Rooting help needed

Ticfan

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Phone details -
AP G900HXXS1CQC2
CP G900HU1CPCA
CSC G900HOJP1CQB1

I'm having difficulty rooting an S5 (SM-G900H) although my annoyance at my lack of success is partially mitigated by the phone's apparent resistance to my attempts to brick the thing!

My usual method (Kingoroot) was ineffective.

I tried using CF Auto-root via Odin. On restarting the phone it showed a message - "Recovery is not Seandroid Enforcing" and would go no further.

10 mins later, as I frantically scoured the net for a fix and tried to work out how to tell my wife that I'd bricked her phone, the phone carried on with a normal boot and appeared unaffected.

Turns out I'd used the AutoRoot file for Lollipop and the phone was actually running Marshmallow (6.0.1). There are rooting files available for some (most?) S5 versions running MM but not the 900H

Further research turned up a method using Odin to flash a Custom Recovery (TWRP seemed a good bet) followed by flashing SuperSU from Recovery.

The initial flash appeared to go well but the phone rebooted as normal with no Custom Recovery installed.

I tried disabling the Autoreboot option in Odin, leaving the phone in Download Mode after flashing. I then pulled the battery to shut down and tried to boot into Recovery Mode. I got the "Seandroid" message and the phone was stuck there.

I pulled the battery again, booted into 'Normal' mode - worked fine. On trying Recovery mode, the stock recovery appeared.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Apparently CF-Auto-Root hasn't been updated yet for the S5 running Marshmallow (6.01):
https://autoroot.chainfire.eu/
There's a thread on XDA-Developers on this same 'rooting S5 running Marshmallow' issue (see posting starting with #5 for the details) that you should try instead:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s5/help/to-root-s5-g900h-marshmallow-firmware-t3385936

Also, which version of Odin are you using? Try using the recommended version for Marshmallow as listed here:
Download Odin (All Versions) for Samsung Galaxy Devices

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty