Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy S5 Battery Life?

One of the biggest issues with smart phones today is the lack of a servicable battery to meet the high demands of the hardware. What is the minimum battery you would accept in this phone in order for it to be your next phone?

I'd like to see at least a 3100 mah but anything bigger would be great.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

Global Posts
    18,551 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Battery Life?

I think anywhere between 3,000 and 3,500 would be good.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

We can hope for a certain battery size, but I think what's just as important is how the device uses that battery. If the phone is loaded down with features that you can't disable or get rid of, and if the screen is big and beautiful but an energy sucker, then a 3100 mAh battery might still be pretty mediocre.

Global Posts
    7,817 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    We can hope for a certain battery size, but I think what's just as important is how the device uses that battery. If the phone is loaded down with features that you can't disable or get rid of, and if the screen is big and beautiful but an energy sucker, then a 3100 mAh battery might still be pretty mediocre.
    Agreed, the screen resolution and size have a big effect on battery life.
    I'd like to see them keep the 1080p display and maybe increase the size to 5.2 if they increase it at all. They should make the battery around 3,000 mAh at the very least. I don't mind having a thicker phone

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Global Posts
    5,005 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Battery Life?

It would be interesting to see Samsung find a way to get a better battery size into the device, perhaps work with LG (not going to happen) and design a step battery to better use the space instead of the flat bricks they use today. That said I am hoping for 3300-3500mAh but no doubt the best we will see is a 100-200mAh bump at best.

Global Posts
    7,817 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    It would be interesting to see Samsung find a way to get a better battery size into the device, perhaps work with LG (not going to happen) and design a step battery to better use the space instead of the flat bricks they use today. That said I am hoping for 3300-3500mAh but no doubt the best we will see is a 100-200mAh bump at best.
    I wouldn't mind having a thicker device if it meant a bigger battery. I'm hoping for at least 3,000 but it seems a bit much considering the much larger Note 3 only has 3,200

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Global Posts
    5,005 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

I have to agree. I don't see the need to make the thinnest phone in the world, the current thickness of the Galaxy Series is just fine, I want a real battery and a swappable one with a microSD slot and Samsung is the only one doing both. Now if they would simply go to 64/128GB only and skip the stupid 16/32 route life would be better.

Global Posts
    7,817 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    I have to agree. I don't see the need to make the thinnest phone in the world, the current thickness of the Galaxy Series is just fine, I want a real battery and a swappable one with a microSD slot and Samsung is the only one doing both. Now if they would simply go to 64/128GB only and skip the stupid 16/32 route life would be better.
    32/64 with SD card support is more than enough. The only thing that really takes up a ton of storage on my phone is music and pics. Those can be stored on the SD.

debdroid1a likes this.

After having the RAZR maxx I'd say it would need a minimum of 3,000 but would like to see a 3,200-3,500mah battery. Doesn't matter how good of a phone it is if its dead

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    5,005 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    32/64 with SD card support is more than enough. The only thing that really takes up a ton of storage on my phone is music and pics. Those can be stored on the SD.

It would be IF we could actually get the 64GB version which will no doubt be a no show in the US again. Samsung needs to ditch the 16GB and require the US carriers offer a 32/64GB options. People will buy the 64GB they certainly do screw us enough on ETF's and contract terms.

samsung galaxy s5 battery power is good anything around 3000 mah is good and it has 2800 mah.

How does Apple get bleeding edge battery life out of their 1570 mAh iphone 5S?

C'mon guys, this is not magic, if they can do it we sure as hell should be able to as well. Our battery has almost 2x the capacity of the iphone.

Is the Android OS really that inefficient???

Quote Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post

C'mon guys, this is not magic, if they can do it we sure as hell should be able to as well. Our battery has almost 2x the capacity of the iphone.

IPhones have really good memory management, have better optimized apps, don't have widgets, have way less pixels to push, and are able to create the hardware and software experience to be much more tight knit than Android currently is with the different skins and app setups.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post

Of course it isn't magic, iOS basically restricts all background processes and freezes apps as soon as you exit out of them, this provides great standby time.

The iPhone has a tiny screen compared to the S5, hence it requires less power to run and hence it seems to provide great battery life in benchmarks but in real usage it isn't all that spectacular.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

You can program the S5 to do the same thing...

Set apps to close immediately upon exit.
    Disable all of the bloatware.

Turn off DATA, Wifi, sync, bluetooth, gps if you aren't using them

GPS location is a horrible battery hog and why? We don't need that kind of thing. I have my GPS location set for Power Saving Mode, and even at that, I disable it with Battery Doctor's widget.

I get 3 to 4 days of battery life using the phone and text messaging.

If I want internet stuff, the battery goes downhill just like yours.