Possibly impossible

mrtanqueray

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Here the situation--
S5 Active (obvi)
Android 4.2

Last September I rooted the phone and went into /system/priv-app and /system/applications and deleted the app store, along with browsers/youtube/anything else that was a time waster. By and large I like my phone a lot better now but there's one problem. Some apps like Uber and Google fit complain that "Google Play Services are not supported on this device" when I try and launch them. I've already reinstalled the latest Google Play Services apk but I still get the message when trying to use those apps. Only when I re-install Google Play App Store can those apps find Google Play Services. So...

Is there any way to NOT have the app store and get apps to recognize that Google Play Services is in fact installed on the phone?

Thanks!

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You are probably missing about 1,000 app and services updates (including security updates) as well. Do you *really* think that is a good idea?

mrtanqueray

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the cautionary advice. Ridding myself of extraneous digital BS is one of the best things I've done for myself in my adult life. That being said you can't beat the convenience of some apps like Uber, for example. So to answer your question, yes--I really do think it's a good idea.

Does anyone have any ideas I can experiment with? I'm happy to hear your suggestions.