Is this an authentic Samsung Galaxy S5?

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is this an authentic SGs5?

Looking to buy this phone but I'm a bit skeptical, there has been plenty of people reporting fakes and replicas. Don't wanna drop 350 for it and find out it's a replica. This is the ad. (BRAND NEW IN BOX SAMSUNG GALAXY S5 METALLIC BLUE ATT) Thanks for the help guys.

It's kinda impossible to tell from the ad if its a fake or not. Ask the seller to send you some screen prints of the phone powered on, get him to send you shots of the software info so you can make sure its running the correct firmware etc. Also get him to send you a screen shot of the camera functions. I have seen on a lot of fake Galaxy phones that they can't replicate the Samsung camera functions, such as burst short or animated GIF's etc

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I'd stay away from this.... First, it's near impossible these days to pick out a fake just by looking at the box it came in or just a straight on picture like this... fakes are getting quite clever. It certainly LOOKS like an S5 in an S5 box.

But a NIB for 2/3rds new? Sounds awfully sketchy. If it's an authentic S5, it might be junk/DOA.... or any number of other issues.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

I'd stay away from this.... First, it's near impossible these days to pick out a fake just by looking at the box it came in or just a straight on picture like this... fakes are getting quite clever. It certainly LOOKS like an S5 in an S5 box.

But a NIB for 2/3rds new? Sounds awfully sketchy. If it's an authentic S5, it might be junk/DOA.... or any number of other issues.

Yeah you really never can tell with these things. Here in the UK we use a site called Gumtree and its more or less the same. More so for Iphones - they sell or swap stolen or blocked ones. I have swapped phones a few times and I always make sure I meet the person face to face so I can try out the phone first hand

JoeR32

May 5, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the input fellas, I'm not gonna go through with it. He seems a bit sketchy when I ask for additional pictures.

Carl Schnepple

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site

The ad you link to says that this is a metallic blue phone. To the best of my knowledge AT&T only offers the Samsung S5 in white, black and gold. There is no blue version at least from what I was looking at earlier today at an AT&T store.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

How can one possibly tell if it's fake just by that picture?
You can't, which is really the heart of the problem. A S5 will never look like a fake, but a fake can look exactly like a S5.

But I'd be more concerned that's it's either stolen or broken...

Resendetra

May 21, 2013
Visit site

The ad you link to says that this is a metallic blue phone. To the best of my knowledge AT&T only offers the Samsung S5 in white, black and gold. There is no blue version at least from what I was looking at earlier today at an AT&T store.
Best Buy came out with an exclusive electric blue S5 a few days ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool