Why isn't my S5 Active charging?

cici w

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
Can't Charge My S5 Active

I've had my S5 Active for just a couple months, now. Last night, I tried charging it and when I plugged it into the wall charger, it would show that it's charging for a couple seconds but then would say that the charger was unplugged, even though it wasn't. I'm using the original charger that was given to me and I'm pretty sure it's not damaged yet. I plugged it into all sorts of working outlets (and computers) around the house and experienced the same problem. An article online suggested lifting up the tab inside the USB port in the phone, so I did but it didn't help. Every time I try charging my phone, it only works for a few seconds. I have to shamefully admit, though, that just before, I took my S5 Active and washed it with shampoo... I'm pretty sure I rinsed and dried it thoroughly, but it might not have been enough. So, what do I need to do to get my phone charging again? Thank you! :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can't Charge My S5 Active

Washed the outside? Or got some shampoo (even a few drops) inside?

If inside, what you can do now it get all the data off it, do a factory reset and find a garbage can. By now it's so corroded inside that it would cost more to clean and replace parts than it would to buy a new phone.

If you're sure it's never been wet inside, gently move the plug where it goes into the phone when charging stops and see if that gets it charging again. If so, you need a new charging port. (The part isn't expensive - the labor to replace it will probably bring the repair into the $50-$100 range.)

(Remember, the phone is water resistant, notwater proof. The pressure of water falling a foot from a faucet is enough to force water into the phone. It will resist being used in a rain heavy enough that you're running for shelter, but not 2 seconds of spray from a hose at 60 psi. Regardless of the videos you've seen, treat a water resistant phone as if it could melt like sugar, the same as any other phone. Then, when you put it down, and there's a little puddle of water on the table, the phone won't be damaged the way non-water-resistant phones will be.)

Reese Hill

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
i am having the same issue! have you fixed yours yet? any suggestions? I have a small feeling that its not the plug but its the phone itself... please get back to me! - Reese:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae