Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Contacts, Photos, ect after Custom Rom?

Hi there,

I am planning on trying out my first custom rom. I've read around Tutorials and instructions, and got the process down to that:
    1. Holo Backup before rooting
    2. Root via Towelroot (SG5, SM-G900F, 4.4.2)
    3. Install CWM
    4. nandroid backup via CWM
    5. Install custom Rom (probably Alliance)

I guess (correct me if I'm wrong) these are all the steps I need.

Now I have 2 questions I haven't found an answer to:
    1. During the installation of the custom rom, my phone is wiped. So how do I get back my backed-up Data, contacts, etc. once I've installed the ROM? Doesn't a nandroid restore also remove the custom Rom again (which isn't my goal).
    2. After nandroid backup, can (and how) I save the backup to my pc before installing the custom ROM?

I hope someone can answer this beginner questions.

Thanks in advance and regards,
    m

Default Re: Contacts, Photos, ect after Custom Rom?

Data restoration should be the same as factory reset. Syncing with cloud storage or importing files (eg vcf for contacts(at least I think it's what it's called)) the nandroid backup (at least with twrp it is) is saved as a file in local storage. You can offload this to a pc or given the S5 has expandable memory you should probably leave it on micro SD given they have a lot more unused storage space rather than the 8 or so left in internal.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you for your reply, but I have to mention, that I'm quite new to all this stuff.
    So I haven't understood any of what you wrote... sorry, no offense intended

OK let me try and slow things down. Since you're on android you must have a Google account. (gmail) your contacts should be synced with that. Simply connecting the Google account will pull in those contacts. I haven't used touchwiz in a while but there should be an option to export a vcf file (that'll store any in phone or on SIM contacts) you can then search Google contacts on the Web and import them that way.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ok that makes sense, thanks.
    How about other things, like photos/videos?
    Transfer to pc first and then afterwards on the device again? Or is there a way to extract all those things from the backup file?

That depends on the volume of files you have. All mine are backed up to Google plus simply because it was on and has its uses. But moving the files off the phone is the way to keep things safe if they have to be on local storage.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Ok, thanks for your help. Went on and backed up everything and just did it, previously backing up everything on the sd-card.
    After flashing and signing into google, everything was automatically transferred, except the phone contacts. But I had those on the SIM card as well, so it turned out fine.

Thanks again.
    This can be closed.