Galaxy S5 Fingerprint Scanner Confirmed...Here is how it works

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
http://phandroid.com/2014/02/17/sam...fingerprint-scanner-in-its-home-button-rumor/

Samsung?s inclusion of fingerprint reading hardware and software for their next flagship Galaxy device have been up and down like a Flappy Bird. With rumors since back in December, at one point it was even whispered that Samsung might attempt to 1-up the competition (read: the Apple iPhone 5s) going with a retina scanner for added security. For whatever reason, Samsung would later forgo this security method, returning once again to the more easily doable fingerprint reading hardware. It was towards the tail end of January, @evleaks seemingly confirmed the move after showcasing a leaked app for the Galaxy S5 titled ?FingerprintService.apk.?

New and improved home button

Even though the security feature wasn?t specifically mentioned in a purported leaked image of the Galaxy S5′s packaging, a new report out of SamMobile is not only further confirming a fingerprint scanner for the S5, but providing some details about how it will work. Because Samsung?s typically longer/thinner shaped home buttons didn?t seem well suited for a fingerprint scanner, it was suggested that Sammy would build the scanner into the phone?s display. Not the case. Yes, the home button will be making a return in the Galaxy S5 (along with the other hardware buttons) only it will be enhanced with fingerprint reading capabilities.

How will it work?

Like we mentioned before, the long shape of Samsung?s home buttons means it will scan you fingerprint differently than the iPhone 5s. Apparently, users will need to swipe their finger from bottom to top, and at a slow enough speed for the device to register it. Samsung hopes to make this easy by showing you your fingerprint as it?s being scanned in real-time. Because the scanner is sensitive to moisture, your finger will need to be nice and dry in order to avoid an error message. Hmmmm? it?s already sounding a bit finicky.

Extra security

The Galaxy S5 will be able to store a total of 8 fingerprints which can be assigned to app shortcuts or launch various tasks. Samsung is even providing a new ?Personal Folder? used for locking up specific apps inside. To unlock, simply scan your the assigned finger, and you?ll have access (pattern or PIN unlock can also be used). You can even register a specific finger to unlock the device in ?Private Mode,? which should come in handy when handing the phone off to a friend or family member for making a quick call.

Fingerprints can also be registered to a Samsung account where they can later be used system wide, like when logging into websites. Tie this into the Google Play Store and you got yourself a winner here, Samsung.

More coming soon?

SamMobile mentions that they purposely didn?t want to leak any images of the software, in hopes of not spoiling the big reveal come February 24th in Barcelona. Of course, Phandroid will be in attendance for the big show during our Mobile World Congress coverage next week, so stay tuned.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Really they're going with a fingerprint scanner, how about they come up with some real innovative ideas and put them on a phone that's gonna sell tens of millions

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

JBConforti

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Samsungs method of innovation is to shotgun blast features and hope that one or two of them catches on. This move isn't really surprising TBH.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
My HP laptop has a finger print scanner pretty similar to mentioned article. If it works as it does on the laptop, it works pretty well. I might only have a 90% success rate but the times it fails is if I do the side of my fingers because I was in a rush but as soon as I have my full print, it works perfect. I haven't typed in a password on my laptop in about a year since I have been using the fingerprint scanner.

I was hoping for it since it's a pretty nice feature and I do hope it gets more app use like Google Wallet, Bank apps, and so on. This would be a nice and quick and secure feature to add so little to no password entry.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Even though the fingerprint scanner is somewhat gimmicky, I like what Samsung is doing here, especially with the option of a "private mode". I almost see it as a different launcher only accessible by fingerprint scanning (or pin). Good for if someone steals your phone or u let someone else see your phone

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Call me old-fashioned. The inclusion of the scanner in the GS5 makes me a bit nervous. Once someone obtains your fingerprint(s), they can impersonate you forever and it is difficult to unravel the identity theft. What is so different about the proposed GS5 technology that would make me comfortable once all eight fingerprints have been hijacked?

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Call me old-fashioned. The inclusion of the scanner in the GS5 makes me a bit nervous. Once someone obtains your fingerprint(s), they can impersonate you forever and it is difficult to unravel the identity theft. What is so different about the proposed GS5 technology that would make me comfortable once all eight fingerprints have been hijacked?

I'm sure they'll promise encrypted finger print storage and all that jazz to make you feel a fake sense of security

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
If they were copying apple they wouldn't have **** products. Ohhhh damnn..

Just kidding, but really

lanzfernandez

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Even though the fingerprint scanner is somewhat gimmicky, I like what Samsung is doing here, especially with the option of a "private mode". I almost see it as a different launcher only accessible by fingerprint scanning (or pin). Good for if someone steals your phone or u let someone else see your phone

Yeah obviously because it's samsung. I bet you hate fingerprint scanner until samsung apply it.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah obviously because it's samsung. I bet you hate fingerprint scanner until samsung apply it.

Not really, I actually thought the iPhone 5 one was cool too
We will just see how it actually works on this phone, I just said I like the Private Mode
...man you people are quick to start rage, calm down dude

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I'll use it, depending on how efficient it is, and how much of my finger has to be present, and how long it takes to register.

Otherwise I probably won't use it or any lock screen

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abhishek397