[VIDEO] ZAGG InvisibleSHIELD Glass Installation - Samsung Galaxy S5

chrisngrod

Sep 5, 2010
www.mycricketforum.com

I use to do so many installation videos of invisibleSHIELDs (orignal, HD, dry) back in the day. Then Spigen came along with all their Glas screen protectors. Doesn't take much to see that a glass screen protector is superior in clarity. It's really become a shame to put a product that suffers from known issues like the rainbow effect and orange peel on these flagship devices.

I'm sure ZAGG felt the pressure put on them by manufacturers like Spigen to produce something better. Enter the Glass line.

PRICE

This thing is kind of expensive. $40 bucks basically at Best Buy. From ZAGG it's $5 cheaper. Maybe that's because there is less packaging with the one that ship from ZAGG.

Spigen is pretty expensive as well. Cheaper glass screen protectors are popping up on eBay at lower prices. I think for the most part those will be fine. I've used a few before. Expect less support if they don't work and a higher chance of bubbles. How much higher? I don't know. We'll have to wait for feedback from others.

WARRANTY

Of course there are cons to glass screen protectors. I won't deny that. My wife has cracked a few. Spigen has a replacement program to get you another one at a discount cost:

Glas.t/Glas.tR Replacement Policy | Spigen

According to the information supplied in this product, ZAGG will keep on sending you replacements if you pay shipping and handling. You will most likely have to return the broken pieces of your protector as well as proof it was damaged.

INSTALLATION

You don't really need a video. However, I did one anyways
biggrin.gif
. The installation process is easier in my opinion than non glass screen protectors. Ultimately you'll just want to make sure everything is dust free and aligned. If you skip towards the end of the video where the screen protector makes contact with the screen, you will see the air bubbles all come out on their own. It's that easy.

FIT AND CONCLUSION

I was really pleased with the fit. This product leaves enough room around the side of the screen for cases which is a huge benefit. Most cases will not pry up the borders and cause the glass to lift. Cheaper Chinese glass screen protectors and this one leave openings and not just cutouts for the speaker and home button. In this case, I applaud that because of the fingerprint scanner. From videos I saw of the Glas, they chose to have a cutout for the home button. They're thin, and I'm sure you can get your fingerprint read. I mean, who would design it that way if you couldn't? I just believe that it would be easier to scan it if the area was left open. Spigen used to give away home button stickers to make the button taller. Can't do that with the S5's scanner.

LINK

ZAGG's S5 screen protector lineup.

Spigen's lineup is getting bigger and bigger btw...

4750d1397566144-%u00255Bvideo%u00255D-samsung-galaxy-s5-zagg-invisibleshield-glass-installation-.jpg

Here's what we found at Best Buy last night from ZAGG...

4751d1397602967-%u00255Bvideo%u00255D-samsung-galaxy-s5-zagg-invisibleshield-glass-installation-.jpg

Please chime in with other screen protectors and your opinions of them.

UPDATE

Installing with and without yellow film and tabs (5/8/2014)

Installed the replacement screen protector today. Actually had a harder time mounting it with the yellow plastic and tabs. Without that you can use your fingers to space it evenly. Align your pointer and thumb on each side and apply equal pressure inward. Bam... centered.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I don't like is how it wraps around the sides of the home button. The MIME Ghost protector surrounds the button and covers more of the display. You can't beat Zaggs lifetime warranty though.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I like you're thinking. Make sure you have the protector. I have a Note 3 as well.

I think you'll enjoy the S5.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

Gotta be prepared!

I love my Note 3 but I want something smaller. I don't use the S-Pen a ton so its a fair trade.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

bogdaryl

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Went to Best Buy today with the intent to buy the Zagg glass screen protector for my S5. Even went so far as to get them to install it. After the lady pulled 2 out of the boxes broken I decided to just go with the HD version of the Zagg instead. The lady even advised me that she had 1 Crack while doing an install. I can't vouch for that but I can say 2 were broken out of the box. It just deterred me and I went with my tried and true HD that I've used on my last 2 devices.

Posted via Android Central App

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Went to Best Buy today with the intent to buy the Zagg glass screen protector for my S5. Even went so far as to get them to install it. After the lady pulled 2 out of the boxes broken I decided to just go with the HD version of the Zagg instead. The lady even advised me that she had 1 Crack while doing an install. I can't vouch for that but I can say 2 were broken out of the box. It just deterred me and I went with my tried and true HD that I've used on my last 2 devices.

Posted via Android Central App

I installed my MIME and saw one spec of dust in the edge. I tried to remove it but that made it worse so I went to Best Buy and bought Zagg Glass. Installed it perfectly and even have a life time warranty with it. Seems to feel better than MIME did too but we will see how it holds up.

Thanks to the original poster here for recommending it.

Note to self - don't risk a whole protector for one dust particle that's not even on the display itself. Lol

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
After a few days the two things I've noticed about Zagg compared to MIME Ghost is this:

1.) Zagg Glass is smoother and feels more like glass. MIME felt like glass but when compared to Zagg the MIME feels a little plastic like.

2.) Zagg is much more fingerprint resistant than MIME. MIME was just spreading the prints when wiped down where my Zagg cleans immediately and is crystal clear.

Glad I made the switch.

