S5 Active SM-G870A, can I get some root help?

Windrac

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
S5 Active SM-G870A Root Help!

Good morning!

First time poster, long time admirer. I'm having quite a bit of trouble trying to root my Galaxy S5 Active G870A. I consider myself technically literate - I'm a ham radio operator, I've built computers, I'm an engineering student at Purdue, and I have installed / modded OSs on PCs before - but I'm totally new to mobile phone modding.

Once long ago, I had my phone rooted with towelroot, but then it updated and I lost root and have not been able to get it back since. (I searched this forum, with no explicit luck) I've tried towelroot with no success, getting the error "phone not supported". My end goal is to install CM11 or another good bloatware-free and battery-saving ROM of anybody's recommendation.

Further phone specs:
Android 4.4.2
Baseband: G870AUCU1ANG3
Kernel: 3.4.0-2304514
Build #: KOT49H.G870AUCU1ANG3

I freaking love this phone - I just want the bloatware gone and a refresh since I've had the phone for a while. I like the look of CM.

Thanks for the help!

Windrac

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: S5 Active SM-G870A Root Help!

Don't think so. It seems that almost all of the information out there on downgrading is pertinent to the 5.0 > 4.4.2 downgrade rather than a 4.4.2 > 4.3 downgrade.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Good morning!

First time poster, long time admirer. I'm having quite a bit of trouble trying to root my Galaxy S5 Active G870A. I consider myself technically literate - I'm a ham radio operator, I've built computers, I'm an engineering student at Purdue, and I have installed / modded OSs on PCs before - but I'm totally new to mobile phone modding.

Once long ago, I had my phone rooted with towelroot, but then it updated and I lost root and have not been able to get it back since. (I searched this forum, with no explicit luck) I've tried towelroot with no success, getting the error "phone not supported". My end goal is to install CM11 or another good bloatware-free and battery-saving ROM of anybody's recommendation.

Further phone specs:
Android 4.4.2
Baseband: G870AUCU1ANG3
Kernel: 3.4.0-2304514
Build #: KOT49H.G870AUCU1ANG3

I freaking love this phone - I just want the bloatware gone and a refresh since I've had the phone for a while. I like the look of CM.

Thanks for the help!

Hello and welcome to android Central Windrac!

Unlike the stock Samsung models, AT&T do not want you to root your phone and make it either... 1. Difficult, or, 2. Impossible.

Luckily, your phone is in the, "Difficult", category as you are on Android 4.4.2 firmware NG3.

In a nutshell, you need to downgrade the kernel to a rootable one, NE4. Root your phone with Towelroot and then upgrade your kernel again.

How to do this and what you will need are all explained in post #1 of...

[How-To] Root G870AUCU1ANG3 (GS5 Active)

Please take the time to read the whole thread through, carefully and thoroughly, before embarking on rooting. If you have any further questions, you can either post in that thread or the forum on here, that is dedicated to all things root, Samsung Galaxy S5 Rooting, ROMs & Hacks

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure!"

Windrac

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site

Ironass,

Thank you so much! This worked perfect on the first try. I Just got back from school and took 10 minutes to give it a go. For anybody else who finds this thread, here is a good writeup on how to use Odin: *this forum won't let me post links. Will post it later*

Now, it appears that there is no CM for the S5 Active. Do you all have any good ROM recommendations?

Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12