How does pre-ordering work on AT&T?

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
So this will be the very first time i've ever been up for an upgrade BEFORE a phone I'm planning on getting comes out. I have the S4 but because of a change I made to my plan this past month I'm up for an upgrade at any point which means I'm planning on going for the S5.

My questions is, how does pre-ordering work on AT&T so i can get it when it launches? Will they have a site for pre-orders? How does pre-ordering work when you're using an upgrade on your plan? Do pre-orders usually get shipped to your home or do you pick them up in store?

I've never looked into it before since I was never able to upgrade at phone launch. So thanks in advance for anyone who can answer my questions!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
So this will be the very first time i've ever been up for an upgrade BEFORE a phone I'm planning on getting comes out. I have the S4 but because of a change I made to my plan this past month I'm up for an upgrade at any point which means I'm planning on going for the S5.

My questions is, how does pre-ordering work on AT&T so i can get it when it launches? Will they have a site for pre-orders? How does pre-ordering work when you're using an upgrade on your plan? Do pre-orders usually get shipped to your home or do you pick them up in store?

I've never looked into it before since I was never able to upgrade at phone launch. So thanks in advance for anyone who can answer my questions!
By pre-ordering you'll essentially be reserving a device so there won't be an issue with not being able to find one in store if inventory is low or sells out quick. In most cases you can choose how to receive the device: in store pick-up or mail to your home. If you choose to receive at home the device can be received a day prior to the official release date or on the release date. If there is a delay AT&T will notify you as to when the device should expect to be delivered.

AT&T should have pre-order available once the device is announced.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
So they will most likely put up a pre-ordering webpage? And if i pre-order as soon as I can i'm guaranteed one right? I'm assuming they have a limit on pre-orders though so i'll have to be quick.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
So they will most likely put up a pre-ordering webpage? And if i pre-order as soon as I can i'm guaranteed one right? I'm assuming they have a limit on pre-orders though so i'll have to be quick.
Yup. In most cases carriers will start announcing that they will also be carrying the device and when it may be available. They will also provide a page to pre-order or a holding page to keep bookmarked to be kept current with the latest news for that device.

If you pre-order the device it should be a guaranteed one. AT&T will keep you posted on inventory issues if there is going to be a problem with fulfilling your order.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Yup. In most cases carriers will start announcing that they will also be carrying the device and when it may be available. They will also provide a page to pre-order or a holding page to keep bookmarked to be kept current with the latest news for that device.

If you pre-order the device it should be a guaranteed one. AT&T will keep you posted on inventory issues if there is going to be a problem with fulfilling your order.

Thanks so much! Excited to pre order! Excited to see all about the phone Monday too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
And for the love.....ensure there isn't (or won't be) anything wrong with your payment method. Just wait until the carriers start shipping pre-orders - the threads will explode of people crying because their order didn't go through.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
And for the love.....ensure there isn't (or won't be) anything wrong with your payment method. Just wait until the carriers start shipping pre-orders - the threads will explode of people crying because their order didn't go through.
Yes, errors do happen. Just keep a close eye on your payment method and shipping details AT&T provides as we get closer to the device launch.