Galaxy S5: Odin failing to root

0wlz

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I decided to root my new S5, I've rooted a few S3s and S4s but when it comes to my S5 it decides it doesn't wanna work, I have all the drivers and kies.

This is the text I get:

<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> recovery.img
<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/005> FAIL! (Auth)

Anyone got an idea?
Thanks!

Omar Ramzi

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah i cant seem to be able to root my s5 either same model international qualcomm variant sm-g900f. Ive used both odins and still keeps on giving me the FAIL! (auth) message. Anybody know what could be the issue? Thanks.

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth, I'm rooted, and kinda wish I hadn't. There's no real group out there that's putting anything out for the s5 (Or at least I haven't found them). You will miss the OTA updates if you root

Dale Borrelli

May 6, 2014
Visit site
chainfire xda quote op-Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!

- Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip file (see posts below this one)
- If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file - don't extract that one
- (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
- Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
- Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
- Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
- (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
- Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
- Click the Start button
- Wait for Android to boot
- Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

NOTE: Sometimes the device does *not* boot into recovery mode and root your device. Just do the entire procedure again if this happens. If it still will not install root and such, make sure that in Odin "Auto Reboot" is not checked. Then after flashing, pull the battery, and boot with VolUp+Home+Power button to boot into recovery manually. This will start the install process.

New to Samsung? Unfamiliar with Odin? Think all the above is a hassle? Get used to it. It's very simple, and us Samsung folk use Odin (or Mobile ODIN ) for everything! It's so very very convenient once you get used to it. Notice the 30 second comment above? For experienced users, the entire process indeed takes only 30 seconds!

Dale Borrelli

May 6, 2014
Visit site
There is tonsssssss of development goin on over at xda, just type your variant of s5 and carrier name, into search box and it will bring you to your forum. And if you want to update all you have to do is download your stock firmware file from sammobile. To find what firmware you have got to about phone in settings. Flash the firmware file from sammobile using odin. It doesn't delete everything best thing since sliced bread!!!! It use to erase when you restored firmware but it takes back to as if you were original stock unrooted, then go to system update...update, then re-root! wam bam thank u mammmm!

sancho187

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Not necessarily I have my t-mobile s5 rooted running kitkat 4.4.2 rooted it then a few months later lollipop starts rolling out of course you won't get the OTA update but I connected my phone to kies3 and it showed that I had root access and it still updated my phone to lollipop 5.0.......I thought once you root your phone you are no longer able to get official firmware updates. But anyways lollipop sucks in my opinion so I got my original stock firmware, bootloader, modem, etc. And went back to kitkat.

Posted via the Android Central App

kram mark

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
pls help. when I boot with VolUp+Home+Power button to boot into recovery manually it didnt function. what should i do? ive already done the rooting procees but it failed and it stuck, i cant turn on the phone. The phone stuck to the message with "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in kies & try again" whenever i tried to turn on the phone.

mcarden2006

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I want to give a big thank you to you. I've been doing everything trying to root and you are a master. As soon as I did what you mentioned, it worked perfectly.

Thank you.

bodens

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know if this works on Version 4.4.4? I have been having a similar issue when trying to regain root access of my phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith