Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By clitrenta
  • 2 Post By MONDINGO
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Coming from LG G3! How do you like the Active?

    Hey guys.. I'm getting my S5 Active today. Had a g3 but had issues like crazy with 3 phones.. After 2 hours with AT&T relations, they agreed for me to pick a new phone.. So I'm a mechanic and workout. So I picked the S5 Active..
    How do you guys like it so far? Also please don't tell me all your problems. I don't want to look for them. Lol. I had enough of them with my g3..
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Coming from LG G3! How do you like the Active?

    Welcome to the club; I'm quite happy with my S5 Active but that's this week. I tend to change phones more than my underwear. I have yet to find a phone that handles outdoor light better, I haven't found the detail on it but it has some form of ultra saturation mode that washes out some colors but is extremely bright. If you want to root your phone to gain access to things like Titanium Backup or SD Card fix or custom ROMs you will need to take some more extreme efforts, for me it's worth it. At&t S 5 Active Restore Thread (NE4) | AT&T Galaxy S 5 | XDA Forum

    I'd also recommend a tempered glass screen protector, they fit nicely on this phone and protect against that one time you have sand in your pocket and scratch the screen. People claim it helps against drops, I'm not sold on that but if true is a nice added bonus. I also rotate batteries, nicer than constantly plug, just run it dead and swap.

    I'm sure there is more I will think of as the day goes on.
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Coming from LG G3! How do you like the Active?

    Quote Originally Posted by MONDINGO View Post
    Hey guys.. I'm getting my S5 Active today. Had a g3 but had issues like crazy with 3 phones.. After 2 hours with AT&T relations, they agreed for me to pick a new phone.. So I'm a mechanic and workout. So I picked the S5 Active..
    How do you guys like it so far? Also please don't tell me all your problems. I don't want to look for them. Lol. I had enough of them with my g3..
    I didn't come from a G3 but it was one of the 2 others I was thinking of before I got my active. I'm very happy with my choice. In the end it came down to a couple of things. I was fairly concerned about the G3's screen and how it would affect battery life and then of course if I went that way, it would mean giving up my Gear 2 although I read of one guy who managed to side load Gear Manager onto the G3 and made it work. I don't want to even deal with all of that. To my way of thinking, things work better together if they were designed to work that way. Besides, there was no getting away from how the Active felt in my hand. I loved it. I dislike iPhones immensely but I will admit that they feel good in the hand (that's all I'll give it). The Active is the first phone I've really felt was made solid since maybe the LG MyTouch Slide (an oldie but goodie). I still like Samsung a lot, I just wish they'd build their phones a little better. If they did that, they'd blow iPhones out of the water. They did in fact do that with the Active and I am very happy with it. Not to big and not to small and works great.
    Connie L "Go BIG or Go Home"
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Coming from LG G3! How do you like the Active?

    Thanks guys for all the replies. I'm really looking forward to this phone. My wife just called, it's home and delivered. I'm anal about my phone too. I ordered a glass screen protector too and a case. Won't be there till tomorrow. So I will have to wait 1 more day before playing with it. Lol
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Coming from LG G3! How do you like the Active?

    The guy at the AT&T store was trying to get me to go with the LG G3, because you get some deal on a tablet with it. I had an LG phone years ago, back when flip phones were popular, and the battery on that was horrible, so I've stayed away from LG phones since then. I knew what I wanted when I walked into the store and nothing was going to change my mind. I love the S5 Active, the only difference is that it doesn't have a fingerprint scanner (which I'd never use anyway) and it doesn't use USB 3.0 like the normal S5.

    It has a great screen and is really fast at multitasking, which is what I was looking for in a phone. The only thing I have a problem with is the little thing that covers the USB port, it always gets in the way when I try to plug my phone in at night.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Coming from LG G3! How do you like the Active?

    Quote Originally Posted by Resendetra View Post
    The guy at the AT&T store was trying to get me to go with the LG G3, because you get some deal on a tablet with it. I had an LG phone years ago, back when flip phones were popular, and the battery on that was horrible, so I've stayed away from LG phones since then. I knew what I wanted when I walked into the store and nothing was going to change my mind. I love the S5 Active, the only difference is that it doesn't have a fingerprint scanner (which I'd never use anyway) and it doesn't use USB 3.0 like the normal S5.

    It has a great screen and is really fast at multitasking, which is what I was looking for in a phone. The only thing I have a problem with is the little thing that covers the USB port, it always gets in the way when I try to plug my phone in at night.
    I played with it a little last night. Did not activate it yet. Waiting on my screen protector and case first. I noticed the cover too on the charging port.. Feels like it's going to break.. Lol..
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Coming from LG G3! How do you like the Active?

