any downsides to rooting?

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a Verizon S5 that I've held off rooting to this point. I've rooted every other Android phone and tablet I've had, but up to this point, have enjoyed having a fairly stock device. Mostly just not having to worry about receiving updates, and not wanting to screw with the warranty on my phone (I've already had to have it replaced once).

Next week however I am leaving to go to a conference, and will probably need to do a lot of tethering. First and foremost I'm not paying Verizon a dime more just to use data that I already pay for. $30 for mobile hotspot, they are insane.

I've looked at FoxFi, but it seems to be more or less a hacked together solution dealing with VPNs and Certificates, and seems like any minor update can break it. It also doesn't support pattern unlock, which is what I use.

So I've decided I'll probably just use one of the tethering apps that just work without the fanfare, however require root. Would anyone like to suggest an app? I've used WiFi Tether in the past, however doesn't look like it gets very good reviews anymore.

I'm going to use TowelRoot. Will this void the warranty? Does it break that "knox" system everyone talks about. Will I still get OTA updates (I know if I install them they will kill root, but want to at least know when a new update is out)?

Thanks

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
As far as OTA's go; if you end up flashing a custom ROM, you'll stop getting OTA updates. The majority of the time, a dev will put out an updated ROM before the official update hits the phones.

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
As far as OTA's go; if you end up flashing a custom ROM, you'll stop getting OTA updates. The majority of the time, a dev will put out an updated ROM before the official update hits the phones.

Isn't the bootloader locked? I thought that was the only way to flash a custom rom, was if it was unlocked?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood