Should I buy a Samsung Galaxy S5 or wait for the next "HTC One"?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, yet another comparison thread of phones that haven't come out yet!:p Considering the historic difference in Samsung's and HTC's look & feel, as well as their respective strengths and weaknesses, will there be much chance of Samsung luring HTC customers or vice-versa? If you're a fan of one those companies, what would it take for you to try a phone from the other company?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok, yet another comparison thread of phones that haven't come out yet!:p Considering the historic difference in Samsung's and HTC's look & feel, as well as their respective strengths and weaknesses, will there be much chance of Samsung luring HTC customers or vice-versa? If you're a fan of one those companies, what would it take for you to try a phone from the other company?

I do like the fit of the HTC One and really like the all metal design along with the speakers on the front. What I don't like is how the finish is rather easy to scuff and mark. I've seen numerous devices for sale with the chips and gouges on the corners. Sellers claim this is a normal thing with the One so maybe the next version will be more durable.

I was so hoping the S5 would be a metal design but it appears that isn't going to be the case.

And what is the time frame for the next "One"?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
HTC One was a nice device but the rumored M8 or HTC One 2 shows the same stupid black bar at the bottom and unless they improved the build quality and added the microSD back on (which they can do and did for China) then I would say go GS5.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The rumored image I saw (can't remember where) showed a taller device, and like Raptor said, the stupid bar at the bottom. It just makes for a bigger bezel and by default, making the phone bigger when it doesn't need to be.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually a fan of the leaked images of the M8. I don't plan on getting a device anytime soon, but it would definitely be on my list of devices to consider if I did.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The one big benefit of the HTC One and the M8 is the front facing speakers, they are nice, but add a bit to the phones size along with that bezel.