Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S5: Tempered glass screen protectors?

I'm wondering if these are really worth the relatively high price. Won't the gorilla glass hold up pretty well on its own, or should I bite the bullet and get one? Are they really so thin and transparent that you can't tell it's on there?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-14-2014 at 09:59 PM.

Default Re: Tempered glass screen protectors?

I never used one until this phone (one of the SGP ones) and it has a strange awesomeness that it feels like there really isn't anything there. Not used to it, but love it!

From a few short days of use, I'd definitely recommend one.

Global Posts
    4,590 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I've used the Glas.t Nano on my S4 and it's awesome. Your finger glides across it where with a plastic screen protector it kinds drags across.

Definitely worth it to me. I have noticed several brands on Amazon that aren't as expensive as Spigen but I don't know about their quality.

And Spigen is making an anti-privacy Glas.t.

Posted via Android Central App
    "In God we trust....all others we investigate".

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol".

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts

I got one with my s5 from costco. The guy put it on for me and did a flawless job. I wasnt sold on it and planned to keep the protector that came on the phone like i did with my s4, until i realized that samsung has now made them extend over the edge of the screen. So i plopped down the 25$ and im actually quite pleased. Feels very smooth and is super clear, not too thick, barely notice it. Would reccomend.

jcochran1977 likes this.

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonebk12 View Post
    I'm wondering if these are really worth the relatively high price. Won't the gorilla glass hold up pretty well on its own, or should I bite the bullet and get one? Are they really so thin and transparent that you can't tell it's on there?
    Think of it this way. Even if the gorilla glass holds up great, there will still be scratches. When you get tired of the glass scratches and you HAVE a glass protector, peel it off and spend another $25-$40 on a new one and, voila! a screen that looks new. If you DON'T have a protector, then you are out $200 to replace the digitizer and the glass (and who knows what results you'll get). OR, you burn $100 on a new phone via insurance. OR WORSE, you just live with the scratches, which, if you're as uptight as I am about that stuff, can be nerve-wracking.

I bought the Zagg one. I had one for my S4 and LOVED it. Not only is it scratch resistant, but it has an oleophobic coating that resists (doesn't PREVENT, mind you) fingerprints, so the screen actually gets far less nasty. To be honest, I bought the Verizon-branded tempered glass protector at the Verizon store along with the phone for $24, and after two hours with it, I replaced it with the Zagg model, because the VZW model appeared to ATTRACT fingerprints. I'm MUCH happier with the Zagg.

As for the clarity and feel, I can say that the screen on the S4 and the S5 look exactly as they do unprotected, and the Zagg InvisibleShield Glass model actually has a smoother glide than the bare phone glass.

I'll never buy another phone that can't be protected with one of these!

Mark
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts

How hard is it to apply onto the phone? what happens if there is a bit of lint underneth after you place it on the screen. Are there re-do's like with the plastic ones or is it a onetime placement?

Quote Originally Posted by mjcecil View Post
    Think of it this way. Even if the gorilla glass holds up great, there will still be scratches. When you get tired of the glass scratches and you HAVE a glass protector, peel it off and spend another $25-$40 on a new one and, voila! a screen that looks new. If you DON'T have a protector, then you are out $200 to replace the digitizer and the glass (and who knows what results you'll get). OR, you burn $100 on a new phone via insurance. OR WORSE, you just live with the scratches, which, if you're as uptight as I am about that stuff, can be nerve-wracking.

I bought the Zagg one. I had one for my S4 and LOVED it. Not only is it scratch resistant, but it has an oleophobic coating that resists (doesn't PREVENT, mind you) fingerprints, so the screen actually gets far less nasty. To be honest, I bought the Verizon-branded tempered glass protector at the Verizon store along with the phone for $24, and after two hours with it, I replaced it with the Zagg model, because the VZW model appeared to ATTRACT fingerprints. I'm MUCH happier with the Zagg.

As for the clarity and feel, I can say that the screen on the S4 and the S5 look exactly as they do unprotected, and the Zagg InvisibleShield Glass model actually has a smoother glide than the bare phone glass.

I'll never buy another phone that can't be protected with one of these!

Mark
    I was planning on getting the Zagg glass protector as well. Hoping the kiosk at my mall has it because I don't want to install it myself...

