Various Issues from Brightness to Settings

lbandrew

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
My phone brightness from time to time gets so dim I can't even see the screen to increase the brightness. Doesn't matter whether or not it's on auto.
Right now although brightness is at max, can hardly read it.

Recently, getting error messages that Settings is not working, Voxox is not working, and most recently it is shutting off almost immediately after turning on, even before I could possibly swipe my finger. Haven't really installed many apps at all, most recently Delta and a scanner/reader since Delta's stupid app won't keep a boarding pass up unless you're connected to internet.
Have removed the few that I don't use very often. Have cleared cache partition in safe mode.

Do I just have a dud? It is 6 months old, from Amazon, unlocked GSM and using TMobile pay-as-you-go. Can't see the Android version for sure (on this page the brightness stops halfway down the page) but think it may be 4.4.2

Not a tecchie! Any advice sincerely appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try booting into Safe Mode, which temporarily disables all 3rd party apps. Safe, mode, start,

If the problem disappears in Safe Mode, then something you installed is causing the problem. You may have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem disappears. If the problem persists in Safe Mode, then it's more likely to be a hardware or firmware problem.

Adam Zoosk

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
I had that issue about two weeks ago. I was browsing web pages and suddenly the screen dimmed. I thought it was because it was dark, but as OP said the settings made no difference. Using the slider in display settings had zero effect. I turned the phone off and back on but the screen was still dimmed. I then turned off automatic brightness and the screen lit back up, I re-checked auto brightness and tried the slider and it worked, so I left it at that. (I tried blocking the front sensor as well but that made no difference). Later that day the screen dimmed again, whilst browsing the internet. I went back into settings and again no response from the slider or auto brightness. I then turned off, Auto adjust screen tone, and the screen lit back up. Since then *touch wood* no issues. So just to confirm, I had a screen dimming issue that, so far, has not happened again after turning off Automatic brightness and Auto adjust screen tone. My phone is only 2 months old too. (I know this is probably not the best answer but maybe its helpful?)

lbandrew

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, BD and AZ. Tried both your suggestions and, (as you say) knock wood, for NOW screen dimming does not seem to be an issue. Now I have a NEW problem. Think I'll post it separately though for more visibility.