How to root samsung s5 g900a at&t ?

jfb2003

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have an SM-G900A with a build date of July 22, 2014.(G900AUCUNG3) Geohot's Towelroot won't work on it. I keep looking for information on rooting this phone, but they all go back to Towelroot

I have been searching high and low and have not found the info that I need.

I have tried towelroot and it says "This phone is not currently supported." I tried typing in the 3 different codes after tapping the welcome to towelroot v3 logo 3 times and that didn't work

What can I do to get this phone rooted?

THANKS!!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I have an SM-G900A with a build date of July 22, 2014.(G900AUCUNG3) Geohot's Towelroot won't work on it. I keep looking for information on rooting this phone, but they all go back to Towelroot

I have been searching high and low and have not found the info that I need.

I have tried towelroot and it says "This phone is not currently supported." I tried typing in the 3 different codes after tapping the welcome to towelroot v3 logo 3 times and that didn't work

What can I do to get this phone rooted?

THANKS!!

Try Safesterap....

[How-To] Root G900AUCU2ANG3

NewToRootin

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
APOLOGIES AHEAD OF TIME IF I USE INCORRECT TERMS (if my phrasing confuses you, please ask and I will try to clarify) AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE AND PATIENCE!! :)

Good Day.

As my name suggests, I am new to rooting, flashing, etc. I have a G900A and, with AT&T getting rid of phone subsidization, I plan to keep it for years to come. I have read many threads on this site and across the interwebs and appreciate the great info you all have shared already! I believe my phone is a candidate for rooting but, if this is not possible, please set me straight.

My primary goals through rooting are to remove/disable bloatware and to increase performance (i.e. get rid of the lag I have when typing, scrolling, loading an app, etc). I am open to running any OS/ROM that will work on my phone (and would appreciate recommendations for ones with good performance as well as any apps). I believe I need to root my phone to do this but is there another way that I haven't come across yet?

My G900A:
AP: G900AUCU2ANG3
CP: G900AUCU2ANG3
CSC: G900AATT2ANG3
Android Version: 4.4.2 (I believe that upgraded to this over the air, not through Kies. I bought the phone in April of 2014).
Bootloader: G900AUCU2ANG3
Kernel Version: 3.4.0-2178781 (G900AUCU2ANG3)
Kernel Date: Jul 22, 2014
Root Access: No
Processor: Qualcomm MSM 8974 (not sure if this matters)

(1) Is there a lower-risk way to root my phone? I believe the linked video below, which includes the steps that need to be taken with ODIN (to flash to an older kernel or something?) so that I can use Towelroot, is a solution but I'm not sure if this is what I am looking for (I can't yet post links so you'll have to search for this - sorry!).

***YouTube video posted by "MrW0lf" titled: "How to Root Galaxy S5, S4, Note 3 on [NF+] Android 4.4.2 (TowelRoot)"***

Also, in post #6 of this linked forum thread, a user states there is a way to root the firmware version I have - any idea if this will work (I can't yet post links so you'll have to search for this - sorry!)?

***AndroidCentral thread titled "Accidentally updated my rooted AT&T SM-G900A S5. What do I do?".***

Worst case, as I am pre-Lollipop, can my phone's firmware be downgraded to a point that will allow me to use Towelroot?

(2) Is there a step-by-step guide you can recommend?

(3) If I root, what is the most recent OS I can upgrade to (Lollipop, Kit Kat, etc)? Will I be able to upgrade to future versions of Android and how? Are these moot questions depending on the recommendation I follow from #1?

(4) Do I need to freeze OTA updates or do anything to protect my phone from getting bricked by AT&T's/Samsung's automatic update actions?

(5) Can I run AOSP firmware or only stock firmware?

(6) Any other advice / questions I should be aware of? Any limitations that I will impose on myself by rooting now?

(7) Can I even root my phone or has venturing down this rabbit hole just been a futile exercise?

AGAIN, THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP AND PATIENCE!! (I tried to post this earlier with links and the forum errored out and I lost my post... had to rewrite from scratch. I may have to follow up with more questions that were inadvertently left off this post).

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hello and welcome to Android Central NewToRootin!

Lets see if we can answer your questions and ask a few of our own.

