Sticking with my Galaxy S4

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Sticking with my S4.

Addressing your s4 with 'slimkat', how do you like your phone rooted? Compared to having touchwiz I mean.

Posted via Android Central App

A lot better than having TW. No lag, better UI, and way better battery life. Plus being able to use root only apps like Titanium backup

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Kolten Nay

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

A lot better than having TW. No lag, better UI, and way better battery life. Plus being able to use root only apps like Titanium backup

Did you lose anything from your phone when you rooted?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Did you lose anything from your phone when you rooted?

No, but I didn't have to unlock the bootloader when I did it. Now all of the phones on 4.3 or newer have a locked bootloader because of Knox. In that case you would lose user data.
I backed up my data, and then flashed a custom ROM (Originally CyanogenMod) which also deletes user data.

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

Yeah I won't be jumping ship for the S5, I'm really not impressed with the overall design of the phone that leather back is what blows me. There aren't enough new features that make me wanna leave my S4 for it. I'll sit this one out and see what comes next!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Yeah I won't be jumping ship for the S5, I'm really not impressed with the overall design of the phone that leather back is what blows me. There aren't enough new features that make me wanna leave my S4 for it. I'll sit this one out and see what comes next!

The back isn't leather, it's still plastic, but it's the soft-touch plastic that's used on Nexus phones. It feels a lot better :)

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

The back isn't leather, it's still plastic, but it's the soft-touch plastic that's used on Nexus phones. It feels a lot better :)

Excuse me, I should have said leather back feel. I just don't like the look of it for my taste.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

No, but I didn't have to unlock the bootloader when I did it. Now all of the phones on 4.3 or newer have a locked bootloader because of Knox. In that case you would lose user data.
I backed up my data, and then flashed a custom ROM (Originally CyanogenMod) which also deletes user data.

Even the de/gpe?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Even the de/gpe?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Are you asking about Knox? No, they don't have it, but I'm not sure if the bootloader is unlocked out of the box.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

I think the S5 is a nice looking phone with some great specs, but I don't see any reason to upgrade from my S3. People get way to hung up on specs, when they don't really mean anything.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

I think I may upgrade from my S4 to the S5. I like that it's water resistant and will probably be better on battery. I also like how the camera should be even better, I get tired of my camera processing. I want the Gear Fit and I know I'll be staying with Samsung phones so I figure why not get the S5, never know when they'll stop letting you use removable batteries and I'd like to have the newest device when they do so I can hang on to it for two years. Privacy mode is also a plus.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I think the S5 is a nice looking phone with some great specs, but I don't see any reason to upgrade from my S3. People get way to hung up on specs, when they don't really mean anything.

Most end users never truly use each and every feature. I want a device where I can use it as intended and not worry about the battery. Why should I have to cripple my S4 to get through the day without recharging? :D

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site

I'll be upgrading from my S4 & Note 3 combo.
I'm looking forward to water resistance, better focusing camera and the low battery power saving feature to name a few.

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

Its definitely better than Galaxy S4 and its much more advanced too.
but GS4 is just enough for my current needs.

There is no point in wasting money on something which isn't compelling enough.

Even Galaxy S3 is decent phone still.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

IMO there is no compelling reason to upgrade a 1 year old phone (S4 => S5) but if you were on a 2+ year old phone then yes its worth it. As for it being an incremental device that could be said for any device released today. There isn't much they can do to WOW us anymore. 1080p screens, 2GB RAM, processors are fast just to be fast. Camera is one way, battery mgt is another way, battery sizse, overall design and software enhancements that won't be pushed out to the prior generation.

For me I am in between phones so I can get the S5 and not feel like its incremental but all new for me. Next year the S6 may still be incremental to the OP and to me and I may or may not upgrade its just depends on what I see at that time.

Zdot7

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
s4, s5 what's the difference? The waterproof feature will only apply to people who go swimming with their phones -,-