Does the Galaxy S5 live up to your expectations?

Does the Galaxy S5 live up to your expectations?

• Total voters

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
you say two or more year spread. However the phone runs similar as to what the s3 did. That is my point. S4 was marginally better than the 3 and the 5 is marginally better than the 4.at least Apples 5s was way better than the 4s and even a good leap from the 5.

No it wasn't. It had a fingerprint scanner and a better camera. That's all. The 64 bit processor is wasted at the moment. It is only marginally better than the 5.

When Apple bring out a larger screen later this year and probably be 1080p resolution you will all he going on like they have reinvented the phone. Forgetting the fact that other phones have had these features for years.

erinpac

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I really thought it would have 3GB RAM, and a 32GB base model... The memory seemed to be fairly widely implied, and the space seems overdue. They already had so many problems with the space on the GS4, and less of those with the Note 3. What, did they think a bigger phone made the files bigger too? It makes no sense to repeat the same problem, and likely we will again see very very limited availability on the upper option. I guess I should have jumped on the Note 3 after all. When the Note 3 released, I went back and forth a dozen times, then thought I'd wait, as I'd prefer a phone and tablet than one in between... However, there doesn't appear to be anything here better than that, and it is almost as large. I was a little worried on the Note 3 not fitting easily in a pocket, but this will probably not be much different. It also is getting large enough to really blur the distinctions between the two lines, which I think will hurt them.

The design... meh. It looks like a flattened golf ball, but cases fix that. I actually was always fine with the plastic, and really most of the designs still look like a slab holding a screen, so didn't care much. I would have liked the leather-like back, but it just doesn't matter much. Size and button position matter a bit more for comfort, and sometimes for accessory use. The durability is nice, though the water proofing is probably not that necessary. I'd be wary relying on that too far anyways.

The fingerprint scanner might be interesting, but I'm expecting that to become the next common thing, and is not all that interesting.

I do not get how this is "back to basics". A heart monitor is a basic? None of the additions are 'basics'.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
was expecting a bit more of a premium build as I heard thrown around a few times by Samsung, same cheap plastic Samsung build quality, same tiny little rear mounted weak *** speaker, sorry but Samsung wont be taking anymore of my money, Ive had the S2, 3, and 4, but I believe HTC will be getting my money now, or dare I say........Apple! if they offer a 4.7" or larger screen on the iphone Im out

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
My expectation:

• Improved design
  • Smaller bezels (so smaller size)
  • Complete redesign of TouchWiz
  • Image stabilization
  • Slow motion (120fps)
  • Improved processor
  • Water resistant
  • 3Gb of Ram
  • 3000mAh
  • 32/64GB versions

I think they could easily deliver all of the above and not only few.

Big disappointment, thinking about Sony now, as don't want to wait for Note 4 it could be another disapointment

That's what's so great about having options

Posted via Android Central App

megagene

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was expecting the S5 to be a lot like the S4 except with better specs, new features, and some minor cosmetic differences and that's exactly what it turned out to be. I know a lot of people are crying foul as if the S5 is the biggest disappointment in gadget history, but I personally can't wait to upgrade from my S3 to the S5. Having skipped the S4 due to contract reasons, this will be a substantial upgrade for me.

habbadabbadu

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I want to wait to see what HTC has to offer on the 25th, they've been doing pretty good lately and if not pleased by that either, I'll hold off and get the Note 4 for sure.

mac00l

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
The Nexus doesn't use "stock" Android

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

I think most of us get that he meant "Vanilla" Android. Plus there are a lot of people that say "Stock Android" when referring to Vanilla. Which, in my opinion, when speaking in a non-developer environment it's fine.

Regarding the S5, TBH I had no expectations. But for me it is a phone that doesn't make sense. Back in the day it was envisioned as an iPhone killer, trying to compete with it in every posible aspect. But as it is today it has more of a dual personality. In the spec sheet it still is trying to compete in the high end segment. But design wise, it has heavy influence from the mid segment, I'm talking about the Nexus 5 and the Moto X. If we add the fact that touchwiz is a load of crap, and that it forces the Galaxy to rely on SD, we have a phone that in real life usage, is outperformed by less powerful phones as the Moto X.

I think both Samsung and Apple have lost focus. If companies with a clear goal in mind, such as HTC, Sony and Motorola keep on doing a really good job as they are currently, in a couple of years will turn the tide. The GSIII was a grand phone, but what was a winner formula 3 years ago, is no more.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I want to wait to see what HTC has to offer on the 25th, they've been doing pretty good lately and if not pleased by that either, I'll hold off and get the Note 4 for sure.