APOLOGIES AHEAD OF TIME IF I USE INCORRECT TERMS (if my phrasing confuses you, please ask and I will try to clarify) AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE AND PATIENCE!! :)

Good Day.

As my name suggests, I am new to rooting, flashing, etc. I have a G900A and, with AT&T getting rid of phone subsidization, I plan to keep it for years to come. I have read many threads on this site and across the interwebs and appreciate the great info you all have shared already! I believe my phone is a candidate for rooting but, if this is not possible, please set me straight.

My primary goals through rooting are to remove/disable bloatware and to increase performance (i.e. get rid of the lag I have when typing, scrolling, loading an app, etc). I am open to running any OS/ROM that will work on my phone (and would appreciate recommendations for ones with good performance as well as any apps). I believe I need to root my phone to do this but is there another way that I haven't come across yet?

My G900A:
AP: G900AUCU2ANG3
CP: G900AUCU2ANG3
CSC: G900AATT2ANG3
Android Version: 4.4.2 (I believe that upgraded to this over the air, not through Kies. I bought the phone in April of 2014).
Bootloader: G900AUCU2ANG3
Kernel Version: 3.4.0-2178781 (G900AUCU2ANG3)
Kernel Date: Jul 22, 2014
Root Access: No
Processor: Qualcomm MSM 8974 (not sure if this matters)

So, you have the carrier minority variant, G900A, for AT&T, that is still on Android 4.4.2 firmware, NG3. See #1.6 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

The firmware breakdown above, is very precise but how did you retrieve this information from your phone or did you copy and paste it from another source?

How have you managed, thus far, to escape the numerous AT&T updates for Android 4.4.4, Android 5.0 and Android 5.1.1? Normally, there are only two methods of avoiding AT&T's forced updates. 1) By rooting your phone. 2) Not being registered on the AT&T network.

Have you owned this phone from new, out-of-the-box?

(1) Is there a lower-risk way to root my phone? I believe the linked video below, which includes the steps that need to be taken with ODIN (to flash to an older kernel or something?) so that I can use Towelroot, is a solution but I'm not sure if this is what I am looking for (I can't yet post links so you'll have to search for this - sorry!).

***YouTube video posted by "MrW0lf" titled: "How to Root Galaxy S5, S4, Note 3 on [NF+] Android 4.4.2 (TowelRoot)"***

Also, in post #6 of this linked forum thread, a user states there is a way to root the firmware version I have - any idea if this will work (I can't yet post links so you'll have to search for this - sorry!)?

***AndroidCentral thread titled "Accidentally updated my rooted AT&T SM-G900A S5. What do I do?".***

Worst case, as I am pre-Lollipop, can my phone's firmware be downgraded to a point that will allow me to use Towelroot?

All rooting carries a degree of risk and I am often asked this question, to which I answer that it depends on how good you are at reading, researching and following instructions!

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure!" ;)

Unfortunately, both the AT&T and Verizon models are the most difficult and dangerous to root because, quite simply, those two carriers do not want you to. Unlike the stock Samsung models that do not have locked bootloaders and can be rooted in about 30 seconds, your model is now only rootable on Android 4.4.2 and then only by downgrading your kernel back to ND3, temporarily, to use TowelRoot. The step-by-step process for doing this is described in this tutorial... [How-To] Root G900AUCU2ANG3

Prior to embarking on this you should make 2 or 3 different backups of your phone as described in Backup! Backup! Backup! NOW!

(2) Is there a step-by-step guide you can recommend?

See, above.

(3) If I root, what is the most recent OS I can upgrade to (Lollipop, Kit Kat, etc)? Will I be able to upgrade to future versions of Android and how? Are these moot questions depending on the recommendation I follow from #1?

The only way to update a rooted G900A and keep root, is by flashing custom AT&T firmware that retains your original bootloader as you will not be able to update OTA via AT&T once you are rooted. See this step-by-step guide... [How-To] Update to G900A_OI5 - 5.1 (Unrooted Stock ROM)

(4) Do I need to freeze OTA updates or do anything to protect my phone from getting bricked by AT&T's/Samsung's automatic update actions?

Once rooted you will no longer receive OTA updates.

(5) Can I run AOSP firmware or only stock firmware?

Because of the locked bootloader, AOSP ROMs are not an option and you will only be able to use TouchWiz based ROMs.

