Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Can the at&t Galaxy S5 be rooted?

I'm about to make the switch from an Iphone 5 to a Galaxy S5. My main question is can I root it when I get it? Or is it not currently possible?

Default Re: Can the at&t Galaxy S5 be rooted?

It is and from what I've seen it's really easy to do and undo
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Do you know how I do this? I've heard of a program called towelroot that came out last month but does it still work? Does my software version matter at all?

Quote Originally Posted by tornado711 View Post
    Do you know how I do this? I've heard of a program called towelroot that came out last month but does it still work? Does my software version matter at all?
    Yes Towelroot is the current method for AT&T models. There have not been any OS version updates that prevent it from working so far.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    Yes Towelroot is the current method for AT&T models. There have not been any OS version updates that prevent it from working so far.
    So your sure it would work if I bought the phone tomorrow and it was completely new?

So your sure it would work if I bought the phone tomorrow and it was completely new?
    What I can tell you is it does work, many here on this forum have used this method. When the OS gets updated to the next build will it work then? Dunno, but it does currently. You should probably check out this thread on XDA I'm throwing a party and you should come **GS5 ROOT THREAD** - xda-developers

The towelroot will work as long as your kernel version is before June 3rd?.....not sure if that's the exact date but around that time frame. To check just go into settings>about phone

Posted via Android Central App

AT&T is currently on Kernel 3.4.0-964333 Apr 16
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

So it will work! Yay!!!!

So it will work! Yay!!!!
    Running it now as we speak. Had 0 issues minus custom roms

Posted via Android Central App

Got my phone yesterday (Verizon version) had it rooted (via towelroot) and free wifi tethering (via xposed and X tether) ad blocking (via adblock android) and full SD card access back in action by the evening.

Although I don't have a custom recovery with cleanROM, I am very glad I have all the most important features from my GS3 still available.

-Suntan