Thoughts on SGS5 design?

chowdog13

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I would like to know what your thoughts are on the Galaxy S5's design. I don't think its ugly, but I would have liked to see less bezel on the sides.
The back looks interesting, especially since it appears to have the same look and feel of the 2012 Nexus 7. Overall I'm interested to see what
your first impressions are.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't like that the phone got taller even though the screen only slightly increased. I also don't like the bottom bezels being so big.
The back is good, but they could have skipped on the perforated pattern. Speaker placement also looks pretty awkward

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

jfe58

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Unlike many people, I don't feel this was a complete failure on the part of Samsung.

They sold 200 million of the S4. Samsung is sticking with a winner.

I read where some people are complaining Samsung should have added more RAM, a faster processor, zero bezel, etc. All those will come. But cost and marketing wise, I think this is an excellent way to go. They said it in their presentation... we're giving people what they want.

Once again, here is a collection of the promotional images:

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/jfe58/sets/72157641486012654/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using AC Forums mobile app

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I would have liked if they kept the s4 size and added what they did with the s5 into the s4. I mean people already are complaining about it. I'm not surprised, samsung seems to want to keep the devices looking the same, which hey they are copying apple so makes sense they keep similar design. I am glad they did away with the glossy plastic, and maybe I am in the minority but I actually like the nexus 7esque like dimpled back. I won't be getting one, as I will be waiting to see what else is out in the near future (new htc one, g3, etc) but I am sure samsung will sell a ton of these like always, and hopefully the new touchwiz runs better than touchwiz of old.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it looks like the S4 as others are saying...I think it looks fine
I dont like the back but the reviews are saying it feels nice...guess Ill find out

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think it looks like the S4 as others are saying...I think it looks fine
I dont like the back but the reviews are saying it feels nice...guess Ill find out

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Unlike many people, I don't feel this was a complete failure on the part of Samsung.

They sold 200 million of the S4. Samsung is sticking with a winner.

I read where some people are complaining Samsung should have added more RAM, a faster processor, zero bezel, etc. All those will come. But cost and marketing wise, I think this is an excellent way to go. They said it in their presentation... we're giving people what they want.

Once again, here is a collection of the promotional images:

Welcome to Flickr!

They didn't sell 40 million S4s :confused:
Samsung claims 40 million Galaxy S4s have been sold since launch | Android Central
Mind you, that was in October, but I doubt they've kept up the pace since then. Probably closer to 50 million

skwon09

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
200 million on GS1-4 combined, not 4 alone. Samsung is lucky if they end up selling 70-80 million S4s. They were very doubtful so released S5 this early.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
200 million on GS1-4 combined, not 4 alone. Samsung is lucky if they end up selling 70-80 million S4s. They were very doubtful so released S5 this early.

Lucky if they sell 70-80? I get that they were expecting more sales, but 40-50 million is still A LOT. And no, they didn't release the S5 any earlier because of the S4 sales. The S4 was released in April. The S5 will also be released in April

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm torn. given the minimal screen bump the size bumped up a lot comparatively. I would actually opt for the GS4, but given its a year old updates will likely end is 4.5/5.0 whichever its called which isn't a great thought. I mean its only 6 weeks to wait.

tannerrblake

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Samsung is usually great with increasing screen size and keeping the device relatively the same size, although looking at the GS4 it didn't look like there was that much room. However, for only a .1 inch increase in screen size, the S5 looks a lot bigger than it needs to be. The bezels look pretty big too. Love the internals, camera, new software, etc, but the design is a little off-putting to me. Granted, I have no knowledge of how the internals of a phone are arranged, and for all we know the waterproofing and other design components require the necessary space. Just my two cents. :)

Posted via Android Central App

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
For anyone interested, here's some leaks from Samsung's design department showing the inspiration behind the S5 design:

uqa7ydu8.jpg

ta6anenu.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1393288711204.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1393288801246.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1393288835137.jpg

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Hate it. I honestly thought they might go away from that cheap and ugly design of past. I hate the cheap back, can't stand the faux metal bezel around the front. The cheap looking button. When I saw and heard about their new magazine ui I had hope that the design itself would follow suit and they would make something sleek along the likes of the z2 or HTC one. Instead we get the same exact thing as the s3 and s4. I was waiting for the announcement of this to decide which phone I would be getting next. Sadly this makes my decision a bit easier.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Samsung is usually great with increasing screen size and keeping the device relatively the same size, although looking at the GS4 it didn't look like there was that much room. However, for only a .1 inch increase in screen size, the S5 looks a lot bigger than it needs to be. The bezels look pretty big too. Love the internals, camera, new software, etc, but the design is a little off-putting to me. Granted, I have no knowledge of how the internals of a phone are arranged, and for all we know the waterproofing and other design components require the necessary space. Just my two cents. :)

They did it for the water and dust proofing, you are correct :)

F123D

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Disappointed. Totally thought Samsung would've gone with premium materials and updated the design. Not recycle the same design for the third year in a row.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Disappointed. Totally thought Samsung would've gone with premium materials and updated the design. Not recycle the same design for the third year in a row.

They save manufacturing costs by recycling Dr. Scholl's inserts and bicycle seats though.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

The soft touch back is a lot more premium that the glossy plastic they used before. The faux metal band didn't feel bad on the S4

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I like a number of things they've done with it, but the one thing I can't get past is the new back cover. Maybe it looks better in person (I bet it does), but in these pictures the only word I can think of to describe it is "tacky." I'm sure it definitely feels better than the glossy plastic, but I think I might actually prefer the general style of those better. I mean, the front is fine, but I look at the back, and I immediately think of a golf ball or like someone cut out the material from one of my grandma's purses. I haven't seen too many pictures of the white so I can't really say for that, but I'd instantly count the blue, and especially the gold, out, which pretty much leaves black. Stripes or lines would have probably looked better, but these little dimples just don't look that great.

The camera bump looks a little nicer though. I like how it looks more rectangular compared to the S4. The only other thing so far is that cover for the port on the bottom looks huge. Like dang.

jfe58

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
They didn't sell 40 million S4s :confused:
Samsung claims 40 million Galaxy S4s have been sold since launch | Android Central
Mind you, that was in October, but I doubt they've kept up the pace since then. Probably closer to 50 million

I'm going by the figures they threw out at today's unpack event.

Judging by what I see and hear from those around me (non-technical non-geeks) they seem to love the GS3 and GS4. It's easy to navigate and gives them what they want. This seemed to be exactly what the head of Samsung was saying.

jfe58

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Samsung has always been unapologetically plastic. I don't expect them to change anytime soon.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz