Galaxy S5: What do we know about it?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
As of right now, what do we really know about the S5 so far? I mean, most is rumor, but does anyone have anything concrete?

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(5928073)

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: What do we know about it?

Yep, that it's being made my Samsung.

All jokes aside, I think the one thing we have is that it will be running the newest snapdragon 805 chip. That's about all I know that I'm 99% sure about.

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Yep, that it's being made my Samsung.

All jokes aside, I think the one thing we have is that it will be running the newest snapdragon 805 chip. That's about all I know that I'm 99% sure about.

how are u so sure? This is the rumor I believe that will be only old technology...I believe 800 will be in it, I'm heading 805 in note 3 etc

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

The rumor mill has been going non-stop. I'm hoping to see some nice spec's on this device that will "wow" the industry. The screen size is what intrigues me most. I'm thinking it will be a little bump in size from the S4 but wont quite be the size of the Note 3.

anon(5928073)

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

I'm honestly pretty sure. The 805 chip is one that samsung has to integrate to show a performance boost. The 800 chip has already shown its power in many leading flagship phones. Samsung strives to put their best foot forward on the hardware side and I think that means the 805 chip will be in the S5. (of course this doesn't mean that touch wiz isn't still the biggest hog I have ever seen to date).

I think the specs that I am expecting are more along the lines of these:
1440p display
560+ ppi
4GB RAM
805 Snapdragon chip (Octo-core? Quad core? 2.9Ghz?)
around 15-16 MP camera
AND a battery a bit larger then 3000mah. Maybe 3200mah?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I'm honestly pretty sure. The 805 chip is one that samsung has to integrate to show a performance boost. The 800 chip has already shown its power in many leading flagship phones. Samsung strives to put their best foot forward on the hardware side and I think that means the 805 chip will be in the S5. (of course this doesn't mean that touch wiz isn't still the biggest hog I have ever seen to date).

1440p display
560+ ppi
4GB RAM
around 15-16 MP camera

Qualcomm said the 805 chips wouldn't be ready this early in the year. I seriously doubt we'll see it in the S5 in the U.S.
Maybe S. Korea will have it later in the year like they had an S4 with the SD800

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

1440p display
560+ ppi
4GB RAM
around 15-16 MP camera
I'd say that's close to what we'll be seeing on the S5. I'd like to see a larger battery, so 3200mAh seems to be the better fit - hopefully Samsung is able to take advantage of a stepped battery design or simply a larger batter to fit within the shell of the S5.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Those specs would be nice. I think Octa cores are a bit over the edge for devices at this time, especially when Samsung can just simply trim down the UI to reduce load on the processor. Good point would be the X giving the S4 a run for it's money on everything and has a lot less on a spec sheet.

anon(5928073)

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

Those specs would be nice. I think Octa cores are a bit over the edge for devices at this time, especially when Samsung can just simply trim down the UI to reduce load on the processor. Good point would be the X giving the S4 a run for it's money on everything and has a lot less on a spec sheet.

True. I love the Moto X also. Awesome phone and great feel for the hardware. I do believe though that even though the 805 isn't going to be "out" that doesn't mean that samsung won't find it's way to get it's hands on it.

As far as trimming down the UI... one can only hope. It's a shame, honestly, that touchwiz is so-so. The UI isn't half bad and the phones are fast. I just can't get over how bloated touchwiz is.

ANYWAYS I do think octa core would be a bit of overkill also, so I think quad-core is what they would muster up.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

True. I love the Moto X also. Awesome phone and great feel for the hardware. I do believe though that even though the 805 isn't going to be "out" that doesn't mean that samsung won't find it's way to get it's hands on it.

As far as trimming down the UI... one can only hope. It's a shame, honestly, that touchwiz is so-so. The UI isn't half bad and the phones are fast. I just can't get over how bloated touchwiz is.

ANYWAYS I do think octa core would be a bit of overkill also, so I think quad-core is what they would muster up.

Especially since Moto proved how well a dual core could do. Think how much a quad core would have done?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Especially since Moto proved how well a dual core could do. Think how much a quad core would have done?

Hopefully their next X can be a quad-core. The only bad things about the X are gaming and the camera

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

If the Octa core is done well, and is a proper big.LITTLE configuration it can be efficient. Unfortunately Samsung hasn't quite got there yet. They're big and have a ton of money though, so I'm sure they know what they need to do.

Something to consider.....it might still be cheaper for them to just buy the S800 than spend a ton of money on certification for their own modem/chip/baseband if they don't see an appreciable performance boost from doing it.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Question for you smart guys: Why do we see different processors in different markets? Is the same expected with the S5?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Question for you smart guys: Why do we see different processors in different markets? Is the same expected with the S5?

Not sure. Been that way since the S2 at least.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

The Exynos line of processors except the one in the Note 2 which made it to North American markets did not support the correct bands. The chipsets did not have support for the modem required to provide LTE thus Samsung creates two different models, one with LTE and one without. Markets which have LTE networks get the LTE model while the countries with small or non-existent LTE networks get the other model.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

The Exynos line of processors except the one in the Note 2 which made it to North American markets did not support the correct bands. The chipsets did not have support for the modem required to provide LTE thus Samsung creates two different models, one with LTE and one without. Markets which have LTE networks get the LTE model while the countries with small or non-existent LTE networks get the other model.

Basically this, yes. ;)

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

You would think by now they would have developed a way make their own processor work with LTE so they would have only have to support one processor and most likely lower cost as well.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

You would think by now they would have developed a way make their own processor work with LTE so they would have only have to support one processor and most likely lower cost as well.

Unless something has changed Samsung doesn't make their own modems. They get them from Qualcomm.

anon(5928073)

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

Honestly, I personally think the fingerprint scanner is a complete gimmick. It will be used really well in the future, but right now I don't really see a good use for them.

The S5 will have awesome specs regardless. The fingerprint scanner will be something that will either make this phone or ruin it in my opinion. It ruined the MAX for me, the 5S, and the S5 is hopefully not going to be in that same category..... Not even going to talk about touchwiz will ruin the experience for me also... That's for another time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci