Galaxy S5 has the storage problem the Galaxy S4 had

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE
Galaxy S5 really offers 10GB of space, not 8GB...BETTER NEWS
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ly-offers-10gb-space-not-8gb-better-news.html

Samsung Galaxy S5 Storage Surprise Could Frustrate Buyers

The Samsung Galaxy S5 available storage is limited mainly by System Memory and Miscellaneous files on the device. The list below shows what is taking up space on the Galaxy S5.

System memory – 4.51GB
Used space – 589MB
Cached data – 14.33MB
Miscellaneous files – 2.25GB
This leaves 8.65GB of internal storage available to users. In addition to TouchWiz on top of Android, Samsung includes a number of S-Apps like S-health, S Translator and others which could account for the lack of user accessible storage

Galaxy-S5-Available-Storage-620x412.jpg

Last edited:

hardrocker89

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Why wouldn't they just bump storage to 32gb in the first place??!! Or offer 32 and 64 gb options. Silly sammy

Posted via Android Central App

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
This really bothers me too. I can't believe they are not making the 32 GB the minimum yet. I find some other the other complaints in the other threads pretty silly, but this one I agree with. I know they have the SD card, but all apps won't go there still as far as I know. This could have been rectified with a 32 GB minimum.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Now THIS is really annoying

Samsung Galaxy S5 Storage Surprise Could Frustrate Buyers

The Samsung Galaxy S5 available storage is limited mainly by System Memory and Miscellaneous files on the device. The list below shows what is taking up space on the Galaxy S5.

System memory ? 4.51GB
Used space ? 589MB
Cached data ? 14.33MB
Miscellaneous files ? 2.25GB
This leaves 8.65GB of internal storage available to users. In addition to TouchWiz on top of Android, Samsung includes a number of S-Apps like S-health, S Translator and others which could account for the lack of user accessible storage

View attachment 105859

That screen shot does not tell the whole story. Let's see a screen shot after a factory reset and format of the SD card. There's no doubt that the user will not be getting a full 16 GB to use. In reality, no device, that it know if, gives the user the full amount of storage advertised.

Does that mean the S5 cuts user available memory almost in half? Not necessarily. The device was already used and there could have been memory used, which is not shown in the screen shot.

For the record, I didn't read the source link so I'm basing my thoughts on the post and image.

Edit - I stand corrected.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
That screen shot does not tell the whole story. Let's see a screen shot after a factory reset and format of the SD card. There's no doubt that the user will not be getting a full 16 GB to use. In reality, no device, that it know if, gives the user the full amount of storage advertised.

Does that mean the S5 cuts user available memory almost in half? Not necessarily. The device was already used and there could have been memory used, which is not shown in the screen shot.

For the record, I didn't read the source link so I'm basing my thoughts on the post and image.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

I would assume the display models would replicate a factory reseted phone
Also I wouldnt be surprised since the S4 had the problem as well

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I actually don't think it's that big of a deal. As long as there's the option for a SD card, 16GB internal is plenty of space for most people. I have everything I could need installed and I have 5GB of internal space still free. An extra 16GB of unused space won't do me any good. I need at least 64GB internal if I'm going to go without an SD card slot so I can fit my music on my phone. In other words, I'll take a phone with 16GB internal and an SD card slot over a phone with 32GB and no SD slot any day. It seems like people who don't have huge apps and either don't put music on their phones or have so much music they need a lot of storage would be pretty common.

Now if you play games with fancy graphics then you'll probably run out of space a lot faster, but isn't that what the 32GB version is for?

That being said, it seems like we should be getting to the point where manufacturers will just drop the SD slot and give us bigger internal storage. Samsung might be reusing enough of the old mechanical designs to justify keeping the SD slot and lower internal memory. It's pure speculation because I haven't seen the S5, but there are some similarities between the S3 and S4 (though the board with the SD and SIM slots on it moved). Perhaps when they redo more of the mechanical design of the internals they'll drop the SD slot.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This isn't a 'problem.' It's a smartphone OS. Samsung has tons of extra features. You might not like it, but it isn't a problem.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I stand corrected - missed that article before posting.

That's because it didn't exist until ten minutes after you posted. :p

This isn't a 'problem.' It's a smartphone OS. Samsung has tons of extra features. You might not like it, but it isn't a problem.

You're right that the cause itself (system size) isn't a problem by nature, but the resulting lack of space on the internal storage is a legitimate concern for many — even on devices with 'support' for external storage.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
This is a bit of a problem for me because on my S4, there are times I have been warned I was running out of space to download apps, and had to figure what to delete
I do have 133 apps though lol

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I actually don't think it's that big of a deal. As long as there's the option for a SD card, 16GB internal is plenty of space for most people. I have everything I could need installed and I have 5GB of internal space still free. An extra 16GB of unused space won't do me any good. I need at least 64GB internal if I'm going to go without an SD card slot so I can fit my music on my phone. In other words, I'll take a phone with 16GB internal and an SD card slot over a phone with 32GB and no SD slot any day. It seems like people who don't have huge apps and either don't put music on their phones or have so much music they need a lot of storage would be pretty common.

Now if you play games with fancy graphics then you'll probably run out of space a lot faster, but isn't that what the 32GB version is for?

That being said, it seems like we should be getting to the point where manufacturers will just drop the SD slot and give us bigger internal storage. Samsung might be reusing enough of the old mechanical designs to justify keeping the SD slot and lower internal memory. It's pure speculation because I haven't seen the S5, but there are some similarities between the S3 and S4 (though the board with the SD and SIM slots on it moved). Perhaps when they redo more of the mechanical design of the internals they'll drop the SD slot.

Well I agree and disagree with you on this. Personally I don't do well with 16GB of internal storage with android devices. The S4 was even worse as the OS took up so much space. There isn't enough room for apps. I know you can put them on the SD card but part of it still stays on the phone. Some things like google play movies, podcasts, other downloaded content can't be stored on the SD card. However for some people like my boyfriend who I gave the S4 after getting the note 3, 16 GB is fine.

However what I'm more happy about is the fact that it takes a 128 GB micro SD card. That's awsome.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
This is a bit of a problem for me because on my S4, there are times I have been warned I was running out of space to download apps, and had to figure what to delete
I do have 133 apps though lol

My S4 was unworkable because of this. It drove me to the iphone 5S because I was frustrated and need more internal storage. I think they should have made the base model 32 GB like they did with the note 3. That is a perfect phone for me. It has enough internal storage and for the first time I've been able to use an android phone as I've always wanted to.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Something else that needs to be kept in mind is all apps are getting bigger, not just games. Some productivity apps can rival games in size. Also remember that the downloaded size is like a zip file. It gets bigger after installation.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Something else that needs to be kept in mind is all apps are getting bigger, not just games. Some productivity apps can rival games in size. Also remember that the downloaded size is like a zip file. It gets bigger after installation.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

One thing I have also noticed is that when u update apps from the app store, the apps become larger than they previously were...which is an issue if the space is only 8GB

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely stunned by this. And Samsung is readying its software expansion with Tizen? Perhaps Samsung needs to adhere more closely to a no frills, basic Android approach because Samsung's software direction is having disconcerting consequences.

Posted via Android Central App

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
After all the heat they took last year with the s4, I was hoping for more. It's stupid to give users 8gigs of space...I don't want to move apps and crap to an SD card. Lets not forget, verizon still has to add the 5 amazon apps and 10 other bloat apps too...so im thinking 5 useable. I feel like Samsung is trying to ruin android for everyone... My X has 16 gigs with over 11 useable (only 3 bloat apps..thank god). Even on this phone, I barely have enough room to keep just some of the pictures I want. I have to delete games just to be able to take a picture sometimes. I hate having "cloud" pictures..not only does it use data but I must wait for every little picture to load and scroll through waiting until I find the one I'm looking for. Samsung should be ashamed for how crappy their products are becoming. I almost want to go back to the iPhone..Apple might be restrictive but at least it seems like their employees graduated high school. I want to beat the people responsible at Samsung. I know its just a phone but I had high hopes for this phone, esp with the note 3 having 32 standard. Stupid! Judging from most comments I've read, Samsung really dropped the ball on this phone (at least tech sites/forums). I think its either Apple or HTC (possibly x2 later this year) for me next. Or perhaps Samsung will surprise us and make a last minute change to 32/64..highly unlikely...that'd be too smart for them..obviously.

Posted via Android Central App from my Moto X