Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AZgl1500
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Need Help Unrooting and Updating Galaxy S5

Hi all,

I just want to apologize if this thread has been posted already. I spend the past several hours searching for an answer, but I couldn't get a clear answer from any internet source. But if this issue has been answered already, link me to that answer!

I'm new to this whole rooting and unrooting process. I haven't experimented alot because I'm afraid I'll brick my phone somehow.
    Just a brief background, I'm with T-Mobile and I rooted my phone using Chain Fire and SuperSU. I haven't had any problems or concerns with my rooted phone, in fact, I can do so much more with it, as expected. Now, I only rooted my phone and enabled root access (using Odin) but I NEVER flashed a custom ROM. I'm inexperienced, and I didn't want to risk anything more than just enabling root access.

I guess I have 2 main questions to ask, the first being:

1) Can I (and should I?) still update my phone's firmware through Samsung Kies even though I rooted my phone? I tried going through the process, but stopped when I was warned that the firmware update would fail because I was rooted. I didn't want to find out the hard way, and that's why I'm asking here.

2) I know Android 4.4.3 rolls out to Samsung devices soon. With a rooted phone, am I able to receive this update or do I have to unroot first? If I do, how exactly do I do that? I tried looking this up but everything I read asked me to flash the stock ROM back onto my phone, but I never left stock ROM in the first place. I only gave myself root access using ChainFire and SuperSU.

So I guess I'm asking if I have to unroot my phone in order to receive firmware/software updates from Samsung and Google? And if I do, how would I go about doing that, given my situation?

Again, if this issue has already been addressed and solved, please link me to that thread or source! I wouldn't want to waste anyone's time when there's already a solution out there!

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Need Help Unrooting and Updating Galaxy S5

Wrong forum, you should be in the Rooted Phones sub-topic. reporting so it will be moved.
    MacroDroid extends your battery life.
    MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
    OTA updates via WiFi only:
    my WiFi is permanently OFF until Verizon fixes 5.0

fantom305 likes this.