as a free gift!). The packaging is very simple, and I have a feeling that it is a cheap Chinese product because there is no place on the package that states the brand name, although the company is in UK. I must say the quality is pretty decent. It fits the screen perfectly, leaving out 2 sensors (the Spigen one covers sensors, and I don't like it that way). The feeling of touch over the screen is awesome, far different from the previous plastic screen protector that I used. However, the coating is not so good. I still have smudges all over the screen after a while (my hand sweats a lot), but it's definitely not as bad as for plastic covers. I have to wipe the screen 2-3 times to bring it back to crystal clean. Since this is my first experience with oleophobic coating, I don't know if this is common for other products, or it is a lot easier for higher price products to wipe away smudges. My sweating hand leaves absolutely nothing when I hold the back cover of the phone, and I expected the same thing with oleophobic coated protectors. Obviously reality doen't come up to my expectations :'( Wiping a few times is not a big deal for me, but I would be happier if every smudge could be wiped away with 1 effort.

At this point I'm quite satisfied with it but I think I'll have to replace it in a near future. With that price I should not expect much lol. I am going to get a Luvvitt glass after a few months, but I cannot find the store on Amazon Europe (UK & DE). Can anyone using Luvvitt make comparison with the one I'm using to see if it is superior than mine, regarding smudge wipe?

I don't want to use Spigen, because after getting the Neo Hyrid case, I feel that the products from this brand are overpriced. The case is good, but not worth as much as 22EUR. I expect the same for their glass protector. 35EUR? No way!

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
How long have you guys had tempered glass on your screens? Does it become unclear and reduce display quality over time?

I just got one from Zukin & Co with only 2GBP (and a stylus as a free gift!). The packaging is very simple, and I have a feeling that it is a cheap Chinese product because there is no place on the package that states the brand name, although the company is in UK. I must say the quality is pretty decent. It fits the screen perfectly, leaving out 2 sensors (the Spigen one covers sensors, and I don't like it that way). The feeling of touch over the screen is awesome, far different from the previous plastic screen protector that I used. However, the coating is not so good. I still have smudges all over the screen after a while (my hand sweats a lot), but it's definitely not as bad as for plastic covers. I have to wipe the screen 2-3 times to bring it back to crystal clean. Since this is my first experience with oleophobic coating, I don't know if this is common for other products, or it is a lot easier for higher price products to wipe away smudges. My sweating hand leaves absolutely nothing when I hold the back cover of the phone, and I expected the same thing with oleophobic coated protectors. Obviously reality doen't come up to my expectations :'( Wiping a few times is not a big deal for me, but I would be happier if every smudge could be wiped away with 1 effort.

At this point I'm quite satisfied with it but I think I'll have to replace it in a near future. With that price I should not expect much lol. I am going to get a Luvvitt glass after a few months, but I cannot find the store on Amazon Europe (UK & DE). Can anyone using Luvvitt make comparison with the one I'm using to see if it is superior than mine, regarding smudge wipe?

I don't want to use Spigen, because after getting the Neo Hyrid case, I feel that the products from this brand are overpriced. The case is good, but not worth as much as 22EUR. I expect the same for their glass protector. 35EUR? No way!

I think that 2 or 3 wipes is normal with any coating.I fear you are obsessing over getting the best possible product. I would just see how the current protector holds up. Luvvitt protector is thick relative to the more expensive ones. Will that become an issue? It's not for me but if you are going to be picky it sounds like the zagg glass is the best... for a price.

SamAndroid123

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Guys, should I buy the ZAGG InvisibleShield 'HDX' or the 'Glass' screen protector? Need to get one pronto for my S5! I have a Spigen Tough Armor case that works great, but don't want that screen exposed to coins/keys etc.

photoman333

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
You shouldn't buy a ZAGG at all, unless you love to clean off fingerprint smudges constantly - ZAGGs attract them like white on rice.

If you don't want to clean the glass constantly, get the Tech Armor ballistic glass protector, which truly is oleophobic. And yes, I have used both. I threw the ZAGG away after a few days.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Just received the luvvitt tempered glass and I'm loving how smooth the screen is and not to mention the clarity. Self adhesive too, awesome perfect fit - no realigning. Got one for my wife iphone 6 plus too since it's affordable to boot.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21