Share your Galaxy S5 camera photos, videos, and thoughts!

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
This is the place to discuss the Galaxy S5's photo/video performance, as well as to share photos, videos, panoramas, and other media that you've captured.

Here's some info on the S5's camera:

Camera: 16MP (rear), 2.0MP (front)
Video: H.263, H.264(AVC), MPEG4, VC-1, Sorenson Spark, MP43, WMV7, WMV8, VP8
Video Format: MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WEBM
Audio: MP3, AMR-NB/WB, AAC/ AAC+/ eAAC+, WMA, Vorbis, FLAC
Audio Format: MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA
Camera Features: HDR (Rich tone), Selective Focus, Virtual Tour Shot, Shot & More
Video Features: UHD@30fps, HDR, video stabilization​

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
The Z2 sensor and lens is the same as the Z1's (potential softness at certain parts of the image), but they introduced a dual-ISP system for faster and more accurate processing, we'll have to wait any see. 8MP is about right as far as quality resolution goes, Z1 results are too overprocessed at full 20. Samsung appears to be not going for sharpness at all, which is sensible, although even at 8MP the Xperia Z2 will have more details, but likely less color accuracy and dynamic range. I'm yet to decide which one is better for my needs, although of course I know Lumias do both best.

These S5 normal vs. Rich Tone (HRD) shots were made by a Taiwanese site, full shots in the link

老貓測3C - [MWC 2014] 三星 Samsung GALAXY S5 在西班牙現場觀察 軟體篇,實測HDR效果

big_0949qqv.jpg

big_109rquh.jpg

big_13uprrp.jpg

big_147voge.jpg

big_15rcuxg.jpg

big_16sxuip.jpg

All right, new stills from GSM Arena, normal vs. rich tone (HDR), direct linking so EXIF info should be included. Level of details don't justify 16MPs, but color reproduction and HDR quality is quite awesome!

gsmarena_103.jpg

gsmarena_104.jpg

gsmarena_110.jpg

gsmarena_109.jpg

gsmarena_112.jpg

gsmarena_111.jpg

gsmarena_106.jpg

gsmarena_105.jpg

ripped from another forum

TournaFlyer

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Just curious… Is it a known fact (from Samsung) that this IS the Isocell camera? I didn't hear it touted (or even mentioned) in the Unpacked video. Isocell is not listed in the specs on Samsung's website. Most of the press stories are saying it is isocell. Last I heard, they only had this tech with an eight mp camera so far.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Just curious? Is it a known fact (from Samsung) that this IS the Isocell camera? I didn't hear it touted (or even mentioned) in the Unpacked video. Isocell is not listed in the specs on Samsung's website. Most of the press stories are saying it is isocell. Last I heard, they only had this tech with an eight mp camera so far.

Android authority claims it is

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
These look great. We'll see how they turn out in every day use. These are very impressive though.

I don't suppose you can do that cool <shoot now, select your focus as near or far after shooting> thing with HDR on, can you?

starsofthelid

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Those sample shots look amazing. Way better than what my S3 can do.

So was there an official announcement about ISOCELL technology in the S5 or not?

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Just curious… Is it a known fact (from Samsung) that this IS the Isocell camera? I didn't hear it touted (or even mentioned) in the Unpacked video. Isocell is not listed in the specs on Samsung's website. Most of the press stories are saying it is isocell. Last I heard, they only had this tech with an eight mp camera so far.

I've been thinking the same thing. I saw some white papers from Samsung the other day detailing how their new Isocell sensors work, but I have seen nothing in the S5 marketing materials touting it as using their new sensor. It seems like, if the S5 were using this new tech, Samsung would make sure to plaster it everywhere they could. I have seen several tech sites claiming the S5 uses it, but nothing in the way of direct confirmation from Samsung. I guess we'll have to wait until April to see for ourselves.

thisOSis

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
up

Looks like simulated hdr and not real hdr that needs multiple exposures. The old iphone 4 was using simulated also

Last edited:

peteypab2133

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Btw not supper happy qith the camera quality. The nokia icon is superior in every aspect but the 4k video looks good in the right light. Its limited to 5 minute videos though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

jev425

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Btw not supper happy qith the camera quality. The nokia icon is superior in every aspect but the 4k video looks good in the right light. Its limited to 5 minute videos though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Can you post some pics of outside when you get a chance