Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Adrian Aghaie
  • 1 Post By Adrian Aghaie
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Free Apps on S5

Alright so I just got a galaxy S5 after having an iPhone my whole life and I have almost nothing purchased or downloaded. I have a lot of music and games on my old phone from Gift cards and such, but my s5 is feeling a bit empty. Is there any trustworthy site I can go to and download apk's or something? I've tried this before and everything looks sketchy.

Default Re: Free Apps on S5

We discourage downloading apk files from filesharing sites. It's a good way to get malware, and many of those apks are pirated.
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x 

As a phone game/app developer, it kind of hurts that you would like to pirate games.
    Kind of low. Looks like I need to start implementing software that bricks people's phone when they download illegal files.
    You're taking away money from developers, I hope you know that, when you download apk files or do file sharing. Music is another matter, the artist hardly gets any money from online downloads anyways which is a shame.

I've seen a few of my apps on file sharing services and when it takes me and two of my friends months to make an app, it kind of hurts us.
    It's low...real low.

Posted via Android Central App
    dashmobile, DacyJ and SA Bailey69 like this.

Okay, my comment about musicians seems like a double standard, so let's omit that from my last post. It's shallow regardless.

Buy your content, don't steal it.

Thanked by:
    Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    7,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

https://play.google.com/store

Some people like Amazon's site too.

Nexus through spacetime. Android Central Moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Aghaie View Post
    As a phone game/app developer, it kind of hurts that you would like to pirate games.
    Kind of low. Looks like I need to start implementing software that bricks people's phone when they download illegal files.
    You're taking away money from developers, I hope you know that, when you download apk files or do file sharing. Music is another matter, the artist hardly gets any money from online downloads anyways which is a shame.

I've seen a few of my apps on file sharing services and when it takes me and two of my friends months to make an app, it kind of hurts us.
    It's low...real low.

While I agree with the issue of piracy and the need to support developers, this comment "Looks like I need to start implementing software that bricks people's phone when they download illegal files" really bothers me. Do you have any apps in the Playstore, and if so, are they under your name? I want to make sure I steer clear of them. The fact you would even think about intentionally bricking someone's phone is about the most ridiculous statement from a "developer".

Quote Originally Posted by GamerHaste View Post
    Alright so I just got a galaxy S5 after having an iPhone my whole life and I have almost nothing purchased or downloaded. I have a lot of music and games on my old phone from Gift cards and such, but my s5 is feeling a bit empty. Is there any trustworthy site I can go to and download apk's or something? I've tried this before and everything looks sketchy.
    Amazon offers a free app of the day. Here's the link to download the appstore from Amazon.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Ramer84015#AC View Post
    While I agree with the issue of piracy and the need to support developers, this comment "Looks like I need to start implementing software that bricks people's phone when they download illegal files" really bothers me. Do you have any apps in the Playstore, and if so, are they under your name? I want to make sure I steer clear of them. The fact you would even think about intentionally bricking someone's phone is about the most ridiculous statement from a "developer".
    If someone is intentionally downloading illegally, then yes, I would brick the phone.

There is actually a big wave of developers doing that.
    Would I actually brick it? Probably not, but I'd make sure it makes their system go on the fritz or become nearly inoperable.
    Most major game companies do that, and more non game applications are implementing the same thing.

Either it screws your system or it plays a crummy version of the game ( there is a pc game, which name doesn't come up right now, that puts up a smiley face when you illegally download it)

Oh and we're protected by law to do that to illegal downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Aghaie View Post
    If someone is intentionally downloading illegally, then yes, I would brick the phone.

There is actually a big wave of developers doing that.
    Would I actually brick it? Probably not, but I'd make sure it makes their system go on the fritz or become nearly inoperable.
    Most major game companies do that, and more non game applications are implementing the same thing.

Either it screws your system or it plays a crummy version of the game ( there is a pc game, which name doesn't come up right now, that puts up a smiley face when you illegally download it)

Oh and we're protected by law to do that to illegal downloads.

So someone pirates your .99 app and you'd brick a $600 phone? Since you're protected by law, could you provide a link to this law? I don't advocate piracy, but your logic just totally escapes me.

Pirating a 99 cent app means it could potentially be distributed to many other users, thus denying the developer many instances of a 99 cent payout (or whatever fraction of that he may see). So it may not just be a small amount.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Pirating a 99 cent app means it could potentially be distributed to many other users, thus denying the developer many instances of a 99 cent payout (or whatever fraction of that he may see). So it may not just be a small amount.
    I agree, but still, "brick" someone's phone? With that logic, I wonder how my apps in the Playstore have backdoor coding that is potentially dangerous to a law abiding user?