Galaxy S5: 2560x1440 screen--will you be able to tell the difference?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: 2560x1440 screen--will you be able to tell the difference?

It's almost pointless to argue it, though, since the bigger issue will be battery life. Unless Samsung has worked some magic it'll take more energy to sustain the same performance with a higher resolution display. Their chips are made on the same process node as before, so they aren't more efficient. At least not enough to make up the difference.

It's make the chip more efficient, substantially increase the battery size, or accept a performance hit.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I wonder about the cost in terms of power consumption and wear/tear on the screen, gpu, etc as a trade-off... especially given the degree of advantage being presumably very small.

It's almost pointless to argue it, though, since the bigger issue will be battery life. Unless Samsung has worked some magic it'll take more energy to sustain the same performance with a higher resolution display. Their chips are made on the same process node as before, so they aren't more efficient. At least not enough to make up the difference.

It's make the chip more efficient, substantially increase the battery size, or accept a performance hit.

That's what I meant to say... your way came out making sense. Well done!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

The new smartphones shouldn't get more sharp screens but much better batterys. I don't want to use an ultra slim and sharp phone with the newest soc and the fastest gpu if the battery sucks and I couldn't work a full day or longer with the device. I really would like to see a Galaxy S5 with great battery life....

Sent from my GT-P5210 using AC Forums mobile app

Excellent point. The downside to making phones thinner is the battery life tend to suffer.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Excellent point. The downside to making phones thinner is the battery life tend to suffer.

It's been over a year now since I read about batteries the size of skittles that could potentially last for weeks. I have no idea how long new things take to bring to the consumer market, but this is one change that I am drooling over. I'll have to look for where I saved the journal, but essentially it was a perforated structured substance that was folded many times and had a different way of storing energy.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

It's been over a year now since I read about batteries the size of skittles that could potentially last for weeks. I have no idea how long new things take to bring to the consumer market, but this is one change that I am drooling over. I'll have to look for where I saved the journal, but essentially it was a perforated structured substance that was folded many times and had a different way of storing energy.

Just make them wider and taller.

Very true. Battery technology is constantly changing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Very true. Battery technology is constantly changing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

New battery tech is emerging all the time, but what we actually use hasn't changed all that much. The "stepped" battery is the most innovation we've had in consumer products in a while.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Not fast enough to keep up with the demands of hand held computers/mobile phones.

I'm guessing that's because the advances in technology aren't being implemented into smartphones yet. Mostly because the types of batteries are a lot more expensive and/or more stable than the Li-Ion batteries we use today

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I'm guessing that's because the advances in technology aren't being implemented into smartphones yet. Mostly because the types of batteries are a lot more expensive and/or more stable than the Li-Ion batteries we use today

Posted via Android Central App

Another thing to consider is that higher end battery cost will eventually go into the device. Suddenly that makes say the Note 3 go from $650 is to $800 or even $900.

But we are all digressing from the original point:

Maybe a different kind of screen would be better than cramming as many pixels in as possible.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site

The Moto X 720 was to help keep the price a little lower. Sooner or later we are going to have some type of critical mass here. At what point will the human eye no longer distinguish the difference?

Once we hit the 2k displays on sub6 inch handsets you won't be able to notice a difference. Once more content is made available in 4k then you'd notice the difference in movies and videos on a 4k display, but until then 2k displays would be more than enough.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

peteypab2133

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

I'm inclined to agree that 1080 is about as good as it should get. Anything more will be a strain on a 5 inch screen

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Get ready. The 4k displays on smart phones are about 2 years out... sony is pushing 4k hard and others are jumping on. Im getting a 4k sony cam in march. Till you see something in 4k vs 1080p you cant understand the difference in quality

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Hopefully battery tech will keep up with screen tech. I'd guess that 4K screens would suck battery like a vampire.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Heck, I think the screen on the S4 is good. I just wish I could sport it at 100% brightness and not worry about crappy battery life. Make a device where we can use all the features as they are meant to be and not cripple the thing in order to get through a day with the battery.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

The current screen is just fine, ditch the home button, use that .24" space for virtual keys and move on to a new design language. I would like to see metal, just so they can tell those bloggers to STFU already. Otherwise I could care less about metal vs plastic, I have had numerous Galaxy S and Galaxy Note devices and have been happy each time. I just want WOW, not last years design with a spec bump.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

The current screen is just fine, ditch the home button, use that .24" space for virtual keys and move on to a new design language. I would like to see metal, just so they can tell those bloggers to STFU already. Otherwise I could care less about metal vs plastic, I have had numerous Galaxy S and Galaxy Note devices and have been happy each time. I just want WOW, not last years design with a spec bump.

I can buy into most of this.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Very-Annoyed