Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Some questions from someone who wants to root

I've been thinking about rooting to get rid of touchwiz as well as try some different things and I have some questions.
    1. If I install a custom ROM, can I still use stuff like the fingerprint scanner and S Health?
    2. What are my chances of bricking my phone if I am experienced with PC, slightly experienced with using android, and completely new to rooting?
    3. If I ever damage my phone in some way and I unroot, will they still fix my phone?
    4. Is Samsung's only method to check if I voided my warranty via software is to use Knox?

Global Posts
    23,144 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Default Re: Some questions from someone who wants to root

Quote Originally Posted by InfinityMeep View Post
    I've been thinking about rooting to get rid of touchwiz as well as try some different things and I have some questions.
    1. If I install a custom ROM, can I still use stuff like the fingerprint scanner and S Health?
    2. What are my chances of bricking my phone if I am experienced with PC, slightly experienced with using android, and completely new to rooting?
    3. If I ever damage my phone in some way and I unroot, will they still fix my phone?
    1.Fingerprint scanner, I am not sure about. S Health will depend if you flash a TW ROM or AOSP. if you go with an AOSP, you can't use any of the Samsung Apps.
    2. For the most part, if you find a good, detailed guide for rooting the device and followed everything, the chances are minimal. Possible, but minimal.
    3. Depends on the damage. If you physically damage the phone, they will probably fix it. If there is a claim against the software, then probably not. However, it probably would be about as cost effective to file for an insurance claim as opposed to going through Samsung.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Which ROM would you recommend if I still want to use some of Samsung's apps and features?

Global Posts
    23,144 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Which ROM would you recommend if I still want to use some of Samsung's apps and features?
    What carrier do you have?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I'm with Wind mobile. I have the SM-G900W8. I tried towelroot, but it didn't work, so I will probably have to wait until the developer makes a new version.

Global Posts
    23,144 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

I'm with Wind mobile. I have the SM-G900W8. I tried towelroot, but it didn't work, so I will probably have to wait until the developer makes a new version.
    I can try to remember to look later.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

Phone Timeline

Global Posts
    23,144 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Sorry...forgot about this thread.

Check this out: GalaxyS5Root.com - Learn How to Root Galaxy S5 and Install Custom ROMs!

He makes nice videos giving you a sneak peek into a ROM if you want to flash it or not.

Phone Timeline
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks. I ended up downgrading my firmware and using Towelroot. I decided to not install a custom ROM and used Xposed.