If the leaks are any indication (and we know how many people love taking leaks as facts around here), we already know what the HTC's next flagship will look like.

(Oh, it looks like an HTC One "s")

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
If the leaks are any indication (and we know how many people love taking leaks as facts around here), we already know what the HTC's next flagship will look like.

(Oh, it looks like an HTC One "s")

Guilty!!.....But they just merely caused illusions and blinded my judgement. Damn leaks....never again!!! :mad:

....lol! :D

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I really thought it would have 3GB RAM, and a 32GB base model... The memory seemed to be fairly widely implied, and the space seems overdue. They already had so many problems with the space on the GS4, and less of those with the Note 3. What, did they think a bigger phone made the files bigger too? It makes no sense to repeat the same problem, and likely we will again see very very limited availability on the upper option. I guess I should have jumped on the Note 3 after all. When the Note 3 released, I went back and forth a dozen times, then thought I'd wait, as I'd prefer a phone and tablet than one in between... However, there doesn't appear to be anything here better than that, and it is almost as large. I was a little worried on the Note 3 not fitting easily in a pocket, but this will probably not be much different. It also is getting large enough to really blur the distinctions between the two lines, which I think will hurt them.

The design... meh. It looks like a flattened golf ball, but cases fix that. I actually was always fine with the plastic, and really most of the designs still look like a slab holding a screen, so didn't care much. I would have liked the leather-like back, but it just doesn't matter much. Size and button position matter a bit more for comfort, and sometimes for accessory use. The durability is nice, though the water proofing is probably not that necessary. I'd be wary relying on that too far anyways.

The fingerprint scanner might be interesting, but I'm expecting that to become the next common thing, and is not all that interesting.

I do not get how this is "back to basics". A heart monitor is a basic? None of the additions are 'basics'.

The note 3 is still up there specwise anyway so you won't be missing out if you get a note 3 now.

Posted from my galaxy note 3

Gimpy2k7

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
They improve upon a piece of hardware across the board and people still complain about aesthetics that will be hidden from view and not impact the user experience...threatening to leave for a different company. Typical internet entitlement.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Probably just taking them a little longer to steal that hardware design. Stealing hardware is tougher than stealing design/software which Samsung has already being convicted of. Assigning business ethics and integrity to Samsung is a mistake.

No that's not accurate at all. If you look at the SoC's from both companies they aren't even going in the same direction. Apple designs its own core, while Samsung is still using ARM reference designs.

It would be premature to think that Samsung isn't working on it's own core, but right now there aren't any indications of when that will actually come to market. If they were "stealing" Apple's design it would already be here, since Apple is on their second generation.

garakhan

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I am happy with Samsung GS5!!!
Does it need refinement like iOS on iPhone, YES but I don't want to pay for iPhone6 price for GS3 specification.
Apple has copied Samsung LTE technology on iPhone4 and iPhone4s which Obama pardoned for import into USA from China. Apple has copied phablet from Samsung and LG, but does anyone care in USA? Not really. So I digress.
Do I want a "premium" aluminium case? NO, it's not a premium. Only in US and some EU countries are calling it a premium, because they got brainwashed by Apple. It bends easier than polycarbonate, it dents easily, it would heat up more on dash, it doesn't allow replaceable battery, no memory expansion, antenna doesn't work good. What is the premium? Oh the price.
For a general use smartphone, nothing beats GS5, unfortunately. HTC can't get their acts together. Sony has promising Xperia Z but it is having hard time getting them available on carriers plan.
Galaxy Note 4 would have been a good alternative to GS5, if it only had a water resistant shell.
I am mildly excited about GS6, but if it doesn't have any significant improvement then Oh Well, more wait!

1arryb

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
All in all, I have been very pleased with my S5. It's got a beautiful screen, is plenty fast, and has a much better camera than my previous phone (an SGN). Yes, 16G internal storage is small, but I bought an SD card for my music collection and that took care of that. My one serious complaint about this phone is the microphone, which is a tiny pin hole in the bottom-left corner of the phone's edge. It's extremely directional so it doesn't work worth a damn if you hold the phone in your left hand and I'm a lefty!.

salutcemoi

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
My disappointment isn't with the hardware but the horrible state of TouchWiz. They would gain alot imo if they allowed the actual removal/disabling of features not going to be used by the buyer instead of forcing them on everyone.

How do you know who uses the features or doesn't?

If you don't use them, it doesn't mean everybody else doesn't

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol