Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cinder22
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Audio Out through USB

On the verge of buying an iBolt case for the S5 I saw this at iBolt's website: they have removed the "analogue audio-out" functionality through the microUSB connector

Does this mean there is no way to get sound from an S5 to a car's speakers through its USB connection?

Default Re: Audio Out through USB

Yea Ive been looking for answers to this too. really bummed it doesn't work it my current USB car setup.. I am wondering if this is a hardware thing or software? Seems like somebody could create a work around if its software..

I had an Ibolt for my S3 and loved it. The problem was, it was specifically designed for the S3, and only the S3 would fit in it. So i went on the Ibolt website, and saw another mount, compatible with the soon to be released S5, and I jumped right on it. I got it about 2 weeks before the S5 launched. Same quality as my previous one, but this seemed to be made with adjustable clamps to fit just about any phone.
    So when I got the 5, I walked out of the store, put it in the mount, and went to plug it in, and was like wtf? That's when I noticed this new fangled port the S5 has.
    I got home, went back in my old emails, and found the link to the Ibolt I ordered, and NOWHERE did it say it was compatable for the S5.I was kicking myself for being an *****, but also wondering how I could make this mistake.
    Turns out, I wasn't losing my mind.
    Here's the e-mail trail I sent to Ibolt...

Me to them...
    Hi, recently I ordered a car dock. I could have sworn up and down this would be compatible with the Galaxy S5 (that just came out today)
    My Order #: xxx-xx--xxxxx-xx

Obviously that isn't compatible with the S5. It fits, but the charging port doesn't fit the S5.
    I am going to keep the dock and make due for now, but do you expect to be making 1 for the S5 in the near future? And do you think it could be retrofitted to fit this one that I just ordered?

This is my 2nd dock with Ibolt, and I love them.

Them to me

Thanks for contacting us. The 3.0 charging found on the S5 was made to be backwards compatible with the 2.0 connections. You'll notice that half of the charging port is actually a microUSB port.

However, we found out in the past week just prior to the S5 launch that the phone would not be including DockMode that is found on their other Galaxy Phones. For a small period of time we did advertise compatibility with this dock but removed it before launch. It looks like you purchased it within that window. There is a chance that Samsung will change this on a future update but we are going forward as if this won't happen. Of course I would be more than happy to issue you a refund on your order if you'd like to return the kit. I can also offer to send you a standard microUSB cable that can be used simply for charging.

Let me know how you would like to proceed.

Thanks, and my apologies for the confusion.

iBOLT Support,

Me to them
    So I didn't lose my mind? Thats a relief!
    I'll b3 happy to take the cable to charge.

Thanks for the lightning fast reply!

After further review, my reply might not have much to do with your original post, but let me see if I can redeem myself. There's an app called SoundAbout. I downloaded it for my S3 because I couldn't get that to play music via USB or bluetooth. After a few emails with the developer of that app, I was able to change the settings so music would play via bluetooth. Turns out, the 5 plays music via bluetooth without that app. But maybe you could check that app out, and see if there are settings to play with a usb connection? When I plug mine in, it says "USB Read error". It might be something that app can fix

Simple Easy task have easy solutions .. Simple move music from sd to phone memory .. Sub can't find sd when connected put does find media files .. It found my ring tones so I moved music to the same place and BINGO

Hi Keith, this is a great help. I thought I was going crazy when only my ringtones where playing. I'm new to the android world so please forgive if dumb question, but do you know if there is a way to set downloads to automatically go to the audio file instead of music file?
    haprieto likes this.