Not sure if I'm rooted or not/Is it possible for my Galaxy S5 to unroot by itself?

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Ok so I rooted my Samsung GS5 4.4.2 (AT&T) with towel root. Everything worked great. So after a month or two, apps that needed root support stopped working and root checker said I wasn't rooted plus a seemingly massive power drain all without me doing anything related to the unroot process... Not only that, the Samsung updater thing will not let me update to Kitkat 4.4.4 or Lollipop 5.0.

Any ideas? Am I half rooted or something? I don't mind unrooting my device, I'd like to avoid a factory reset but if it is the only way I understand.

I cannot re-root w/ towel root because the kernel date changed from June 2, 2014 to July 22, 2014.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Rooting does stop the update process, so that isn't so unusual. The strange thing is, the sudden failure of root apps working. As for unrooting, you may have to reflash the stock ROM. I don't think a factory reset will work in this case. I found a thread on XDA on what to do, but since some of your root privileges have been revoked, I am not sure if this will work: [Q] How to remove Root/Towelroot? | AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 5 | XDA Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12