Does anyone else have a problem with the screen not rotating?

anon(9432119)

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I've had the S5 mini for about a month and recently notice the screen doesn't rotate. I DO have the "screen rotation" toggled ON. I can get the screen to rotate after I restart the phone but after awhile it gets stuck again. Also when the screen won't rotate, it also won't make calls when I hold the phone to my ear so I'm guessing it has something to do with the accelerometer.

Does anyone else have this problem?

mevans05

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
YES, and i'm just about done with my phone. Verizon and Samsung support was useless. After a hard reset all they have said is it's a "software issue" and i should get a new phone. Fed up with this BS. i have 2 small kids and all my videos and photos are vertical. Pissed off!

anon(9432119)

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I spoke with Samsung technical support. The guy had me boot the phone in safe mode which disables all my downloaded apps. I kept it in safe mode for about a day and a half and it does not freeze the screen in vertical. The guy said the problem is caused by my apps so I uninstalled all of them then reinstalled them one by one to see which was causing the problem. I gave it a good amount of time between each install to see if it causes the problem. I thought I had it figured out which app was causing it but the problem persisted. Then I did a factory reset and all seemed well for a day and a half but the problem came back.

I was hoping that the recent update (yesterday) was going to fix this issue but it did not.

anon(9432119)

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I did a little bit more searching and it turns out this problem has been around since the S3. Some people have "fixed" the issue by smacking the phone against something or dropping it to "shock" the sensor I guess. Not sure if this is a permanent fix to stop it from happening or to get it to work again when it freezes.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried a third party rotation app like "ultimate rotation"? I have been using for years since samsung phones would not go into landscape on the homescreen.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

anon(9432119)

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I smacked my phone and it seems to have cured the problem. I don't want to jinx it but it's been about 2 days and it hasn't happened again. Lets hope it stays that way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781