When I turn my phone on it now says custom...

Joe Miller29

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
When I turn my phone on it now says custom with a unlocked lock symbol.. Never noticed this before. Does anyone know why it is there?

Posted via the Android Central App

Joe Miller29

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
That's what I was thinking but no haven't done anything like that i wouldn't even know how to.. I got on Google to find out how to see if Knox has been tripped but it hasn't... So I have no clue why it says that..

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Would getting in developer options make that show up? I did that but didn't change anything.

No, just opening developer options would not do that. If no one has access to your phone, that's the darndest thing then, because I've never seen that other than on a rooted, customed Rom. I would suggest taking to the samsung bar, or back to your carrier for a fix or replacement, but my bet is that it would be difficult to convince them that it was not rooted. Knox "not" being tripped, does not rule out rooting, there are many rooted methods that bypass knox tripping.

If no one has access to your phone, that could have done it, then take it to the samsung bar, or carrier and see if they'll replace/repair, that's the only suggestion I can offer, other than going ahead with root, lol!

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
You can try a program called "Triangle Away," in the playstore, it's designed to get rid of that, not sure if it will work on your device, but it might be worth a shot. I used it awhile back on my note 3 with at&t and it worked like charm in getting rid of that icon; the only thing different, is that I knew I was rooted.

Joe Miller29

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Yeah nobody else uses my phone.. It's driving me crazy I've seen on Google that I'm not the only one this has happened to but cant figure out a answer why

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Did you switch to ART? If so switch back to dalvik and it will go away. It definetly has to do with the developer options. Try turning off the developer option too.

Joe Miller29

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Yeah i switched to art but alot of apps wouldn't work at the time so I switched back I'll try turning them off and see what happens thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Custom generally voids the warranty. (It depends on how knowledgeable the person you're talking to is, and which carrier you're on.) It has nothing to do with developer options, it means that the ROM isn't stock. A bad update (they don't always work over the air - it's a known [by those who code things like over the air updates] design flaw in the Android update process) could cause it.

Either live with it (the next update could fix it) or see if your carrier will at least reflash the ROM.

Joe Miller29

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks I'll deal with it for now and see if the next update fixes it.. Like i was sayin not a big deal but like you said I don't want my warranty voided for no reason and if it is and there is nothing I can do about it I guess I'll go ahead and root next chance I get

Joe Miller29

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Well I just pulled the battery out restarted my phone and boom the custom and the lock is gone not sure when it fixed it's sell bc I've tried that b4 but it's not there now so guess I'm good

Paul Roe

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I have the same thing. I'm looking into it. Good thing is I do this for a living. I assume it has to do with the updates that were just put out to deal with the flashlight issue. I'll post what I find.

Oryahn

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Okay. Paul, you say you do this for a living and hopes are being lost that you are going to get back with us with any information. After all, it's been six months since you said you would look into it.

To those of you that have this problem. The news gets worse. At least for me it did. I made the mistake of not having insurance. Warranty is up as far as I know. Phone is over a year old. Mine started one day in the car....my wife was driving...it's okay. My phone was sitting between us. I looked down and saw that my phone had gone into a download mode. Said it was DOWNLOADING. I know what downloading is, but never saw this screen before. So I left it going as it instructed to not disconnect the phone...disconnect from what....the battery? Anyway, the car ride was about another 40 minutes and the phone was still on this screen....Big ugly android guy that was downloading something. Well, we stayed at my in-laws for a few hours and left. My phone was still in that mode. I decided to wait until I got home. I was so worried that, if I pulled the battery, the phone was going to be ruined. After the long ride home, I get inside the house and decide to just pull the battery and restart. Luckily the phone booted just fine. But, over these last few months, my phone continued to do this. Would be using the phone and suddenly it would go to that big ugly guy again and telling me it was downloading. 15 or 20 minutes later I would pull the battery and all was fine. After a while I would just pull the batter immediately after seeing that ugly droid. Then my phone in the last 4 or 5 weeks started restarting. I could be in the middle of typing a text message and it would just reboot. I started searching online for others with this problem and saw things about the "CUSTOM" word showing up. I checked on mine as it went through this process and, guess what, mine said it was CUSTOM. Brand new phone, never had anything done to other than download a few games from the Play Store. Then about a week and a half ago, my phone would only boot to a screen that told me that my phone will not boot because there had been something done to it that was not supposed to be done and to contact....either my carrier or Samsung....can't remember which. Now today, the phone threw me for a complete loop....literally. It boots to the Samsung screen, shuts off, turns itself back on, boots to the Samsung screen, shuts off, turns itself back on, boots to the Samsung screen, shuts off, turns itself...you get the picture. Now, my phone is the Note 4 with T-Mobile as my carrier. I'm thinking of chatting with T-Mobile or possibly Samsung, but I'm certain they will tell me that my phone had the rooting or custom system put on it or one of these things that people keep saying must have been what caused it. What caused it was a faulty phone that is almost 2 years old. Was brand new from T-Mobile and never had any customization done. So I would assume that some of you with this problem will eventually come into some, if not all, of the problems I have and will be out of a phone that cost you almost $800. Well, that's what I paid for it over a year ago. So if anyone....PAUL....really does do this for a living, or has come up with a solution, please enlighten us with this solution.

Thank you.