Ezduzit

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I love my zagg glass, I've used all the zagg line and none of them comes close to the glass, even the hd will develop a orange peel feel over time.

Sent from my busa!

fanaticalism

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Watching that install was painful.

Some tips:

Sit in a chair that allows to get directly (or as much as possible) over the phone. This will help you with alignment.

Place the phone a soft cloth to reduce sliding.

After throughly cleaning the surface, place the black cloth over the display right from the packaging (Avoid placing the cloth on any other surface or having it rub against your shirt as this will cause dust or lint being trapped on the cloth which will hurt you later). This will reduce the possibility of debris falling on your display.

Peel the first layer off with the adhesive side facing down. When you hold it with the adhesive side up towards the ceiling, you increase the likelihood of... you guessed it, debris falling on the adhesive.

Now, you want to work quickly.

Hold shield by the ears to aid in placement. This is the most effective way of installing compared to others such as bodyguardz that use a suction cup or spigen that offer nothing. The reason for the colored backing is that it aids in alignment which can be difficult on a white phone due to reflection. This sets Zagg apart.

Slide the black cloth in a smooth manner along the long side of the display to drag any debris that may have been trapped underneath. Quckly observe that there is nothing underneath and lay your shield down.

Done.

I've used MIME, Spigen and BGz. Biggest benefits of BGz and Zagg are the replacement plan. Zagg trumps BGz here because BGz only offers you one replacement compared to unlimited with Zagg, not to mention the Zagg, while thinner repels oils better and has rounded edges. What I don't like about the Zagg (on my note 3) is that it doesn't cover the whole screen like the spigen TR does.

chrisngrod

Sep 5, 2010
www.mycricketforum.com
Honestly, I'm used to installing the Spigens. Never touched a ZAGG version before. I don't care much for the yellow piece despite the fact that they made that part for alignment.

Trying to install at an angle when you should be directly above the screen is difficult. However, it's better than seeing the back of my balding head.

chrisngrod

Sep 5, 2010
www.mycricketforum.com
Well this Saturday at my daughter's first birthday party my wife dropped the S5. It was in a case. Fell about 2 1/2 to 3 feet. So much going on with the little one running around.

Anyways it wasn't the corner of the case hitting which cracked it. There was small rocks on the ground and it struck the glass. Looks like a rock chip you get on your car's windshield. A day later it made a hairline fracture from side to side. Sunday I registered the product and ordered up a replacement. Just waiting on that. I'll post up how the process went. Only getting hit with $5-$6 in fees. Will have to return the old protector to them of course within 60 days.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Well this Saturday at my daughter's first birthday party my wife dropped the S5. It was in a case. Fell about 2 1/2 to 3 feet. So much going on with the little one running around.

Anyways it wasn't the corner of the case hitting which cracked it. There was small rocks on the ground and it struck the glass. Looks like a rock chip you get on your car's windshield. A day later it made a hairline fracture from side to side. Sunday I registered the product and ordered up a replacement. Just waiting on that. I'll post up how the process went. Only getting hit with $5-$6 in fees. Will have to return the old protector to them of course within 60 days.

Wow, that Zagg Glass did not last very long.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree and that is why I'm still on the fence about the glass protectors. I'm just not sure of the durability of the glass. To me it makes me question, Will the film based screen protectors work better?

Glass protectors add impact resistance. While the protector may crack it does help protect your display from shattering.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I agree and that is why I'm still on the fence about the glass protectors. I'm just not sure of the durability of the glass. To me it makes me question, Will the film based screen protectors work better?

I have always used the Spigen GlastR Nano and have never had one break. The one on my old S4 developed a tiny chip on the edge around the home button and that's it. I don't think it would have broke if I had hit it with a hammer. Just purchased the Zagg Glass from Best Buy and I'm a little apprehensive about it after seeing how easy chrisngrod's broke. :p

chrisngrod

Sep 5, 2010
www.mycricketforum.com
She's cracked two Spigen's. At least the replacements are a little cheaper with ZAGG because of the warranty.

I don't think it necessarily broke that easy. The issues was that there was a rock on the patio. I tried to sweep most of them off for the birthday attendees, but they were already in chairs and I couldn't sweep everywhere.

The ZAGG appears to be pretty case friendly. Leaves a little buffer area all the way around. I am happy about that. Just got the replacement today.

Last edited:

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
She's cracked two Spigen's. At least the replacements are a little cheaper with ZAGG because of the warranty.

I don't think it necessarily broke that easy. The issues was that there was a rock on the patio. I tried to sweet most of them off for the birthday attendees, but they were already in chairs and I couldn't sweet everywhere.

The ZAGG appears to be pretty case friendly. Leaves a little buffer area all the way around. I am happy about that. Just got the replacement today.

Did they make you ship the old one back first? Did the replacement come in retail packaging?

Let us know how the new install goes.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Did they make you ship the old one back first? Did the replacement come in retail packaging?

Let us know how the new install goes.

I got my replacement today too. I had to order one ($5.99) because I had my device replaced within the 14 days. They ship a new protector to you along with a yellow envelope. Once you receive the new protector, which comes in retail packaging, you send the old one back in the yellow envelope. All it needs is a stamp and its good to go.

Not sure when I'll put the Zagg on again. I don't see a reason to waste this Verizon one. I'll let it wear out before I out it on probably.