(6) Any other advice / questions I should be aware of? Any limitations that I will impose on myself by rooting now?

Things you will need to do are... read, read, read and backup, backup, backup.

Once you have successfully rooted your future firmware updates are in your hands. By staying on Android 4.4.2 you are missing not only Lollipop but also all the bug fixes and, more importantly, all the security updates that have been included in the latest releases for exploits such as Stagefright. You will have to wait until a developer brings out a custom AT&T ROM for rooted users, each time there is an AT&T update.There is also the possibility that in future, AT&T may bring out firmware that prevents rooted users from updating as they are totally against it.

(7) Can I even root my phone or has venturing down this rabbit hole just been a futile exercise?

Yes, you can root your phone by carefully and thoroughly reading the above links before embarking on rooting.

Grab a coffee or something stronger, and start reading.

NewToRootin

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the prompt reply ironass! I've seen many of your posts and had reviewed your Dummies guide (which helped me select which info from my phone to post and helped me, with very limited know-how in this realm, achieve some general understanding). I'll try to reply inline below but will have to delete links as I can't yet post them.

Hello and welcome to Android Central NewToRootin!

Lets see if we can answer your questions and ask a few of our own.

So, you have the carrier minority variant, G900A, for AT&T, that is still on Android 4.4.2 firmware, NG3. See #1.6 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

The firmware breakdown above, is very precise but how did you retrieve this information from your phone or did you copy and paste it from another source?

I acquired this information (1) by using the *#1234# code, and (2) looking at SETTINGS --> ABOUT DEVICE --> and then listing what my phone says.

How have you managed, thus far, to escape the numerous AT&T updates for Android 4.4.4, Android 5.0 and Android 5.1.1? Normally, there are only two methods of avoiding AT&T's forced updates. 1) By rooting your phone. 2) Not being registered on the AT&T network.

Have you owned this phone from new, out-of-the-box?

I bought this straight from AT&T in April 2014 when the G900A launched. Early on considered rooting but dragged my feet since I couldn't figure it out from reading online and didn't want to potentially brick my new phone. Over the past two years, I avoided most updates (other than the initial one or two that brought me up to Kit Kat and updated my Kernel) and I have continued to avoid by clicking "Remind me later" when prompted to update.

All rooting carries a degree of risk and I am often asked this question, to which I answer that it depends on how good you are at reading, researching and following instructions!

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure!" ;)

Unfortunately, both the AT&T and Verizon models are the most difficult and dangerous to root because, quite simply, those two carriers do not want you to. Unlike the stock Samsung models that do not have locked bootloaders and can be rooted in about 30 seconds, your model is now only rootable on Android 4.4.2 and then only by downgrading your kernel back to ND3, temporarily, to use TowelRoot. The step-by-step process for doing this is described in this tutorial... [How-To] Root G900AUCU2ANG3

Prior to embarking on this you should make 2 or 3 different backups of your phone as described in Backup! Backup! Backup! NOW!

Just to confirm, my current phone has a bootloader even though it is 4.4.2? Did this phone ship with a bootloader in April of 2014? Just trying to understand if there is something I could have avoided doing in the past that would have made this process easier today.

The only way to update a rooted G900A and keep root, is by flashing custom AT&T firmware that retains your original bootloader as you will not be able to update OTA via AT&T once you are rooted. See this step-by-step guide... [How-To] Update to G900A_OI5 - 5.1 (Unrooted Stock ROM)

If I upgrade to a custom AT&T firmware, and I have to stick with 4.4.2, do you know if there are custom AT&T firmwares that are updated to patch holes in the firmware's security? I guess I'm wondering if there is a 4.4.2 custom firmware that has the patches and security updates that a 5.0 or 5.1 firmware variant would.

Because of the locked bootloader, AOSP ROMs are not an option and you will only be able to use TouchWiz based ROMs.

Thank you. Since the April 2014 launch, have all G900A phones been restricted to only TouchWiz based ROMs? Do you have any recommendations for good ROMs in which I can freeze/delete bloatware (can this be done with 4.4.2 firmware)? Does being stuck with TouchWiz mean I am stuck with a slow and laggy phone? My understanding is one reason for all the lag when swiping, typing, etc is due to TouchWiz itself... Also, am I required to use Safestrap?