    Quote Originally Posted by MONDINGO View Post
    I played with it a little last night. Did not activate it yet. Waiting on my screen protector and case first. I noticed the cover too on the charging port.. Feels like it's going to break.. Lol..
    Those things are curiously strong I think. My daughter showed me a way to deal with it quickly otherwise it tends to get in the way when you try to plug it in. If that's all I have to complain about, I'll live with it. I love this thing. I notice that the only time this phone gets bad reviews is when someone drops it or gets water on it and it doesn't hold up. I have no idea if that's all there is to the story and I get this phone is supposed to be strong but really I treat this like any other phone - never drop it and NEVER get it wet. The way I handle my phone, that is very unlikely to happen but it's nice to know I stand a better chance of surviving such an event with this phone. Regardless of how well its made, I doubt you could drop any phone face down on cement or a hard floor and not have it break. For the record though, I've also had people tell me they actually took their phone under water and took pictures with it without issue. Sounds great but I'll just leave it alone and not tempt the cell phone gods.
    Connie L "Go BIG or Go Home"
    Resendetra likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Coming from LG G3! How do you like the Active?

    Quote Originally Posted by clitrenta View Post
    Those things are curiously strong I think. My daughter showed me a way to deal with it quickly otherwise it tends to get in the way when you try to plug it in. If that's all I have to complain about, I'll live with it. I love this thing. I notice that the only time this phone gets bad reviews is when someone drops it or gets water on it and it doesn't hold up. I have no idea if that's all there is to the story and I get this phone is supposed to be strong but really I treat this like any other phone - never drop it and NEVER get it wet. The way I handle my phone, that is very unlikely to happen but it's nice to know I stand a better chance of surviving such an event with this phone. Regardless of how well its made, I doubt you could drop any phone face down on cement or a hard floor and not have it break. For the record though, I've also had people tell me they actually took their phone under water and took pictures with it without issue. Sounds great but I'll just leave it alone and not tempt the cell phone gods.
    You are exactly like me with phones. Just because it's more durable, doesn't mean I'm going to treat it any different.. I take care of my phones.. Can't wait to actually activate it and use it tonight. Hopefully my signal and reception is better then my g3.. That was terrible.. I'll let you know how it goes. And I will only use underwater cameras.. Lol. Not my phone..
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Coming from LG G3! How do you like the Active?

    Quote Originally Posted by MONDINGO View Post
    You are exactly like me with phones. Just because it's more durable, doesn't mean I'm going to treat it any different.. I take care of my phones.. Can't wait to actually activate it and use it tonight. Hopefully my signal and reception is better then my g3.. That was terrible.. I'll let you know how it goes. And I will only use underwater cameras.. Lol. Not my phone..
    On the other hand, I have an iPhone 4s for work (yuk) and I just put a Defender Otterbox on it that they sent me. That thing feels like a tank. Wouldn't mind putting that to the test since it isn't mine.
    Connie L "Go BIG or Go Home"
    Thanked by:
  10. #10  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    8,899 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,902 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Coming from LG G3! How do you like the Active?

    Let us know how you like the device when you get to activate and use it. It's essentially a rugged version of the S5. Here is Android Central's review of the S5 Active if you wanted to read up a little more on it: Galaxy S5 Active review | Android Central

    Please post your thoughts whenever you can. It's a nice device and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Coming from LG G3! How do you like the Active?

    Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Let us know how you like the device when you get to activate and use it. It's essentially a rugged version of the S5. Here is Android Central's review of the S5 Active if you wanted to read up a little more on it: Galaxy S5 Active review | Android Central

    Please post your thoughts whenever you can. It's a nice device and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
    All I have to say is wow! I am really impressed with this phone. Just activated last night. Still setting it up. And already it has no lag issues and signal strength is twice as much as my G3 had. I love finding out how much this phone can do..The screen resolution to the naked eye isn't that much less than the g3. I will post more after a few days of usage.. Thanks for the link. .
    srkmagnus and Resendetra like this.
  12. #12  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    8,899 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,902 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Coming from LG G3! How do you like the Active?

    Quote Originally Posted by MONDINGO View Post
    All I have to say is wow! I am really impressed with this phone. Just activated last night. Still setting it up. And already it has no lag issues and signal strength is twice as much as my G3 had. I love finding out how much this phone can do..The screen resolution to the naked eye isn't that much less than the g3. I will post more after a few days of usage.. Thanks for the link. .
    Awesome! Looking forward to seeing more thoughts on the device as you get some more time with it.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Coming from LG G3! How do you like the Active?

