Why don't my Software Updates work?

Fentyz

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I am new.

My problem is: I rooted my phone (because I HAD to get rid of Samsung's annoying Emojis, (in order to use Emoji Switcher I had to root my phone))

Then my software updates wouldn't work due to my phone being rooted.

I then tried to remove the root & do a factory data reset but my status is still 'CUSTOM' now I can't do anything because I lost my root.

I really need help guys..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How exactly will it be moved there? I hope people will still try to help lol, thanks

When we move a thread, it appears in the more appropriate subforum that we think will give you more chance of a good answer. And, as I hoped and expected, ironass has swooped in to save the day!;)

Fentyz

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
btw, I tried to fix it by doing the stock recovery method but my biggest problem now is: I can't get into my phone's download mode anymore.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
SM-G900F, I am not sure about what method it was, I just did the usual stuff, download a file flash it with Odin and that was it.
Right now, I am on Android 6.0.1.

btw, I tried to fix it by doing the stock recovery method but my biggest problem now is: I can't get into my phone's download mode anymore.

The correct way to unroot the international model is to use the unroot method in SuperSU settings and then to download and flash the stock Samsung firmware for your model of phone, G900F, and CSC and Product codes as per #1.11 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide. This reverts your recovery from custom to stock as well as completing the unroot process. It would appear that you may be still rooted, (use Root Checker from the Play Store to check), or that you have flashed an incompatible stock recovery to your phone. This would explain your inability to enter Download Mode, see video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-uUxe9TFtQ

Without access to Download Mode you will be unable to flash the stock Samsung firmware for your model of phone, CSC and Product Codes, that will allow you to receive updates via OTA or Smart Switch.

Last edited:

Fentyz

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
The correct way to unroot the international model is to use the unroot method in SuperSU settings and then to download and flash the stock Samsung firmware for your model of phone, G900F, and CSC and Product codes as per #1.11 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide. This reverts your recovery from custom to stock as well as completing the unroot process. It would appear that you may be still rooted, (use Root Checker from the Play Store to check), or that you have flashed an incompatible stock recovery to your phone. This would explain your inability to enter Download Mode, see video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-uUxe9TFtQ

Without access to Download Mode you will be unable to flash the stock Samsung firmware for your model of phone, CSC and Product Codes, that will allow you to receive updates via OTA or Smart Switch.

Ok I finally managed to get into the Download Mode. I flashed the restock recovery but it still says 'Custom', what do I do now?

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Long shot: Take out the battery. Hold the Power button in for 5 seconds. Replace the battery and quickly hold the Volume Down+Power buttons to see if it will boot to Download mode. This may only work the once so I suggest that if your phone is currently working, that you get your firmware details and Product Code as per #1.8 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide so that you can download and flash the stock Samsung firmware as described in my previous post.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Ok I finally managed to get into the Download Mode. I flashed the restock recovery but it still says 'Custom', what do I do now?

It appears that our last 2 posts crossed.

Did you flash the complete stock Samsung firmware for your model of phone, CSC and Product Code as described in post #12 as you keep saying that you have flashed a stock recovery.

Fentyz

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
It appears that our last 2 posts crossed.

Did you flash the complete stock Samsung firmware for your model of phone, CSC and Product Code as described in post #12 as you keep saying that you have flashed a stock recovery.

When my phone was rooted I used Supersu to unroot it (after that I did the factory data reset to make sure everything will work again) but as we know, it didn't.
So my phone is actually not rooted, I guess I just need to find the proper file to use to flash my firmware.
I used the file from this website:

(Stock recovery) galaxy s5 SM-G900f stock re… | Samsung Galaxy S 5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20