Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Post Qi versus wired charging - S5 results

    I used the Galaxy Charging Current app to look at my S5 with the OEM charging cover. Charging current average is 1200 mA wired, 640mA on Qi with the "lilysagu" tilt chargers we use at home and work, and with the Sammy OEM Qi charger.

    Operating status conditions of the S5 were the same for both - basically I measured the charging current on the Qi stand, then unplugged the power supply from the stand and plugged the power cord directly into the S5.

    My wife's S5 uses the "fone salesman SlimPWRcard" add-on receiver, and her charging current with that receiver is about the same as my Sammy OEM Qi back. To make a direct comparison would require that I set both S5s to be running exactly the same apps, network, etc. and frankly that's more trouble than it's worth considering the small difference in measured current between the two.

    So it appears that Qi charging takes about twice as long as wired charging. For my wife and me (we both have an S5) that's not an issue since the S5 battery life is more than adequate for all day use so we just drop the units on the charging stands when we go to bed. We love Qi charging - I'm posting this for the heavy users, for whom faster charging may be important.

    Ted

    Edit: I received the suggestion to measure the charging current using the OEM power supply and that charges the S5 at 1800mA. Qi charging is about three times slower than that.
    Last edited by photoman333; 08-17-2014 at 08:17 AM.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Qi versus wired charging - S5 results

    Quote Originally Posted by photoman333 View Post
    I used the Galaxy Charging Current app to look at my S5 with the OEM charging cover. Charging current average is 1200 mA wired, 640mA on Qi with the "lilysagu" tilt chargers we use at home and work, and with the Sammy OEM Qi charger.

    Operating status conditions of the S5 were the same for both - basically I measured the charging current on the Qi stand, then unplugged the power supply from the stand and plugged the power cord directly into the S5.

    My wife's S5 uses the "fone salesman SlimPWRcard" add-on receiver, and her charging current with that receiver is about the same as my Sammy OEM Qi back. To make a direct comparison would require that I set both S5s to be running exactly the same apps, network, etc. and frankly that's more trouble than it's worth considering the small difference in measured current between the two.

    So it appears that Qi charging takes about twice as long as wired charging. For my wife and me (we both have an S5) that's not an issue since the S5 battery life is more than adequate for all day use so we just drop the units on the charging stands when we go to bed. We love Qi charging - I'm posting this for the heavy users, for whom faster charging may be important.

    Ted

    Edit: I received the suggestion to measure the charging current using the OEM power supply and that charges the S5 at 1800mA. Qi charging is about three times slower than that.
    I looked at the charge rate through GSAM and as you said Qi is at least twice as slow as wired. The added thickness, heat and slower charging made my decision to go back yo regular charging easy.

    Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Qi versus wired charging - S5 results

    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    I looked at the charge rate through GSAM and as you said Qi is at least twice as slow as wired. The added thickness, heat and slower charging made my decision to go back yo regular charging easy.

    Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
    Everyone has a different viewpoint. I have large hands and find the added thickness to be more comfortable. I don't find Qi charging with the OEM back heats up the phone - that's way more a problem with some of the 3rd party receivers that get squished up against the battery. And the S5's battery lasts me all day so recharging the phone can take all night as far as I and my wife are concerned.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Qi versus wired charging - S5 results

    Quote Originally Posted by photoman333 View Post
    Everyone has a different viewpoint. I have large hands and find the added thickness to be more comfortable. I don't find Qi charging with the OEM back heats up the phone - that's way more a problem with some of the 3rd party receivers that get squished up against the battery. And the S5's battery lasts me all day so recharging the phone can take all night as far as I and my wife are concerned.
    The OEM back heated up my phone although not to and extreme degree. Still though if it works for you that's great!

    Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Qi versus wired charging - S5 results

    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    The OEM back heated up my phone although not to and extreme degree. Still though if it works for you that's great!

    Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Similar Threads

  1. Screen protector for the S5 Active?
    By pjniez in forum Samsung Galaxy S5 Active
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-08-2014, 03:14 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-17-2014, 09:18 AM
  3. S5 photo view on Samsung TV
    By entrealz in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2014, 09:54 AM
  4. Finger swipe stopped working can't access s5
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2014, 07:46 AM
  5. Bose Bluetooth headset noisy with Galaxy s5
    By birdnerd258211 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-15-2014, 06:14 AM

Posting Permissions