I just ordered a tempered glass protector, my first one...I'm excited to try it from reading what you all are saying
    - Using the Sony Xperia Z3! -

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    I just ordered a tempered glass protector, my first one...I'm excited to try it from reading what you all are saying
    Which one did you order if you don't mind me asking...

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

OK for $10 I may have to bite on that. Please let us know what you think when it arrives.

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts

Ok cool that's one of the ones I was looking at. The spigen one and that one. the spigen one is just kind of expensive and dont want to break it upon application.

Yes, please quote me with your review if you write one!

Installation isn't too difficult, just do it in a steamy bathroom using the hinge method

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Oliver Telfor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jonebk12 View Post
    OK for $10 I may have to bite on that. Please let us know what you think when it arrives.
    Quote Originally Posted by atg284 View Post
    Ok cool that's one of the ones I was looking at. The spigen one and that one. the spigen one is just kind of expensive and dont want to break it upon application.

Yes, please quote me with your review if you write one!
    Will do! I didn't want to get an expensive one lol

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Installation isn't too difficult, just do it in a steamy bathroom using the hinge method

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Ok yeah I've read up on those techniques and they definitely look like goo techniques. I put a traditional screen protector on but it took 3 tries lol.

So I guess my main concern is that if you mess up the first time is ther a way to re-apply it?

side note: here is the ebay link for the same thing for those who do not want to pay for shipping: Aerb Premium Ultra Slim Ballistic Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Samsung S5 | eBay

Default Re: Galaxy S5: Tempered glass screen protectors?

Ive got the zagg one on mine and so far its the nicest protector ive ever had!! I had the zagg HD on my GS3 and it was nice. This glass one doesnt even feel like there is a protector there!!!! Worth the $40 in my opinion!!

Xm_jdm likes this.

Btw, the zagg takes about 2 seconds to install by yourself and is almost impossible to mess up... watch the youtube video of your scared haha. Really though its super easy..

What is the deference between the $10 protector by Aerb Amazon.com: Aerb Premium Samsung Galaxy S5 Ballistic Nano Tempered Glass Screen Protector
    and the $35 Spigen one. Amazon.com: Spigen Samsung Galaxy S5 Screen Protector Glass

This is quite a big difference in prices!

Global Posts
    4,590 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by smileycon View Post
    What is the deference between the $10 protector by Aerb Amazon.com: Aerb Premium Samsung Galaxy S5 Ballistic Nano Tempered Glass Screen Protector
    and the $35 Spigen one. Amazon.com: Spigen Samsung Galaxy S5 Screen Protector Glass

This is quite a big difference in prices!
    Quality I would imagine. I have used Spigen Glas.t in the past and it's a great product. But the cheaper one could be just as good. We need a real user review of it - $9.99 is musher better than $35!

"In God we trust....all others we investigate".

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol".
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

My suggestion for everyone considering something more than the el cheapo glass ones- get the Zagg or Spigen Glas.TR. Both have a rounded edge and its so much nicer than all the others.

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by jschu22 View Post
    My suggestion for everyone considering something more than the el cheapo glass ones- get the Zagg or Spigen Glas.TR. Both have a rounded edge and its so much nicer than all the others.

The $10 one says it has a "rounded edge cut." I wonder if that's the same thing as on the more expensive ones.

im looking at getting the Glas.tr SLIM 0.4mm,
    does anyone have one on the s5? i want to know if it affects the use of the fingerprint reader? and use of the home button?
    i know they send gel stickers for the home button but they arent really ideal
    cheers.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

I just ordered the bodyguardz pure tempered glass screen protector from att,i had one for my iphone 5s and liked it.

Just got my Zagg tempered glass screen protector put on and I love it! The edges are slightly rounded so it lays nicely on the phone and you can't even tell it's on there. It was $48 with installation at the mall. I know, rip off, but I hate putting these things on myself and after I drove out to the mall I figured might as well save my time and gas and just have them do it while I was there and make sure it was perfect. Very happy with mine. They said not to put a case on it for 48 hours which will be tough because my white S5 is super slick, feels like it will fly right out of my hand!

Quote Originally Posted by schwanz583 View Post
    Ive got the zagg one on mine and so far its the nicest protector ive ever had!! I had the zagg HD on my GS3 and it was nice. This glass one doesnt even feel like there is a protector there!!!! Worth the $40 in my opinion!!

I agree, so smooth you can't even tell it's on there. Very happy with mine too.
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast