1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Default Galaxy S5 resolution: Massive improvement?

There are leaked images of the S5's specs "confirming" that the phone will release with a QHD resolution.
    Do you expect it to be distinguishable from the 1080p phones if the rumor is true? Or will it only be noticeable if they are side by side?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

Global Posts
    13,894 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Galaxy S5 resolution: Massive improvement?

I think it will only be noticed next to another display. I will be interesting as to what the resolution is.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

But its far past what the human can see at normal viewing distance. You would have to have your eyes very very close to notice. Colors on the other hand will be improved but that's just with the screen type. But as for seeing the pixels, you won't notice.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)
    Droid RAZR MAXX/Xoom/4510 LTE MiFi
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by RHChan84 View Post
    But its far past what the human can see at normal viewing distance. You would have to have your eyes very very close to notice. Colors on the other hand will be improved but that's just with the screen type. But as for seeing the pixels, you won't notice.

You won't notice any pixelation but that doesn't mean the display won't look better. 1080p and 4K TVs are both past the point of visible pixels yet the latter looks noticeably better. We'll see how much of a difference it makes on such a small display though

But that's a 50" screen though. 1080p ppi is still far less than a 5" screen. I believe 4k 50" is closer retina display PPI but I could be wrong.

Color wise, there will be a difference but sharpness, probably not. I think the difference will be a placebo effect. I have looked at the iphone retina be note3 and s4 and they both look very sharp and smooth. Colors were different but in terms of sharpness, they all look very similar.

Droid RAZR MAXX/Xoom/4510 LTE MiFi
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by RHChan84 View Post
    But that's a 50" screen though. 1080p ppi is still far less than a 5" screen. I believe 4k 50" is closer retina display PPI but I could be wrong.

Color wise, there will be a difference but sharpness, probably not. I think the difference will be a placebo effect. I have looked at the iphone retina be note3 and s4 and they both look very sharp and smooth. Colors were different but in terms of sharpness, they all look very similar.

Yeah. That's why I said we'll see if it's noticeable on a small screen. I can tell the difference between an iPhone 5 and a GS4 in terms of sharpness in most situations. Especially gaming. For anything around 400 and higher though, I can't see any difference unless I get really close

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    There are leaked images of the S5's specs "confirming" that the phone will release with a QHD resolution.
    Do you expect it to be distinguishable from the 1080p phones if the rumor is true? Or will it only be noticeable if they are side by side?

With 2560x1440p and over 560 ppi its going to look clearer like 1080p looked over 720p. Some say you cant see the difference but trust me you will its going to look that much more crisp and the screen will jump at you more then the 1080p
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by DETERMINOLOGY View Post
    With 2560x1440p and over 560 ppi its going to look clearer like 1080p looked over 720p. Some say you cant see the difference but trust me you will its going to look that much more crisp and the screen will jump at you more then the 1080p
    We shall see. I don't think it'll be enough to justify the increased demand on CPU and battery

Global Posts
    2,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by DETERMINOLOGY View Post
    Whenever I hear the word "crisp", I get hungry. Lol

On a serious note, I really don't care about resolution above 720p. 1080p is good but more than that is either a gimmick or an over exaggeration. Maybe I would have to see the QHD screen in person myself.

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.
    It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J. K Rowling

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." - Bruce Lee

"The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye." - Jimi Hendrix