Galaxy S5 Essentials from HOT stock via Amazon - never again

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I purchased this product. It was a car charger, wall charger and 2x3 foot cables. I needed a car charger and an extra home / office was a plus.

Never again will I purchase a product from HOT stock as both chargers actually melted after being plugged I for only 15 minutes.

I'm so irate that I even turned over the now melted chargers to the local fire department for analysis.

I just hope it had no effect on my S5.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have said it before. For chargers and cables, only buy quality products from reputable sellers.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Your are 100% correct, I just thought Amazon filtered the good from the bad.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Your are 100% correct, I just thought Amazon filtered the good from the bad.

Amazon third party is a mixed bag. Lots of fakes.

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Here's a real hoot. I did a review of the product as Amazon had asked but they would not publish it. They asked that I look it over and send it in again. Wow ... Amazon has lost me as a customer.

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Just to be clear. What I posted in this forum in the original post was what Amazon would not publish.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Here's a real hoot. I did a review of the product as Amazon had asked but they would not publish it. They asked that I look it over and send it in again. Wow ... Amazon has lost me as a customer.

Amazon is a retailer that sells products. If a product is defective you should have returned it and mentioned the issue.

If the item was through a third party thats not Amazon than you should always avoid those. I hate to say it but I never buy anything unless its Shipped and Sold by Amazon.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I never had a chance to return the product. It melted both chargers in two separate places. Yes, I will be refunded the money. The reason Amazon has list me is that they would not publish my review. It seems unless things are good they won't publish.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I never had a chance to return the product. It melted both chargers in two separate places. Yes, I will be refunded the money. The reason Amazon has list me is that they would not publish my review. It seems unless things are good they won't publish.

Odd, I've wrote many reviews and some negative without issue. :/

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Not really true, there are plenty of negative reviews. There is probably something else going on. Their reviews have to meet their guidelines

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Well my post was the review so you tell me what else is going on. Yes, I did read their guidelines .... in the end I changed the review to say only that my expectations were not met and left it at that. That was published.

theonlybuster

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I will say Amazon does screen their reviews, but it's because customers have been known to buy 1 product from Brand A, have a bad experience, then browse Amazon bashing EVERY product by Brand A whether they've owned/used the product or not. Also, there have been a string incidents where users (mostly from Reddit) posting totally fake and pointless "reviews".

I've personally written negative reviews and then minutes later I get a message from the seller asking me to remove it, and honestly I don't. Instead I go in and edit the review to make it a bit nicer (where applicable), AND add the seller's request for me to remove my honest review.

So now sellers can flag reviews and have them removed because of these past actions. It really is a pain, BUT you have to remember that Amazon is not the "seller" but more or less an avenue for you to get to a seller, just like Amazon, or your local Mall.

It's something that many consumers quickly forget. And though Amazon tries to monitor it, you have to remember there are TONS of sellers and TONS of mindless disputes daily.
As aforementioned, you should really avoid buying powered cables from any "Store" that's not reputable.
And when you do buy from Amazon (or similar), try to pay via Paypal. That way if you run into a problem, you have more avenues to open a dispute rather than hoping the seller refunds you or hoping Amazon doesn't take the seller's side.

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I cancelled my Amazon account and guess what .... they removed all my reviews from their site. What a lame policy.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I cancelled my Amazon account and guess what .... they removed all my reviews from their site. What a lame policy.

Why does this surprise you? You canceling your account means you cease to exist on their website. This includes everything.

I could never cancel Amazon since I'd never leave the best retailer in the world.

AshManMB

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I actually bought the same thing and it works pretty good for me. the car charger gets to about 20% increase in battery power over about a 30 minute span, which is pretty good for me.

Home charger I only use once my phone is already fully charged as I use it to keep my battery charged while I sleep only. and usually plug it in when I am at between 90-95%. But works good for me. Maybe you got a bad one, but I would only say that I have not had any problem with it.

And did you ever consider that amazon may not be able to post your review of it because of possible slander that could cause a legal issue or perhaps could be considered to border on a legal issue.

Either way, to each his own. I would prefer to use only the oem charger, but for the money I figured I had nothing to lose and for me it works better than I expected.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I've personally written negative reviews and then minutes later I get a message from the seller asking me to remove it, and honestly I don't. Instead I go in and edit the review to make it a bit nicer (where applicable), AND add the seller's request for me to remove my honest review.
I've had that happen once too! They even offered me a 10% refund (on my $14 order). hah!