    I learned something, which may sound kind of odd, but we're going to go with it. I was on the phone with my mother the other night and usually it's a 3 hour long session of her talking about this and that, which can become tiresome, and make me lose track of things I should or want to be doing. I put her on speakerphone, because smartphones have never been comfortable for long periods of time up to my ear. After about an hour I got the idea of leaving her on speakerphone, putting the phone down, and taking a shower. Now this is the point I'm trying to make, she never once actually knew I was in the shower and when I told her afterward, she told me that she never even heard the water running. That's how good the speakerphone seems to be on this phone. I remember with my S3, she could always hear the water running when I would wash the dishes, so it seems that it wouldn't be a problem with this phone, being that she couldn't hear the shower going.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Coming from LG G3! How do you like the Active?

    Quote Originally Posted by Resendetra View Post
    I learned something, which may sound kind of odd, but we're going to go with it. I was on the phone with my mother the other night and usually it's a 3 hour long session of her talking about this and that, which can become tiresome, and make me lose track of things I should or want to be doing. I put her on speakerphone, because smartphones have never been comfortable for long periods of time up to my ear. After about an hour I got the idea of leaving her on speakerphone, putting the phone down, and taking a shower. Now this is the point I'm trying to make, she never once actually knew I was in the shower and when I told her afterward, she told me that she never even heard the water running. That's how good the speakerphone seems to be on this phone. I remember with my S3, she could always hear the water running when I would wash the dishes, so it seems that it wouldn't be a problem with this phone, being that she couldn't hear the shower going.
    So what if that whole time she asked you a question? Could she still hear you or vice versa? Lol. Funny story. She sounds like my mom. .lol
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Coming from LG G3! How do you like the Active?

    Quote Originally Posted by MONDINGO View Post
    So what if that whole time she asked you a question? Could she still hear you or vice versa? Lol. Funny story. She sounds like my mom. .lol
    Lol yeah, we had a perfectly normal conversation, I could hear her and she could hear me just fine. That's why she was surprised I was in the shower.

    Sent from my Galaxy S5 Active using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Active user
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Coming from LG G3! How do you like the Active?

    Quote Originally Posted by Resendetra View Post
    Lol yeah, we had a perfectly normal conversation, I could hear her and she could hear me just fine. That's why she was surprised I was in the shower.

    Sent from my Galaxy S5 Active using Tapatalk
    I'll have to try that next time with my mom..lol..I'll let you know how it goes. .
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Coming from LG G3! How do you like the Active?

    I've only had mine a couple of days, but overall I like it. Still playing with buttons/screens to make it "mine". For sure get the case as the phone itself is slippery as a fish in my hands. Of course I have pretty large tough meat hooks after being in the industrial mechanic business for over 40 years. I too put a screen protector on as it just seemed the right thing to do given the size of the screen and carrying it in my pocket with change or keys. The case I got is a Case Mate Sport. It matches the red finish quite well
    Thanked by:
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: Coming from LG G3! How do you like the Active?

    Quote Originally Posted by BettysNephew View Post
    I've only had mine a couple of days, but overall I like it. Still playing with buttons/screens to make it "mine". For sure get the case as the phone itself is slippery as a fish in my hands. Of course I have pretty large tough meat hooks after being in the industrial mechanic business for over 40 years. I too put a screen protector on as it just seemed the right thing to do given the size of the screen and carrying it in my pocket with change or keys. The case I got is a Case Mate Sport. It matches the red finish quite well
    Enjoy bud..I'm loving mine. The only thing I worry about is the buttons wearing out. .But we will see. Have A Glass Screen protector And A Case Also. I'm a mechanic, so need protection. .
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Coming from LG G3! How do you like the Active?

    I tried my phone in the pool yesterday. I was so scared to do it at first though, but it turned out okay. It takes great under water video, but it gets a bit blurry when you come back up, it fixes itself though after a few seconds.

    Sent from my Galaxy S5 Active using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Active user
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Coming from LG G3! How do you like the Active?

    Quote Originally Posted by Resendetra View Post
    I tried my phone in the pool yesterday. I was so scared to do it at first though, but it turned out okay. It takes great under water video, but it gets a bit blurry when you come back up, it fixes itself though after a few seconds.

    Sent from my Galaxy S5 Active using Tapatalk
    You're braver than I am but I didn't buy it for that anyway. Still, nice to know it works as advertised.
    Connie L "Go BIG or Go Home"

Similar Threads

  1. power saving mode not active
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 03:06 AM
  2. Galaxy S3: Active Call Screen
    By OkayAndriod in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-29-2014, 12:40 PM
  3. LG G3 and Poweramp App
    By st3velj in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-26-2014, 01:58 PM
  4. [NERDS GITT] Switching from iPhone 5S to Samsung Galaxy S5
    By Bryan Desrosiers in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2014, 12:45 PM
  5. Replacement LG G2
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2014, 12:30 PM

Posting Permissions