Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,526 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,800 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Galaxy S5: What do we know about it?

    As of right now, what do we really know about the S5 so far? I mean, most is rumor, but does anyone have anything concrete?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-16-2014 at 12:44 PM.

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  2. #2  

    Default Re: What do we know about it?

    Yep, that it's being made my Samsung.

    All jokes aside, I think the one thing we have is that it will be running the newest snapdragon 805 chip. That's about all I know that I'm 99% sure about.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: What do we know about it?

    Quote Originally Posted by apeterson93 View Post
    Yep, that it's being made my Samsung.

    All jokes aside, I think the one thing we have is that it will be running the newest snapdragon 805 chip. That's about all I know that I'm 99% sure about.
    how are u so sure? This is the rumor I believe that will be only old technology...I believe 800 will be in it, I'm heading 805 in note 3 etc

    Posted via Android Central App
  4. #4  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    6,743 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: What do we know about it?

    The rumor mill has been going non-stop. I'm hoping to see some nice spec's on this device that will "wow" the industry. The screen size is what intrigues me most. I'm thinking it will be a little bump in size from the S4 but wont quite be the size of the Note 3.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: What do we know about it?

    I'm honestly pretty sure. The 805 chip is one that samsung has to integrate to show a performance boost. The 800 chip has already shown its power in many leading flagship phones. Samsung strives to put their best foot forward on the hardware side and I think that means the 805 chip will be in the S5. (of course this doesn't mean that touch wiz isn't still the biggest hog I have ever seen to date).

    I think the specs that I am expecting are more along the lines of these:
    1440p display
    560+ ppi
    4GB RAM
    805 Snapdragon chip (Octo-core? Quad core? 2.9Ghz?)
    around 15-16 MP camera
    AND a battery a bit larger then 3000mah. Maybe 3200mah?
    srkmagnus likes this.
  6. #6  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,455 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,534 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: What do we know about it?

    Quote Originally Posted by apeterson93 View Post
    I'm honestly pretty sure. The 805 chip is one that samsung has to integrate to show a performance boost. The 800 chip has already shown its power in many leading flagship phones. Samsung strives to put their best foot forward on the hardware side and I think that means the 805 chip will be in the S5. (of course this doesn't mean that touch wiz isn't still the biggest hog I have ever seen to date).

    I think the specs that I am expecting are more along the lines of these:
    1440p display
    560+ ppi
    4GB RAM
    805 Snapdragon chip (Octo-core? Quad core? 2.9Ghz?)
    around 15-16 MP camera
    AND a battery a bit larger then 3000mah. Maybe 3200mah?
    Qualcomm said the 805 chips wouldn't be ready this early in the year. I seriously doubt we'll see it in the S5 in the U.S.
    Maybe S. Korea will have it later in the year like they had an S4 with the SD800

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  7. #7  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    6,743 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: What do we know about it?

    Quote Originally Posted by apeterson93 View Post
    I'm honestly pretty sure. The 805 chip is one that samsung has to integrate to show a performance boost. The 800 chip has already shown its power in many leading flagship phones. Samsung strives to put their best foot forward on the hardware side and I think that means the 805 chip will be in the S5. (of course this doesn't mean that touch wiz isn't still the biggest hog I have ever seen to date).

    I think the specs that I am expecting are more along the lines of these:
    1440p display
    560+ ppi
    4GB RAM
    805 Snapdragon chip (Octo-core? Quad core? 2.9Ghz?)
    around 15-16 MP camera
    AND a battery a bit larger then 3000mah. Maybe 3200mah?
    I'd say that's close to what we'll be seeing on the S5. I'd like to see a larger battery, so 3200mAh seems to be the better fit - hopefully Samsung is able to take advantage of a stepped battery design or simply a larger batter to fit within the shell of the S5.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,526 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,800 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: What do we know about it?

    Those specs would be nice. I think Octa cores are a bit over the edge for devices at this time, especially when Samsung can just simply trim down the UI to reduce load on the processor. Good point would be the X giving the S4 a run for it's money on everything and has a lot less on a spec sheet.

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  9. #9  

    Default Re: What do we know about it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Those specs would be nice. I think Octa cores are a bit over the edge for devices at this time, especially when Samsung can just simply trim down the UI to reduce load on the processor. Good point would be the X giving the S4 a run for it's money on everything and has a lot less on a spec sheet.
    True. I love the Moto X also. Awesome phone and great feel for the hardware. I do believe though that even though the 805 isn't going to be "out" that doesn't mean that samsung won't find it's way to get it's hands on it.

    As far as trimming down the UI... one can only hope. It's a shame, honestly, that touchwiz is so-so. The UI isn't half bad and the phones are fast. I just can't get over how bloated touchwiz is.

    ANYWAYS I do think octa core would be a bit of overkill also, so I think quad-core is what they would muster up.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,526 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,800 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: What do we know about it?

    Quote Originally Posted by apeterson93 View Post
    True. I love the Moto X also. Awesome phone and great feel for the hardware. I do believe though that even though the 805 isn't going to be "out" that doesn't mean that samsung won't find it's way to get it's hands on it.

    As far as trimming down the UI... one can only hope. It's a shame, honestly, that touchwiz is so-so. The UI isn't half bad and the phones are fast. I just can't get over how bloated touchwiz is.

    ANYWAYS I do think octa core would be a bit of overkill also, so I think quad-core is what they would muster up.
    Especially since Moto proved how well a dual core could do. Think how much a quad core would have done?

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  11. #11  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,455 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,534 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: What do we know about it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Especially since Moto proved how well a dual core could do. Think how much a quad core would have done?
    Hopefully their next X can be a quad-core. The only bad things about the X are gaming and the camera

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  12. #12  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,720 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,897 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: What do we know about it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Those specs would be nice. I think Octa cores are a bit over the edge for devices at this time, especially when Samsung can just simply trim down the UI to reduce load on the processor. Good point would be the X giving the S4 a run for it's money on everything and has a lot less on a spec sheet.
    If the Octa core is done well, and is a proper big.LITTLE configuration it can be efficient. Unfortunately Samsung hasn't quite got there yet. They're big and have a ton of money though, so I'm sure they know what they need to do.

    Something to consider.....it might still be cheaper for them to just buy the S800 than spend a ton of money on certification for their own modem/chip/baseband if they don't see an appreciable performance boost from doing it.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  13. #13  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    6,743 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: What do we know about it?

    Question for you smart guys: Why do we see different processors in different markets? Is the same expected with the S5?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,526 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,800 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: What do we know about it?

    Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Question for you smart guys: Why do we see different processors in different markets? Is the same expected with the S5?
    Not sure. Been that way since the S2 at least.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  15. #15  

    Default Re: What do we know about it?

    Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Question for you smart guys: Why do we see different processors in different markets? Is the same expected with the S5?
    The Exynos line of processors except the one in the Note 2 which made it to North American markets did not support the correct bands. The chipsets did not have support for the modem required to provide LTE thus Samsung creates two different models, one with LTE and one without. Markets which have LTE networks get the LTE model while the countries with small or non-existent LTE networks get the other model.

    Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    UJ95x likes this.
  16. #16  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,720 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,897 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: What do we know about it?

    Quote Originally Posted by msavic6 View Post
    The Exynos line of processors except the one in the Note 2 which made it to North American markets did not support the correct bands. The chipsets did not have support for the modem required to provide LTE thus Samsung creates two different models, one with LTE and one without. Markets which have LTE networks get the LTE model while the countries with small or non-existent LTE networks get the other model.

    Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Basically this, yes.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:
  17. #17  
    grn4frk's Avatar

    Posts
    184 Posts
    Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

    Default Re: What do we know about it?

    Quote Originally Posted by msavic6 View Post
    The Exynos line of processors except the one in the Note 2 which made it to North American markets did not support the correct bands. The chipsets did not have support for the modem required to provide LTE thus Samsung creates two different models, one with LTE and one without. Markets which have LTE networks get the LTE model while the countries with small or non-existent LTE networks get the other model.

    Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    You would think by now they would have developed a way make their own processor work with LTE so they would have only have to support one processor and most likely lower cost as well.

    Posted via Android Central App
  18. #18  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,720 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,897 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: What do we know about it?

    Quote Originally Posted by grn4frk View Post
    You would think by now they would have developed a way make their own processor work with LTE so they would have only have to support one processor and most likely lower cost as well.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Unless something has changed Samsung doesn't make their own modems. They get them from Qualcomm.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  19. #19  
    Joe113's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    781 Posts
    Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

    Default Re: What do we know about it?

    Now we know FOR SURE... I guess lol.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: What do we know about it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe113 View Post
    Now we know FOR SURE... I guess lol.
    Honestly, I personally think the fingerprint scanner is a complete gimmick. It will be used really well in the future, but right now I don't really see a good use for them.

    The S5 will have awesome specs regardless. The fingerprint scanner will be something that will either make this phone or ruin it in my opinion. It ruined the MAX for me, the 5S, and the S5 is hopefully not going to be in that same category..... Not even going to talk about touchwiz will ruin the experience for me also... That's for another time.
  21. #21  
    Joe113's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    781 Posts
    Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

    Default Re: What do we know about it?

    Quote Originally Posted by apeterson93 View Post
    Honestly, I personally think the fingerprint scanner is a complete gimmick. It will be used really well in the future, but right now I don't really see a good use for them.

    The S5 will have awesome specs regardless. The fingerprint scanner will be something that will either make this phone or ruin it in my opinion. It ruined the MAX for me, the 5S, and the S5 is hopefully not going to be in that same category..... Not even going to talk about touchwiz will ruin the experience for me also... That's for another time.
    Nova Launcher FTW! been using it since I had the EVO 3D!
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Galaxy S5: What do we know about it?

    I do know once this gets released, apple will file a lawsuit on Samsung. This time its probably going to be the placement of the earpiece or placement of the screen location. Usually something stupid.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Droid RAZR MAXX/Xoom/4510 LTE MiFi
  23. #23  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,455 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,534 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: Galaxy S5: What do we know about it?

    Quote Originally Posted by RHChan84 View Post
    I do know once this gets released, apple will file a lawsuit on Samsung. This time its probably going to be the placement of the earpiece or placement of the screen location. Usually something stupid.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Or the rumored fingerprint scanner

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Galaxy S5: What do we know about it?

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Or the rumored fingerprint scanner

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    Apple lawyers already drew up the lawsuit for that most likely. They are just waiting for the announcement.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Droid RAZR MAXX/Xoom/4510 LTE MiFi
  25. #25  
    Joe113's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    781 Posts
    Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

    Default Re: Galaxy S5: What do we know about it?

    Quote Originally Posted by RHChan84 View Post
    Apple lawyers already drew up the lawsuit for that most likely. They are just waiting for the announcement.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Funny thing is, they weren't the first to put fingerprint scanner on a phone lol....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. stock calendar app - hit or miss if it shows items
    By chenks in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-21-2014, 08:34 PM
  2. Do I want to be switching to Kit Kat?
    By kwitel in forum Verizon HTC One
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-20-2014, 10:49 AM
  3. Data won't work, what are the correct APN settings and how can I set them?
    By abrennan94 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 02:41 PM
  4. Nexus 7: failed hard reset - now it wont boot
    By soestroem in forum Google Nexus 7 (2013) Rooting, ROMs, & Hacks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-16-2014, 01:59 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-15-2014, 08:01 PM

Posting Permissions

B