Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Qi Wireless charger w/Receiver for Galaxy S5

Got Qi Wireless charger w/Receiver for my GS5 and works perfect even with Spigen Neo Hybrid case put on!!. Charges pretty fast too. Took me about 40 minutes to charge from 5%>100%. Now never have to open/close the troublesome charging port cover.
    Canalla, Marty Klayer and Pa Bi like this.

Default Re: Qi Wireless charger w/Receiver for Galaxy S5

Did you get the OEM cover and charge pad? If not which one did you get?

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Mochicomomo View Post
    Got Qi Wireless charger w/Receiver for my GS5 and works perfect even with Spigen Neo Hybrid case put on!!. Charges pretty fast too. Took me about 40 minutes to charge from 5%>100%. Now never have to open/close the troublesome charging port cover.
    40 minutes to charge 95% ??? hmm the oe wired charger is about 1% per minute,

Carrier
    2.2.1 froyo EB16, Voodoo

I also received my Qi wireless adapter for my S5 and am using it with my Koolpad Qi wireless charging pad that I used with my S4...It does a great job and seems to charge faster then it did with the S4. BUT, it definitely is no where close to a full charge in 45 min.! With the S4 it would normally take in the area of 3-4 hours to complete a charge depending on battery levels, while the S5 seems to take somewhere in the area of 2 hrs+ to charge from 30%-40% to 100%! I haven't taken the time to accurately time it out, so mileage may vary!
    A couple things I have noticed with this...the Koolpad actually runs "cooler" charging the S5 then it did with the S4! The S4 could get rather hot with wireless charging and after some research was the reason I purchased the Koolpad. While charging the S5, both the charging pad AND the phone stay relatively unchanged temp wise with no significant temperature rise! While I do know that Samsung has touted new tech in the S5 battery/charging I was surprised that the S5 would stay SO cool during wireless charging!
    Second, while I was careful to order a so called "thin pad receiver" it still does slightly "bubble" the back cover! it is barely noticeable but it does rock slightly when laid on its back...all of the aftermarket cases I have tried fit perfectly with the receiver installed, and again you can't notice it unless you are REALLY looking for it, BUT, there is that nagging feeling that the gasket seal on the back cover has been compromised! Ironically, I haven't had water resistant phones in the past and it has NEVER been an issue so it really shouldn't be a problem now, but, it still bugs the crap out of me knowing I may have screwed up the water resistance and the only way to test it may screw the phone!
    Some will laugh, but as soon as the Samsung charging back is available I will probably bite the bullet and get one...In the mean time this is working great and I don't have to open the flap!

Cheers

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

I am using one of the Chinese wireless cards and a RavPower transmit puck... took a screenshot of the charge... looks like it gets a bit warm.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Qi Wireless charger w/Receiver for Galaxy S5-screenshot_2014-05-29-04-27-49.jpg   Qi Wireless charger w/Receiver for Galaxy S5-screenshot_2014-05-29-04-28-26.jpg  

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

I picked up the OEM Wireless Charging back (Found it on eBay for $35). I tried a few wireless receivers, but they DO break the water-tight seal. I also wasn't a fan of the bulge they caused in the back...they gave the back a cheap look (IMHO). The Samsung OEM Wireless Back is definietly thicker. Also, I tried a Spigen Neo Hybrid, Spigen Slim Armor, and a Diztronic case, and NONE of them will fit with the OEM Wireless Back. HOWEVER, the Belkin Air Protect Bumper fits like a charm and works perfect with the OEM Wireless Charging Back. I love the bumper being minimalistic, and still being able to see the back of the device. I think this is the perfect combo with the OEM wireless charging back. Frankly, even if I didn't have the OEM Wireless Back, I would likely use this bumper. Really enjoying it!

Quote Originally Posted by kcguy76 View Post
    I picked up the OEM Wireless Charging back (Found it on eBay for $35). I tried a few wireless receivers, but they DO break the water-tight seal. I also wasn't a fan of the bulge they caused in the back...they gave the back a cheap look (IMHO). The Samsung OEM Wireless Back is definietly thicker. Also, I tried a Spigen Neo Hybrid, Spigen Slim Armor, and a Diztronic case, and NONE of them will fit with the OEM Wireless Back. HOWEVER, the Belkin Air Protect Bumper fits like a charm and works perfect with the OEM Wireless Charging Back. I love the bumper being minimalistic, and still being able to see the back of the device. I think this is the perfect combo with the OEM wireless charging back. Frankly, even if I didn't have the OEM Wireless Back, I would likely use this bumper. Really enjoying it!
    Do you have a link for the bumper? Thanks

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Changed last night with the Nokia 900 puck.. seems to be slightly cooler on the phone.

Posted via Android Central App via a Samsung S5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Qi Wireless charger w/Receiver for Galaxy S5-screenshot_2014-05-30-04-30-41.jpg   Qi Wireless charger w/Receiver for Galaxy S5-screenshot_2014-05-30-04-34-23.jpg  

That's a real bummer! The Diztronic didn't fit at all? In the past with the S4 and Note 3 it actually worked. Really makes the wireless cover useless to me now.

Wish I liked bumper cases.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Quote Originally Posted by perithimus View Post
    Do you have a link for the bumper? Thanks

Ask and you shall receive.
    http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8M913/

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    Ask and you shall receive.
    Buy the Samsung Galaxy S5 AIR PROTECTâ„¢ Grip Bumper Protective Case by Belkin

Thanks, Eclipse. Yup, that's the gem I did not own the S4. Did you have to really rangle with the Diztronic case to get it to fit? I tried for a decent amount of time with the S5 and simply couldn't get it to work (was a friend of mine's case - I could always ask him to let me give it another go-'round )

Thanks, Eclipse. Yup, that's the gem I did not own the S4. Did you have to really rangle with the Diztronic case to get it to fit? I tried for a decent amount of time with the S5 and simply couldn't get it to work (was a friend of mine's case - I could always ask him to let me give it another go-'round )
    I never had an S4 but Diztronic says right in their Amazon listing that it works. You could try the case again and if the chrome shows try and push the edges and sides towards the phone. If it fails than its not compatible.

I have the samsung official qi Back but carnt find a bump case to fit it, it they made this wirless from the start then we may have covers that fit
    LTA1 likes this.

I bought this wireless charger for $18.99

It fits inside the stock S5 plastic case, no bulges created on the back.
    I did lay a piece of business card over the charging contacts.
    Measured about 3/8" x 1", without it the contacts were intermittant.

This one => * Qi Standard Wireless Charger kit 'mine'

It comes with the charging pad making this one a really great deal.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts

I've tried both, the OEM and the insert. The OEM made the phone a lot thicker, and did not fit my otterbox. So I went with the insert, the VÜ-MATE Wireless Charging Receiver Card. But what I noticed with this card and their VU wireless charger, it will only charge when it's vertical on the charger. The OEM back charged in both vertical and landscape. That's a bummer. Obviously the OEM back has a larger coil...

Impressive! 95% in 40 minutes. I'd be totally into getting one! Anyone want to provide links to buy with the best deals? Opening the charging port is a hassle especially with a case on.

Be carful here my local shop is warning about the inserts as it brakes the water proof seal
    They should of made this water proof out of the box then the cases would fit

Quote Originally Posted by Northern.dj View Post
    Be carful here my local shop is warning about the inserts as it brakes the water proof seal
    They should of made this water proof out of the box then the cases would fit
    It does indeed break the water resistant seal. But remember the phone isn't water proof even with the seal. Its RESISTANT to water.

So I'm in Seoul, South Korea and we do have a Samsung flagship store and apparently they do have the S5 OEM wireless charging back cover in black or white and indeed is a bit thick and I'm having a dilemma whether it is worth buying one.

