Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default S5 ATT - Use on 3 Mobile with Wifi Hotsport Tethering

Hi All,

Excuse me if this has been asked elsewhere - I have looked but do not fully understand.

I have an S5 (AT&T) SM-G900A

I am in England and want to use it on 3 mobile.

I put sim card in everything works apart from Wifi Hotspot Tethering - says I have invalid Sim - presume this is because it is not an AT&T one.

Have read about 'rooting' and FoxFi - tried FoxFi - everything looked ok and seemed to switch on Wifi Hotsport Tethering but still the invalid Sim message popped up and wouldn't work.

Q

Is there anyway that I can get rid of all the AT&T package / operating system and replace it with 3 Mobile one - effectively turning the deivce into a
    SM-G900F with all the 3 Mobile stuff on it.

Do I need to 'root' it and then 'flash' it - I kind of understand these terms but never done it - I'm thinking that I root it to enable me to get to the bare-bones of the phone and then flash it with a new 3 mobile front end

Or do I just root it and then 'bypass' / enable the wifi tethering somewhere - if this is the case where do I do this - I have read plenty of posts about rooting but nothing that explains what to do after that in order to switch on wifi hotspot tethering.

Please help

Cheers

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Default Re: S5 ATT - Use on 3 Mobile with Wifi Hotsport Tethering

I'm going through the exact same thing with an ATT Samsung 3 that I want to use in Italy with a TIM SIM. Did you ever figure out a solution to this? I'm suspicious that it's ATT software that we have to get rid of. Darn.

Global Posts
    12,182 Global Posts
    ROM
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

Default Re: S5 ATT - Use on 3 Mobile with Wifi Hotsport Tethering

The "invalid SIM" is a SIM on an account that doesn't allow tethering. Pay for a tethering account and it should go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hindle View Post
    Is there anyway that I can get rid of all the AT&T package / operating system
    No, the bootloader is locked, so whatever you put in has to be signed. And being allowed to keep the Crown Jewels in your home is a lot easier than getting the signing code.

Do I need to 'root' it and then 'flash' it
    No, you can flash a ROM with Odin without rooting - but it has to be a Samsung ROM for that model phone. (People make modifications - different bloat removed, different apps, different keyboards - but the basic ROM has to be the stock. [I've put an N-9000 ROM into my N900A, but it was modified (not by me, by someone on XDA) to run on the N-900A.])

I kind of understand these terms but never done it - I'm thinking that I root it to enable me to get to the bare-bones of the phone and then flash it with a new 3 mobile front end
    With anything but a Samsung ending in A or V( Verizon) since 4.4.2.

Or do I just root it and then 'bypass' / enable the wifi tethering somewhere - if this is the case where do I do this - I have read plenty of posts about rooting but nothing that explains what to do after that in order to switch on wifi hotspot tethering.
    1) I don't think there's a root for the A or V S5 on 4.4.4 or 5 yet that doesn't break Knox.

2) If the carrier is blocking tethering, you can't tether - with any phone and/or any app. You have to pay for a tethering account.