Will Google launch a GS5 Google Play Edition?

Genebaby

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
With Google moving away from supporting SD cards the more native storage the better.

This did surprise me when I looked into android late last year, how few apps ran from SD cards.

Eric Mazariegos

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The reason we don't get a GPE Note 3 would be diminishing returns. The main selling point and attribute that the Note series has over the competition is its S Pen, which Samsung heavily implements into its UX. On barebones stock Android though, there would be limited functionality to an S Pen really. But I think that the Note series of devices have come a long way from being considered niche devices, and maybe we'll see Google doing something with the next Note based on just how popular it is.

But I sure am guessing they will launch a GPE of the GS5. I mean they did so with the GS4 so I don't see why they wouldn't. I hope the price is a bit lower this time though! $650 is a bit much for someone who buys subsidized phones all time time. Maybe around the $550 ballpark would be good.

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
you really don't need to run apps from the SD card. I use the SD card for pictures, music and movies.
With Google moving away from supporting SD cards the more native storage the better.

This did surprise me when I looked into android late last year, how few apps ran from SD cards.

Eric Mazariegos

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
There is cloud options for storing each of these to be honest. Except movies... But storing movies on your device... I'd say you're in the minority.

For photos there's Autobackup on Google+, and for music there's the Play music app from Google.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
There is cloud options for storing each of these to be honest. Except movies... But storing movies on your device... I'd say you're in the minority.

For photos there's Autobackup on Google+, and for music there's the Play music app from Google.

Not everyone uses cloud services. I chose not to. It is easier and faster to have all the stuff you need, music, movies, pic. On my sd card. And backed up to my pc.

Posted via Android Central App

Eric Mazariegos

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Some like me would argue it's easier to just use the cloud services. It is seamless and eliminates the need for cables. And what if you lose or replace your device? It would take so much time to try and put everything back you had on your previous device. But I guess you're right, a lot of people haven't adopted it yet.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Cloud access is unreliable compared to direct access on the devices storage when you take into account you need constant network access either via WiFi or Carrier Network which is going to cost you if you want to stream media. Sorry but microSD has a purpose for those who use it. No one is forcing anyone to put a microSD card into the phone but removing the option is stupid.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I can't do cloud. I travel a lot so watching movies stored on my devices beats the price for WiFi on the plane and its not all that reliable.

WiFi at hotels are slow so streaming movies is rough and I just get mad and dont watch it.

Airport is also slow. Too many people using it so its pretty slow for movies.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I can't do cloud. I travel a lot so watching movies stored on my devices beats the price for WiFi on the plane and its not all that reliable.

WiFi at hotels are slow so streaming movies is rough and I just get mad and dont watch it.

Airport is also slow. Too many people using it so its pretty slow for movies.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)

I second this.

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Cloud Services utilize data. I, for one, don't want every picture backed up and made available on Google+. I use DropBox.

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I disagree; I run out of the 2GB often almost daily in fact and I don't even have TouchWiz, lol. I 'm on GPE.
There's no need for that much RAM. TouchWiz is a hog, but current apps don't use much RAM. The G2 and S4 do fine with just 2 gigs.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I disagree; I run out of the 2GB often almost daily in fact and I don't even have TouchWiz, lol. I 'm on GPE.

Do you use all of the apps or do you leave them running? I only leave Hangouts open at all times. Everything else gets cleared if I know I'm not going to use it for a while. I have never gone over 1GB with SlimBean/Kat

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't want every picture backed up and made available on Google+. Dropbox = I own my data; Google+ = Google owns my data. Read the TOS.

What's the difference?

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.

- - - Updated - - -

I leave them all running for the most part unless I consciously close them.
Do you use all of the apps or do you leave them running? I only leave Hangouts open at all times. Everything else gets cleared if I know I'm not going to use it for a while. I have never gone over 1GB with SlimBean/Kat

Last edited:

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't want every picture backed up and made available on Google+. Dropbox = I own my data; Google+ = Google owns my data. Read the TOS.

- - - Updated - - -

I leave them all running for the most part unless I consciously close them.

Ummm, they both are cloud services that offer the same thing: Storage. There is no difference. You either store your personal data with Google or Dropbox. To me, again, there is no difference.

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Lol, if you think they are the same, you had better read the TOS as I mentioned. Let's try to stay on topic please.
Ummm, they both are cloud services that offer the same thing: Storage. There is no difference. You either store your personal data with Google or Dropbox. To me, again, there is no difference.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Lol, if you think they are the same, you had better read the TOS as I mentioned. Let's try to stay on topic please.

After reading the TOS, I have concluded that they are both the same and store your data either way. I see that Dropbox's TOS is a little cleaner if you ask me. >.< I'll leave it at that then. Maybe I'll make another thread on cloud storage... K, back to the subject on the S5 GPE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamed-helmy