I use Spigen Slim Armor as my case and looks of it, the case will not fit with the wireless back cover and would have to buy another case but that isn't an option as I don't like any other case out there and I only like Spigen cases.

One option I have is to just buy it to use it to charge and once charging is done then all I need to do is take off the wireless one and put on the regular battery cover back on and use a case. But it can be a hassle to do this each time. But I would rather have a genuine wireless charging back cover than using a knock off.

Any ideas or suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteiPadMini View Post
    So I'm in Seoul, South Korea and we do have a Samsung flagship store and apparently they do have the S5 OEM wireless charging back cover in black or white and indeed is a bit thick and I'm having a dilemma whether it is worth buying one.

I use Spigen Slim Armor as my case and looks of it, the case will not fit with the wireless back cover and would have to buy another case but that isn't an option as I don't like any other case out there and I only like Spigen cases.

One option I have is to just buy it to use it to charge and once charging is done then all I need to do is take off the wireless one and put on the regular battery cover back on and use a case. But it can be a hassle to do this each time. But I would rather have a genuine wireless charging back cover than using a knock off.

Any ideas or suggestion?
    If you must use Spigen cases than just stay away from Qi. Don't do an aftermarket or OEM as neither is a good option. SlimArmor is confirmed to not work. I myself have a SlimArmor but its sitting in a cabinet since its too slippery. Provides no grip at all.

So I went to the Samsung Mobile Store (Samsung's Flagship Store) and decided to get the Samsung Galaxy S5 Wilreless Charging back cover in black. Along with the S Charger Pad.

Honestly, I actually like it. But I plan on just using this when at home and need to charge my phone. When I am going out and about then I will take off the wireless charging cover and replace with the blue back cover and I will put on my Spigen Slim Armor case. So I'll just have to get used to this new routine of mine.

It does add a bit of thickness to the phone

Here are some pics:
    Qi Wireless charger w/Receiver for Galaxy S5-20140603_122836.jpgQi Wireless charger w/Receiver for Galaxy S5-20140603_123557.jpgQi Wireless charger w/Receiver for Galaxy S5-20140603_123940.jpgQi Wireless charger w/Receiver for Galaxy S5-20140603_124014.jpg

So I went to the Samsung Mobile Store (Samsung's Flagship Store) and decided to get the Samsung Galaxy S5 Wilreless Charging back cover in black. Along with the S Charger Pad.

Honestly, I actually like it. But I plan on just using this when at home and need to charge my phone. When I am going out and about then I will take off the wireless charging cover and replace with the blue back cover and I will put on my Spigen Slim Armor case. So I'll just have to get used to this new routine of mine.

It does add a bit of thickness to the phone

Here are some pics:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140603_122836.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	535.4 KB 
ID:	121262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140603_123557.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	658.7 KB 
ID:	121263Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140603_123940.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	384.0 KB 
ID:	121264Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140603_124014.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	476.8 KB 
ID:	121265
    That routine seems far more annoying than pulling the charger tab each time. You're forcing yourself to remove the case, then back cover and apply another cover. Then repeat in reverse order.

Seems tedious.

That routine seems far more annoying than pulling the charger tab each time. You're forcing yourself to remove the case, then back cover and apply another cover. Then repeat in reverse order.

Seems tedious.

To each their own. Plus I always take off the case when at home anyways.
    Eclipse2K likes this.

To each their own. Plus I always take off the case when at home anyways.
    My main concern is that removing the cover every day could eventually ruin the seal. Not sure but its always possible. Just something to consider.

My main concern is that removing the cover every day could eventually ruin the seal. Not sure but its always possible. Just something to consider.

Well, yeah, it's something I have to be careful of I guess. But of course I hear that the USB cover can break easily, so this is one of the reasons why I prefer to want to charge wirelessly so I don't have to deal with the USB cover. The store had the S-view flip cover with wireless charger as well and thought about it, but I don't like flip cover cases.
    Eclipse2K likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast