Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kevin O'Quinn
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S5: VoLTE compatible?

So AT&T and Verizon have been aiming to launch their VoLTE (Voice over LTE) service some time this year. There have been numerous reports of both carriers testing the service out. Do you think the S5 will be compatible with this technology out of the box? I haven't seen much in the rumor mill about it.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-06-2014 at 04:43 PM.

Global Posts
    20,738 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: S5: VoLTE compatible?

I don't think so. Google is looking at changing VoiP in May, affecting some apps. Also, with no definite timeline as to when these are going to be launched, Samsung may be just as much in the dark as we are.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I don't think so. Google is looking at changing VoiP in May, affecting some apps. Also, with no definite timeline as to when these are going to be launched, Samsung may be just as much in the dark as we are.
    Google is going to change Google Voice, not the basic functionality of a voice call. VoLTE isn't the same as VOIP.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:
    grn4frk and UJ95x like this.

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Google is going to change Google Voice, not the basic functionality of a voice call. VoLTE isn't the same as VOIP.
    I think it will have the hardware capability but not enabled at launch. At least I hope so...I'll be pissed if Verizon pulls a mid cycle radio upgrade like T-Mobile/Sprint did to upgrade to LTE/"Spark". But who knows.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    8,889 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

I don't think we'll see this just yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they released a VoLTE compatible model in the future, though that would **** a lot of people off

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    I don't think we'll see this just yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they released a VoLTE compatible model in the future, though that would **** a lot of people off

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    I could see them releasing a VoLTE "capable" device and turning it on with an OTA. But my gut is telling me that'll be second half of this year with a new round of devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    I could see them releasing a VoLTE "capable" device and turning it on with an OTA. But my gut is telling me that'll be second half of this year with a new round of devices.
    so, it's not a safe bet to buy the S5 now? I don't want a phone that can't do VoLTE in a year or two.

come to think of it, my area is still Verizon 3G only, no LTE. I wonder when Verizon will turn on LTE around here.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by CarrierPigeon View Post
    so, it's not a safe bet to buy the S5 now? I don't want a phone that can't do VoLTE in a year or two.

come to think of it, my area is still Verizon 3G only, no LTE. I wonder when Verizon will turn on LTE around here.
    If you need a device now then get what suits your needs now.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I read an article some weeks back as VZW was going to cut over to VoLTE as soon as they had the present CDMA footprint covered with 4Glte and they had hoped to have that done by the 1st quarter of 2014 but was going to put it off for a while as that CDMA footprint was not covered as well as they thought it should be. When the time came they would issue an OTA update to VoLTE enabled phones. I don't think they are to far from this goal or at least them doing it and then work on the issues and pissing a bunch of customers off as they do from time to time. They planned on using the old CDMA network strictly for prepay and wholesale service for a few years before they turned it down and then re-farmed the band width to something else. VZW and at&t are both in talks with Google about bandwidth and wholesale service to provide higher speed data networks to the public. I just read this today. Google is talking about 1 - 10 - 100 gb and I think even 1000 gb service and not real expensive for that kind of service. It is hard to say if any of this will come to pass but I guess we just wait and see. I do know that Google has a bit of money to invest in this and will make a bit of money doing it. I know they have many contract construction people talking about it. The other thing is this may depend on how much money the Obama administration will borrow and then loan out to some of these smaller companies at low or no interest and without any chance of these companies paying back the money. I think Obama will do it though but it will saddle the government and US citizens with more debt than they ever thought possible. Will the Chinese though finance this? Very hard to say. Sorry to get off topic but wanted to through the Google thing out there since it was mentioned above.