Once you have successfully rooted your future firmware updates are in your hands. By staying on Android 4.4.2 you are missing not only Lollipop but also all the bug fixes and, more importantly, all the security updates that have been included in the latest releases for exploits such as Stagefright. You will have to wait until a developer brings out a custom AT&T ROM for rooted users, each time there is an AT&T update.

I will certainly search on my own time but do you know if there are AT&T ROMs available for 4.4.2 that have been updated to fix bugs and increase security?

There is also the possibility that in future, AT&T may bring out firmware that prevents rooted users from updating as they are totally against it.

Is there the possibility that AT&T will be able to push an update to my phone automatically that updates my firmware/Kernel and breaks my phone?

Yes, you can root your phone by carefully and thoroughly reading the above links before embarking on rooting.

Thank you!! In your opinion, can I achieve my primary goals of removing/disabling bloatware and increasing performance despite rooting a 4.4.2 phone and having to run a Touchwiz-based custom ROM? Am I required to use Safestrap?

Grab a coffee or something stronger, and start reading.
Will do! Your insight and lots of good forum posts will get me where I need to be I am sure.

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the prompt reply ironass! I've seen many of your posts and had reviewed your Dummies guide (which helped me select which info from my phone to post and helped me achieve some general understanding). I'll try to reply inline below but will have to delete links as I can't yet post them.

I acquired this information (1) by using the *#1234# code, and (2) looking at SETTINGS --> ABOUT DEVICE --> and then listing what my phone says.

Strange! The *#1234# dial pad code does not usually work on the AT&T model as I thought AT&T had disabled that feature... hence the Phone Info Samsung app

I bought this straight from AT&T in April 2014 when the G900A launched. Early on considered rooting but dragged my feet since I couldn't figure it out from reading online and didn't want to potentially brick my new phone. Over the past two years, I avoided most updates (other than the initial one or two that brought me up to Kit Kat and updated my Kernel) and I have continued to avoid by clicking "Remind me later" when prompted to update.

Just to confirm, my current phone has a bootloader even though it is 4.4.2? Did this phone ship with a bootloader in April of 2014? Just trying to understand if there is something I could have avoided doing in the past that would have made this process easier today.

Install the previously mentioned Phone Info and check the details of your current bootloader under, "Firmware". Bootloaders are on all phones... to load the firmware.

If I upgrade to a custom AT&T firmware, and I have to stick with 4.4.2, do you know if there are custom AT&T firmwares that are updated to patch holes in the firmware's security? I guess I'm wondering if there is a 4.4.2 custom firmware that has the patches and security updates that a 5.0 or 5.1 firmware variant would.

Not that I am aware of as these patches are baked into the firmware.

Thank you. Since the April 2014 launch, have all G900A phones been restricted to only TouchWiz based ROMs? Do you have any recommendations for good ROMs in which I can freeze/delete bloatware (can this be done with 4.4.2 firmware)? Does being stuck with TouchWiz mean I am stuck with a slow and laggy phone? My understanding is one reason for all the lag when swiping, typing, etc is due to TouchWiz itself...

AFAIK, yes, this has been the case. Does aosp/aokp roms work on the ATT s5? Try searching for a, "de-bloated", custom AT&T ROM on the web such as the one mentioned at the end of this post.

I will certainly search on my own time but do you know if there are AT&T ROMs available for 4.4.2 that have been updated to fix bugs and increase security?

See, above.

Is there the possibility that AT&T will be able to push an update to my phone automatically that updates my firmware/Kernel and breaks my phone?

There is always that possibility with AT&T.

Thank you!! In your opinion, can I achieve my primary goals of removing/disabling bloatware and increasing performance despite rooting a 4.4.2 phone and having to run a Touchwiz-based custom ROM?

Most of the AT&T bloatware is baked into their, "cloneware", releases and reside in the system partition. Therefore, whilst you could disable them, it will not increase your phone storage unless you find a custom ROM that repartitions the system. Have a look at the [ROM][ViSiX][v4.0][SAFESTRAP][SM-G900A][NG3][Jan.03.2015] which is an old, de-bloated Android 4.4.2 ROM for the G900A.

Hopefully, I have now pointed you in the right direction for whatever you decide.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome