Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Am I the only one who's extremely disappointed & shocked by S5's "low" resolution 1920x1080 screen?

Am I the only one who's extremely disappointed & shocked by S5's "low" resolution 1920x1080 screen?

I was totally expecting a MUCH higher screen resolution. Now I have no will power to "upgrade" from the Note 2 and Note 3 to the S5. (mostly because I have never used the S-pen for the last couple of years)

Default Re: Am I the only one who's extremely disappointed & shocked by S5's "low" resolution 1920x1080 scr

The S5 records 4K videos though, which I think is nyce
    Most phones have that resolution anyways
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -

Default Re: Am I the only one who's extremely disappointed & shocked by S5's "low" resolution 1920x1080 scr

No. There is absolutely no need for ultra HD on a PHONE. Your eyes cannot tell the difference when you pass the mid 300s in PPI. The only thing you'd get from the 2k or whatever the rumoured display resolution was is lower battery life

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by 2:
    Xiphias, deadp1xel, onsoku and 5 others like this.

I doubt you will be the ONLY one disappointed.

But I am not disappointed at all. The GS4 display is fantastic IMO, and much higher res display would crush battery life probably. In the preso, they talked a lot about the improved display from the GS4, brighter, better controls, etc. In any case I am really happy with what was announced. I'll appreciate the better camera, processor, better battery life, and screen - as long as they actually are better as advertised.
    Rick Bell likes this.

Show me a flaghsip android phone with a 4k display.
    Last edited by shanghaichica; 02-24-2014 at 05:48 PM.
    deadp1xel likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by dsignori View Post
    I doubt you will be the ONLY one disappointed.

But I am not disappointed at all. The GS4 display is fantastic IMO, and much higher res display would crush battery life probably. In the preso, they talked a lot about the improved display from the GS4, brighter, better controls, etc. In any case I am really happy with what was announced. I'll appreciate the better camera, processor, better battery life, and screen - as long as they actually are better as advertised.
    Yes and no.... that's what they said when Samsung released the S4 and Note 3 with 1920x1080 screen.
    People said the 1280x720p screens on the S3 and Note 2 was plenty.

Global Posts
    5,615 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Like has been mentioned above, why do you need anything over 1080p on such a small display. The S5 is still over 400ppi. The difference in display sharpness would be negligible

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
    deadp1xel likes this.

1920x1800 isn't low resolution

Thanked by 2:

Your eyes will not notice the difference between 1080 and 1440. Both are way over the ppi at normal viewing distance.

And the people that say there is a difference doesn't know the difference between sharpness, brightness or contrast. 720 to 1080 is enough to notice a difference but 1080 to 1440 is just overkill. I'd rather a 1080 display and better battery life than a 1440 display which looks good on paper but not in real life.
    Droid RAZR MAXX/Xoom/4510 LTE MiFi
    deadp1xel likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,236 Global Posts

I'm fine with any smartphone display around 300 PPI.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I'm fine with any smartphone display around 300 PPI.
    And better battery life.
    Droid RAZR MAXX/Xoom/4510 LTE MiFi
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry and onsoku like this.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    The S5 records 4K videos though, which I think is nyce
    Most phones have that resolution anyways
    It's limited to 5m's.
    Last edited by dpham00; 02-26-2014 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yourphonemyphone View Post
    Am I the only one who's extremely disappointed & shocked by S5's "low" resolution 1920x1080 screen?

I was totally expecting a MUCH higher screen resolution. Now I have no will power to "upgrade" from the Note 2 and Note 3 to the S5. (mostly because I have never used the S-pen for the last couple of years)
    If the S5 did have a 1440p screen, I definitely would have been more wow'ed! That's for sure. I like bright, vibrant displays.
    Last edited by dpham00; 02-26-2014 at 10:08 PM.
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,671 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Really I simply don't understand why you would want a 2k display on a 5.1 inch screen. Mobile gpus are just getting to the point to were they can push these displays at 60fps and you want something that's going to tax the soc and battery even more. We have gotten to the point that these displays are good. I would rather have Samsung make a true rgb strip 1080p amoled display

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Holm View Post
    If the S5 did have a 1440p screen, I definitely would have been more wow'ed! That's for sure. I like bright, vibrant displays.

I don't use, or acknowledge the word ""troll"".
    Brightness and vibrance don't go hand in hand with resolution

Thanked by 2:
    cresterRy 
    Ry, crester, OTACORB and 1 others like this.

Global Posts
    4,851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

What is the supposed need for a 2k display? You can't tell its there, it will only drain the battery faster and its just not necessary. If you put it on a tablet, maybe, laptop sure but 5" phone, just say no.

ROM
    Viper

1080p is the final threshold for smartphone sized screens. It is the point that you will not ever be able to see a pixel. 720p is close, but you can just barely see the difference side by side with 1080p. I guarantee you would not be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 1440p.

Plus it takes more horsepower to run a higher resolution. This does not automatically mean there will be issues, but a lower resolution is a safer bet for a better experience. Especially if you are on the line for being able to handle the higher res(like many of the 2013 phones).
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired

Global Posts
    823 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gingerbread Deck, Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by ErnstMach View Post
    No. There is absolutely no need for ultra HD on a PHONE. Your eyes cannot tell the difference when you pass the mid 300s in PPI. The only thing you'd get from the 2k or whatever the rumoured display resolution was is lower battery life

Totally a marketing gimmick apple pushed. The actual number is more like 500ppi or so. Now I'm not agreeing with the OP or disagreeing. Though after 2k on phones below 6 inches it will be completely pointless to up the resolution.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
    Razr>Juke>POS Blitz(Broken)>Droid> Epic 4g(returned)>Nexus S 4g

Global Posts
    5,615 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by enik View Post
    Totally a marketing gimmick apple pushed. The actual number is more like 500ppi or so. Now I'm not agreeing with the OP or disagreeing. Though after 2k on phones below 6 inches it will be completely pointless to up the resolution.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
    No, it is fact that the human eye can't distinguish pixels beyond the 300 or PPI mark. Doesn't mean the display can't be more sharp...

Thanked by:

You get a 2k or 4k display then you'll complain about the phones terrible battery life.

Posted with my Moto X
    20blks, OTACORB and Haalcyon like this.

Extremely disappointed? Shocked? Low Resolution 1920x1080 screen?

Nah - until someone can demonstrate to me that I could even discern a difference between the "Low" resolution 1920x1080 5.1" screen, and a higher density, I could not care less. Even if they could, which I highly doubt, the increased battery drain would likely outweigh the unlikely benefit.

Global Posts
    558 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock for now.

I can't even tell the difference between 720p on my moto x and 1080p on my friend's GS4.

It all depends on the distance your ate viewing the display from as well. I guess if you use your phone an inch away from your face you will be much more sensitive to resolution.

Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

What I'm disappointed in is that there is not 3/4 GB of RAM!! As has been said by everyone above me, I do not need a higher resolution screen that I will barely be able to tell the difference between (if at all), plus it will drain the battery quicker.

Global Posts
    5,615 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by Joe113 View Post
    What I'm disappointed in is that there is not 3/4 GB of RAM!! As has been said by everyone above me, I do not need a higher resolution screen that I will barely be able to tell the difference between (if at all), plus it will drain the battery quicker.
    There is no need for 3GB of RAM. Other phones do just fine without it, and the Note 3 only needs it because its version of TouchWiz has added functionality

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    There is no need for 3GB of RAM. Other phones do just fine without it, and the Note 3 only needs it because its version of TouchWiz has added functionality

Is there anything at all that you don't like about the phone? You seem to disagree with so many peoples complaints so I was just curious.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast