Fingerprint ID

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys think the S5 will have a fingerprint ID? Should it have it?

A somewhat side note, Should devices have this as a type of lock? Or if this is selected, should there always be a second verification?

Borarjti

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
personally i think fingerprint id is a gimmick that didnt really draw too many people to begin with when motorola had it on their Atrix(my first android) so i dont see why samsung would follow suit with the 5s besides to try and one up their gimmick of a scanner.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't think we'll see it. Putting it on the front will get them sued :p
And putting it on the back would be counterintuitive

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I think its a gimmick that shouldn't be used. My wife has her iPhone 5s and never uses the fingerprint to unlock her phone.

I would be the same. Samsung needs to keep out the gimmicks and get a TW overhaul first.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
On the iPhone I use for work the fingerprint id fails 100% of time on the first attempt, then after about 4 attempts it works. Hardly worth the effort so I turned it off and use the 10 digit code instead, and that IS ACTUALLY FASTER. Go Figure.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Touch ID works seamlessly on both of my 5s' for locking and for App Store purchases. I can't imagine why my experience would be unique.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I have read many complaints about touchid failing all the time. You are not unique just lucky. Oh wait to quote Jobs, "You are holding it wrong". . . that must be it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering how much a fingerprint scanner really helps for security. If the phone gets stolen, there will presumably still be a way to do a complete hard reset, so the fingerprint scanner won't be any more secure than a complex pattern or PIN. I guess we might start getting a bunch of posts here saying, "Help, my phone no longer recognizes my fingerprint, how can I bypass it?!?"

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I think it only offers limited security. As much as the passcode. I think if someone really really wants into your phone they could find a way around it and the NSA etc don't need to. I think it may stop the common thief as much as a passcode but not too much beyond that. It is very convenient for providing whatever level of security it provides and for approval of app purchases.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I think it only offers limited security. As much as the passcode. I think if someone really really wants into your phone they could find a way around it and the NSA etc don't need to. I think it may stop the common thief as much as a passcode but not too much beyond that. It is very convenient for providing whatever level of security it provides and for approval of app purchases.

I never really got the whole fingerprint scanner/id thing. But using it for basic security access and approval of App purchases makes sense. I don't think it'll be a feature I am wanting to own, but do see a niche in the market that demands that type of feature.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I never really got the whole fingerprint scanner/id thing. But using it for basic security access and approval of App purchases makes sense. I don't think it'll be a feature I am wanting to own, but do see a niche in the market that demands that type of feature.

Once you use it I think you'd see the value of it. Simply because it's faster than drawing a pattern or entering a passcode. I really miss it on my iPads, but it's totally a convenience. In 18 months when I'm eligible for my iPads' NEXT upgrades I'm sure it will be on the then-current models.

The thing that strikes me about Touch ID as a feature is that if it were widely available on, say, Samsung or HTC devices in an equivalent implementation that is used on the iPhone right now, but indeed not available on the iPhone itself.... I believe many android users would be singing its praises and pontificating how the iPhone was so so so far behind because it didn't have the feature. Instead, because it is an iPhone feature many, no...not all, say its a useless gimmick. Perhaps my perception here is mistaken.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Once you use it I think you'd see the value of it. Simply because it's faster than drawing a pattern or entering a passcode. I really miss it on my iPads, but it's totally a convenience. In 18 months when I'm eligible for my iPads' NEXT upgrades I'm sure it will be on the then-current models.

The thing that strikes me about Touch ID as a feature is that if it were widely available on, say, Samsung or HTC devices in an equivalent implementation that is used on the iPhone right now, but indeed not available on the iPhone itself.... I believe many android users would be singing its praises and pontificating how the iPhone was so so so far behind because it didn't have the feature. Instead, because it is an iPhone feature many, no...not all, say its a useless gimmick. Perhaps my perception here is mistaken.

Good point. Do I agree it's a gimmick, yes. Useless? No, so long as it works much more often than not. I have seen and heard of several people (I know, not a very large pool) complain that it does take anywhere between 1 and 5 attempts to unlock, and inconsistently. I understand that up to 5 prints can be stored, but let's say someone who is lazy only puts one in and then that fingertip gets a scar (thus destroying their security code). No other prints that are saved (unless the OS forces others on) means that said owner is locked out. If that is truly the case, what happens then? (Not bashing, asking a legitimate question that if it hasn't already been addressed).

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Touch ID forces one to still create a 4-digit pin as a backup. You have to use the PIN after each restart (unless the phone is jailbroken). As far as the accuracy of the fingerprint reads, I think Apple compromised between having enough fingerprint samples and the ease of use. I think they figured the user didn't want to sit there and scan their fingerprint for 30 minutes to store a flawless sample that would always work on the first try. However, I recently learned that the user can store as many samples of the same finger as they want...each one improving the accuracy at which that finger is read. Why Apple doesn't advertise this at at-least some level is a mystery. Perhaps too concerned about keeping things simple. I have scanned my thumb and foreforinger on both hands and the feature works well for me.

I really would like to see it on more devices. I would like to see the security of it improved as well but I still think it's neat start and I've become dependent on it. I'd love to see LG come up with one to be integrated with the power button on its phones with rear power/volume buttons.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Touch ID forces one to still create a 4-digit pin as a backup. You have to use the PIN after each restart (unless the phone is jailbroken). As far as the accuracy of the fingerprint reads, I think Apple compromised between having enough fingerprint samples and the ease of use. I think they figured the user didn't want to sit there and scan their fingerprint for 30 minutes to store a flawless sample that would always work on the first try. However, I recently learned that the user can store as many samples of the same finger as they want...each one improving the accuracy at which that finger is read. Why Apple doesn't advertise this at at-least some level is a mystery. Perhaps too concerned about keeping things simple. I have scanned my thumb and foreforinger on both hands and the feature works well for me.

I really would like to see it on more devices. I would like to see the security of it improved as well but I still think it's neat start and I've become dependent on it. I'd love to see LG come up with one to be integrated with the power button on its phones with rear power/volume buttons.

Better yet...how about a retina scan?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Better yet...how about a retina scan?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

I'd love that. The company that releases a phone with retina scan technology will be bring'n it. But I have no idea if today's cameras are anywhere near good enough and what kind of processing and software power is needed. I think we'll see it within the next couple of years though and that'll be exciting indeed.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it makes much difference whether the retina scan or the fingerprint scanner is included in terms of my purchasing decision. I would assume that there is the option not to use either one. Maybe it is because I am probably older than most of the people posting in this forum but I am a bit old-fashioned and more protective of my identity. Once thieves obtain your retina scan and one or all of your fingerprints, they can impersonate you much easier and it would seem more difficult to unravel any unauthorized purchases as they are so entirely unique to each person. There are also a multitude of nefarious uses of this identification.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it makes much difference whether the retina scan or the fingerprint scanner is included in terms of my purchasing decision. I would assume that there is the option not to use either one. Maybe it is because I am probably older than most of the people posting in this forum but I am a bit old-fashioned and more protective of my identity. Once thieves obtain your retina scan and one or all of your fingerprints, they can impersonate you much easier and it would seem more difficult to unravel any unauthorized purchases as they are so entirely unique to each person. There are also a multitude of nefarious uses of this identification.

Someone's a bit paranoid..