Root for SM-G900V on 6.0.1

Prec1sion

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
So I am totally new to the whole rooting thing. I keep seeing all these other galaxy s5's being rooted without a problem. I really can't afford to brick this thing so I am wondering if anyone has found a working root for:

Model - G900V

Android Version - 6.0.1

Android security patch level - June 1,2016

Kernal Version - 3.4.0

Build Number - MMB29M.G900VVRU2DPF4

Configuration Version - J13.SAM.SMG900V.1

KNOX Version - KNOX 2.6

I don't really know how much of that is needed but I figure better safe than sorry. Can anyone help?

puttygutt

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Hello -

I have the same specification on my Galaxy S5 and have not been able to find a compatible root. I even paid a service to assist and they did not have a solution (tried two different options). From their perspective, I will need to downgrade the build on my existing phone before it can be rooted. I'll continue to research and let you know what I find.

PG

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Sannyz, have you tried that method? I just don't want to brick my phone.

Don't bother, it doesn't work. AFAIK, the last root method was for Lollipop, see, NEW Verizon S5 Root for latest firmwares OE1, OG5, OK3, PB1. As predicted in that...

I suggest that Verizon owners root while they can as, knowing Verizon, they will probably close the exploit off in their Marshmallow firmware update.

Unfortunately, Verizon do not allow you to downgrade from Marshmallow to Lollipop.

Allison Park

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
Yeah.. I've got the same specs for my phone as well. It's unfortunate we're all boned on rooting these.. and I just replaced me broken s5 with this new cheap one off of Ebay too! Damn..

hauckk

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
It is possible to be rooted on marshmallow just install root on lollipop then bootloader unlock then install a custom recovery then flash a mm custom rom that is prerooted cm13 is popular or if you want stock rooted mm then look for a close to stock rooted mm rom and flash it in a custom recovery

anon(13117)

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
The SM-G900V is rootable on 6.0.1 PD4 --- but what rooted version you can run currently depends on your phone's eMMC type. If it has Samsung eMMC (15xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) you can unlock the bootloader and downgrade to Lollipop, root and upgrade back to rooted Marshmallow 6.0.1 PD4.

Phones with Toshiba eMMC's (11xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx), the bootloader unlock method hasn't yet been discovered and the only option right now is to downgrade back to a rooted version of Lollipop ver. 5.0 PB1, so it comes down to a choice between having rooted Lollipop or unrooted Marshmallow.

There's a free app on the Play store called eMMC Brickbug Check that will identify whether your phone has CID type 15 or type 11 eMMC. It doesn't require root to identify which CID type your eMMC is.

If you choose to root, instructions are on this link: Working Root Method For 5.0 Lollipop Roms [O… | Verizon Samsung Galaxy S 5.
I'll warn ahead of time, I'd been out of the root scene for a few years and the instructions were a bit frustrating but I got through it on mine today, although I have an 11 eMMC so it was just a downgrade from Marshmallow PD4 to rooted Lollipop PB1. To hopefully save some headaches, in the linked instructions from the big red letters that say 'follow directions' you want to scroll down to the 'CLICK TO SHOW CONTENT' button below the title Prepare your phone for root and once those steps are completed, scroll back up to the follow directions and proceed with Steps 1 through 9 below that.

CptnObvious

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
...although I have an 11 eMMC so it was just a downgrade from Marshmallow PD4 to rooted Lollipop PB1.

Am I correct in understanding that this still leaves the bootloader locked? I guess if your sole aim is ROOT then this is fine, but what options are left (if any) for flashing another ROM?
For now I'm good with Marshmallow and no ROOT, but with the S5 approaching the end of the road for software updates the option of a more current Android ROM would be more than welcome.

wer8

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
The SM-G900V is rootable on 6.0.1 PD4 --- but what rooted version you can run currently depends on your phone's eMMC type. If it has Samsung eMMC (15xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) you can unlock the bootloader and downgrade to Lollipop, root and upgrade back to rooted Marshmallow 6.0.1 PD4.

Phones with Toshiba eMMC's (11xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx), the bootloader unlock method hasn't yet been discovered and the only option right now is to downgrade back to a rooted version of Lollipop ver. 5.0 PB1, so it comes down to a choice between having rooted Lollipop or unrooted Marshmallow.

There's a free app on the Play store called eMMC Brickbug Check that will identify whether your phone has CID type 15 or type 11 eMMC. It doesn't require root to identify which CID type your eMMC is.

If you choose to root, instructions are on this link: Working Root Method For 5.0 Lollipop Roms [O… | Verizon Samsung Galaxy S 5.
I'll warn ahead of time, I'd been out of the root scene for a few years and the instructions were a bit frustrating but I got through it on mine today, although I have an 11 eMMC so it was just a downgrade from Marshmallow PD4 to rooted Lollipop PB1. To hopefully save some headaches, in the linked instructions from the big red letters that say 'follow directions' you want to scroll down to the 'CLICK TO SHOW CONTENT' button below the title Prepare your phone for root and once those steps are completed, scroll back up to the follow directions and proceed with Steps 1 through 9 below that.

I did this and it worked well, but can I continue and do steps 10, 11, 12?