Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,613 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.

Default Re: Root Any Carrier S5

Very easy root to use and stable

Sent from my Galaxy S5

I came across this and I'm highly tempted to root. I've never done it before, but this method seems like the easiest way to do it. Just a couple of questions though.

1. Once I'm rooted can I update my phone via official ota updates? If not, can I update via Kies? Or are updates just out of the picture?

2. Knox. Other than tripping the efuse and voiding the warranty are there any other repercussions?

Anyway, the main thing for me are updates. I would love to root just to get rid of some of the bloatware (and block ads), but not at the expense of losing the ability to update easily.

Anyway, I appreciate an insight on the topic. Thanks!

Yes ota updates are available.

No it will not trip the knox.
    Thanked by:
    urabob 

Quote Originally Posted by urabob View Post
    I came across this and I'm highly tempted to root. I've never done it before, but this method seems like the easiest way to do it. Just a couple of questions though.

1. Once I'm rooted can I update my phone via official ota updates? If not, can I update via Kies? Or are updates just out of the picture?

2. Knox. Other than tripping the efuse and voiding the warranty are there any other repercussions?

Anyway, the main thing for me are updates. I would love to root just to get rid of some of the bloatware (and block ads), but not at the expense of losing the ability to update easily.

Anyway, I appreciate an insight on the topic. Thanks!
    I have to agree on this.

I would appreciate removing all of the bloatware totally off the phone and recover the space.

But I won't if it trips the fuse and/or prevents OTA updates.
    Verizon Galaxy S5

If I helped you, Please click
    Thanks button

Will "TOWELROOT" work with the Galaxy S5 T-MOBILE?

Tempted to do so , I used to jailbreak and GeoHot is the f'n man , hands down. From a security professional I give that guy much respect. Jailbreaking my iphone when they first came out and others since then and the free "Cydia". Question - is there a "Android" version of "cydia" And does the Jailbreak work with SPRINT S5? I can't afford to brick this brand new phone..